Movies Genre Folder images

RobsterUK

RobsterUK

Sorry to post another images for Movie by Genre thread, but I didn't want to hijack other threads with my specific issue.

I am running the Sever on a Synology NAS so the folder structure is slightly different.

Anyway, the screen shot shows that I have tried to place images files into the 'Genre' folder, but they are not displaying in WMC.

post-21839-0-28994300-1461870963_thumb.jpg

I'm not totally sure what the file names should even be.

For the background image I've tried background, backdrop and fanart.jpg

For the folder image I've tried poster & folder - but these I want to be a .png - will png's work?

After trying these different filenames I've exited WMC, stopped the server then started it again & a couple of times run a library scan.

Which of these steps in necessary for the changes to be picked up?

I need a little guidance.

What filenames will work?

When testing, what steps to pick up the changes?

Am I putting them into the correct folder?

The answer is still the same as in the other thread:

that image needs to go in "[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\"

RobsterUK

OK, looking at the folder structure I have metadata\ but no General within that folder.

Do I need to create the folders "General\Movies by Genre".

Because I do have metadata\Genre - which contains all of the Genres - Action, Animation, Comedy etc

These folders contain landscape & poster.jpg which is displayed in WMC.

And what filenames should the image files be?

RobsterUK

OK, I have created 'General\Movies By Genre' folders and added backdrop.jpg and folder.png.

Ran a Library Scan, then stopped and re-started the server service. Closing WMC in between each stage.

Still cannot get the images to display.

Obviously I am still doing something wrong, but I really don't know what!?!

post-21839-0-98062000-1461960163_thumb.jpg

If you look at your server dashboard under "Paths" is that where your metadata path is pointing?

RobsterUK

Essentially, yes.

Paths from dashboard states

Metadata:
/usr/local/emby/var/metadata

But due to the Synology folder structure essentially the emby folder in that path is a junction (using WinSCP it shows as a link in the GUI) to the same emby location in this path:

/volume1/@appstore/emby/var/metadata/General/Movies By Genre

As the folders within the 'metadata' folder are the same.

I did try to add the folders 'General\Movies by Genre' into the same location as the folder paths that store the images for the library locations.

But when I tried to run a library scan it caused the server to crash. Once I removed it again the library scan completed successfully.

• 1 year later...
One2Go

Getting to the point of fine tuning the last bits. I am now trying to get the "Movies By Genre" EHS entry to display in a sensible way and have found one of Throg's views to accommodate that but need a bit of advice below are a few screen shots the way it looks now.

Action Genre View

I7luDSlS.jpg

Business,  Foreign and Mini Series Genre View that show an image with either just one, duplicate or erroneous images.

HmN7blv3.jpg

Foreign Genre

gYXkuxw7.jpg

Mini Series Genre

kL3RsdfQ.jpg

Where are these images located? Can they be changed by an entry in the following location?

[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\Action\

[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\\Business\

[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\\Foreign\

[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\Mini Series\

Also what type of image format is required Poster.jpg, Thumb.jpg, Backdrop.jpg or Fanart,jpg OR the png variant?

Thanks for helping me to complete the settings.

Use the web app.  Bring up the genres, then right click them and select "Edit Images..."

One2Go

I can't get to what you are telling me. Below are two screen shots of how the Genre is being brought up and I presume I am in the Web App but no where can I see how to right click on a Genre image. I just have the individual movies where I can edit images.

Bringing up the different Genres

W5yVy5Hj.jpg

The Action Genre

BLRUiUA9.jpg

Sorry for being dense this is the link that appears in my browser is this correct?

app.emby.media/movies.html?topParentId=f137a2dd21bbc1b99aa5c0f6bf02a805

Edited by One2Go

One2Go

@@ebr Sorry but I can't seem to do what you asked and I tried for hours all kind of different things but the images for the genre will not change. Can't find an entry where I can change in the web app the Genre images.

Sorry but I am stuck. Is there perhaps a cache location that has stored these genre images and now needs flushing?

One2Go

@@Luke Thanks that does replace the created image for the Genre with a custom one. It took me a while to find an optimum resolution to display the custom image. Using 1500 x 680 and 3 thumb images leaves enough space at the top and the bottom to center it. Experimenting now with 6 banner images 1000 x 185 to see which look better and then will post screen shots.

Thanks again for your help getting closer to a finished set up.

One2Go

@@Luke Thanks again for the tip. Finished the first batch of Genre posters by using 7 banners 1000 x 185 that leaves in a 1500 x 1000 poster size just enough space at the top and bottom to center them. Action and Animation screen shots. Now to finish the rest of the genres :(

Action Genre Poster

k49uaFhz.jpg

Animation Genre Poster

csq050pv.jpg

Right, sorry.  I forgot we changed the presentation in the web app.  My bad.