FFMPEG using 95% CPU?

KayJay

KayJay

Hey guys, ran into another problem. I'll be attaching photos of my PC specs (just to know if that is the issue) and a picture of the CPU usage during streaming 1 movie to my living room. MMPEG is using 95%~ CPU usage. Should it be using this, I know my CPU is a little old but it wasn't using this 2-3 weeks ago for just one film? I don't know what FFMPEG does so maybe there is a way to fix this, I don't know. I'm useless with this stuff. Any advice is good advice at this moment, thanks!

post-2867-0-38916300-1462006254_thumb.png

post-2867-0-04305200-1462006256_thumb.jpg

Edited by KayJay

c0m3r

FFMPEG is used by the server to transcode media where necessary which can be a very resource intensive task. If the vast majority of your library can be direct played or streamed you wont see FFMPEG. What device are you using in the living room and what client?

KayJay

I've got a Roku 2XD running in the living room and a client someone uploaded on here. My media is all on my HDD and I thought it was just pulling it from there and sending it through, had no idea it needed transcoding. 

KayJay

I first got a NowTV and added the then Roku app to that and it worked fine. Since then I upgraded the Roku to a Roku 2XD and installed a new app I seen on here (Theme Blue Neon Night). The new app is using 95%~ CPU but when I play the same film on the old app the CPU usage stays at a steady 2%. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the latest/sturdiest Roku app is that you guys have got?

Edited by KayJay

legallink

The Blue Neon theme has the most configuration options for Roku, however, the Roku can't deal with vety many formats natively so it has to transcode. I'm not sure actually that the Roku 2xd is an upgrade as far as hardware/capabilities are. Anyways, regardless it sounds like an options issue on the blue neon app. Fiddle with some of the settings so it matches what your original files on your hard drive are and that should stop the transcoding.

KayJay

I've just come to bed and it's at it again without me streaming a movie but a task is running 'creating thumbnails'. Could this be why the FFMPEG is running? If so how do I stop it?

I've just come to bed and it's at it again without me streaming a movie but a task is running 'creating thumbnails'. Could this be why the FFMPEG is running? If so how do I stop it?

Hi, please see how to report a problem and then we'll be able to determine what is consuming the cpu. Thanks.

Keep in mind - I already think I know the answer, and it's something you had to specifically enable and were given a warning that it would consume additional cpu.

Luke is right, the culprit is likely the "roku thumbnail" task which creates thumbnails in bif format for files which can direct play. Assuming you have the roku thumbnail plugin installed.

If you updated your emby server this introduces a new transcoding method on the server. This method may consume more cpu% for all apps, but quality is much better.

If you consistently see this problem with the blue neon app I would need to see media info for that particular file.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

I don't know what to do to prevent you from thinking there's an Emby problem. Should we just not have the Roku thumbnail feature? Would it just be easier that way?

KayJay

I thought I commented on this again yesterday but it's not showing so i'll say it again. Probably a one off case because I have such a massive amount of data on here and my database broke the other day that creating thumbnails for everything I've got is going to take weeks! (overnight 8~ hours does 1%) I can't put my PC through that much extensive use. So I've uninstalled the plugin and I don't mind not having it. If there was any other way of speeding it up then I would possibly use it again but for now it's not that big of a deal for me. Thanks for helping me guys, really appreciate it and love Emby as a whole, wouldn't ever use anything else.

Edited by KayJay

I don't know what to do to prevent you from thinking there's an Emby problem. Should we just not have the Roku thumbnail feature? Would it just be easier that way?

People just dont understand that this feature requires building thumbnails. It doesnt just magically download them all like it can metadata, fanart, etc. This feature is one of those that makes the roku more pleasureable to use. Of course we need this plugin even if some people dont realize it adds additional load to the server to originally generate these images. There is nothing you need to do luke. The community needs to help educate users of this.

People just dont understand that this feature requires building thumbnails. It doesnt just magically download them all like it can metadata, fanart, etc. This feature is one of those that makes the roku more pleasureable to use. Of course we need this plugin even if some people dont realize it adds additional load to the server to originally generate these images. There is nothing you need to do luke. The community needs to help educate users of this.

No, our reality is that the education needs to be in-app or many people think there's an Emby problem and end up leaving.

• 3 weeks later...
adcsstl

I am also having a problem with FFMPEG using 90%+ of CPU.  I have been using Emby for about 1 1/2 years.  This problem has only been occurring for a few weeks.   

For my configuration, I use both Roku 2's and 3's.   NOTE: I do not have the Roku Thumbnails plug in.  The problem occurs most frequently when I play recorded television but it does occur on some other media.  I have an HD Homerun Prime and Windows 7.  I use MCE Buddy to convert the video and remove commercials.  (I have tried playing the straight recorded .WTV videos and have the same problem.)  

I am having a hard time deciding where the issue resides because:

1) Emby has updated several times in the last 2 months.  

2) I installed the Neon Blue app.  However, I have tried watching shows using both the Blue Neon app and the current Emby Roku app.  The problem occurs on both apps.  

3) There is a problem in the encoding required by Emby/Roku which leads to Emby transcoding during playback.  

Are there any settings I have missed in Emby which can help with direct playback?  What would be the BEST format to encode programming to try and prevent transcoding from occurring?  (I have tried several different settings in MCE Buddy but haven't found any settings which successfully resolve the problem.)  I have mostly focused on H.264 and MP4 since Roku supports these formats.

My goal is the highest quality video (1080p) with 5.1 sound (if possible).

Thanks for the help.

MSattler

I am also having a problem with FFMPEG using 90%+ of CPU.  I have been using Emby for about 1 1/2 years.  This problem has only been occurring for a few weeks.   

For my configuration, I use both Roku 2's and 3's.   NOTE: I do not have the Roku Thumbnails plug in.  The problem occurs most frequently when I play recorded television but it does occur on some other media.  I have an HD Homerun Prime and Windows 7.  I use MCE Buddy to convert the video and remove commercials.  (I have tried playing the straight recorded .WTV videos and have the same problem.)  

I am having a hard time deciding where the issue resides because:

1) Emby has updated several times in the last 2 months.  

2) I installed the Neon Blue app.  However, I have tried watching shows using both the Blue Neon app and the current Emby Roku app.  The problem occurs on both apps.  

3) There is a problem in the encoding required by Emby/Roku which leads to Emby transcoding during playback.  

Are there any settings I have missed in Emby which can help with direct playback?  What would be the BEST format to encode programming to try and prevent transcoding from occurring?  (I have tried several different settings in MCE Buddy but haven't found any settings which successfully resolve the problem.)  I have mostly focused on H.264 and MP4 since Roku supports these formats.

My goal is the highest quality video (1080p) with 5.1 sound (if possible).

Thanks for the help.

Depending on the bit rate for me most content on the Roku ends up being transcoded, because all of my content is 1:1 BluRay rips.

Recent builds have made changes in regards to QuickSync Transcoding, in that Quick Sync is now only used for encoding the file.  If you are using QuickSync transcoding, then that could be why cpu utilization is now higher.

adcsstl

How would I know if I am using QuickSync transcoding?  Is that part of Emby or part of MCE Buddy?  

Thanks again.

dcook

I use EMBY on my ROKU3 daily and never have a CPU issue on my server, I don't know what blue neon is, but when I added the EMBY app on my Roku3, I just searched for EMBY and it was the only one on the list (green emby logo)

This app works perfect, I have had no issues at all.

dcook

So blue neon is just a theme for the EMBY Roku App? or its a separate EMBY Roku App?

I don't see the point, the original Emby app for Roku works wonderful, I have never had an issue, its easy to use and very fast.  All thumbnails work fine also.

To each their own I guess, but my theory is if its not broke, don't fix it.

So blue neon is just a theme for the EMBY Roku App? or its a separate EMBY Roku App?

I don't see the point, the original Emby app for Roku works wonderful, I have never had an issue, its easy to use and very fast. All thumbnails work fine also.

To each their own I guess, but my theory is if its not broke, don't fix it.

This is why I posted the link to that thread. You must enjoy the monochrome look and lack of features of the official app? My theory is you can lead a horse to cleaner water, but you cant force it to drink. Edited by speechles

dcook

This is why I posted the link to that thread. You must enjoy the monochrome look and lack of features of the official app? My theory is you can lead a horse to cleaner water, but you cant force it to drink.

Since I use my ROKU to play movie/tv/music from my library, and it does that very well, not sure what other "features" I would need for the roku?

But good to know there are other EMBY compatible ROKU apps, I will have to spend time reading that thread you referenced.

As far as the monochrome look, I have full color, not monochrome, Roku starts off in purple theme, once clicking on Emby I get black backgound with all my library choices in full color.  To me the default emby app is very similar to netflix both in appearance and how to navigate so it was easy for the kids and wife to pick it up.  Not sure why you would think its monochrome?