DLNA Profiles help

TomTiddler

TomTiddler

As an absolute newbie to DLNA in general, is there anywhere people can recommend for help understanding how to construct/modify/understand DLNA profiles.

I checked the Emby Wiki, but that whole subject is "under construction".

Hi, you have to first understand what exactly your device supports for media formats. have you done that?

TomTiddler

To the extent that I can, yes. I'm particularly keen to get some WD TV Live boxes working with BluRay rips, and keep running into some variation of "unsupported format". (WD error messages may well be some of the least helpful I've ever encountered.) The problem I'm having is that I'm immensely ignorant of the "terminology" being used in the profile section. e.g. "identification" - is this something the WD "sends" to Emby, or vice versa, i.e. am I defining something, or specifying something to be recognized? In the DirectPlay section for example, one entry says

Container: ts,m2ts

Video Codec: mpeg1video,mpeg2video,h264,vc1

Audio Codec: ac3,dca,mp2,mp3,aac,dca

So is this telling the Emby server that for  files of type *.ts or *.m2ts, any of the specified codecs can be used? does the order express a preference, so mpeg1video first choice? Or is it more like a *.ts container encoded as h264/aac is playable directly by the device"?

I suspect all of this is revealing the depths of my ignorance on the subject, and I'm just looking for any help on where to go to try and remedy that ignorance :)

Happy2Play

Since we are talking about the WDTV Live the basics are done already, there is a profile provided already.  All you have to do make any customization and hit save to work on your own custom profile. 

So is this telling the Emby server that for  files of type *.ts or *.m2ts, any of the specified codecs can be used? does the order express a preference, so mpeg1video first choice? Or is it more like a *.ts container encoded as h264/aac is playable directly by the device"?

It means that those two containers can have any combination of those codecs.

WD has a pretty good compatibility list.

Edited by Happy2Play