Live TV / Android TV

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

ok lets try work through these one by one.

First, HD live tv on android using dvblink as the back end. i get an video cannot be started error and the spinning circle. logs sent. user Mark.

cheers for looking at this

Ok, so? All we have right now are two threads linking back and forth to each other.

Yes, I asked him to start over with a new thread.

It was trying to transcode the stream and, whatever it transcoded to could not be understood by the player.  Can you find the transcode log from that session?

Spaceboy

Yes, I asked him to start over with a new thread.

It was trying to transcode the stream and, whatever it transcoded to could not be understood by the player.  Can you find the transcode log from that session?

its not that session but it is the same channel today showing the same problem  also sent you another log from android, same user name.

Well, ffmpeg cannot deal with that stream at all it appears.

Luke, any ideas...?

It would be great if we had someone who understands both dvblink and ffmpeg to comment on suggested encoding practices. Unfortunately without knowing dvblink very well, it's hard for me to say what the issue is.

Spaceboy

Well, ffmpeg cannot deal with that stream at all it appears.

Luke, any ideas...?

i'm not sure its as simple as that because this is the same setup but with a different channel but same format h.264 video and AC3 audio and it plays   . another   . actually this last one is my most problematic channel but here it is working so its not at all consistent

it seems to be wider than dvblink users as well. ive seen several posts from users having a variant of this problem with live tv, in particular Media Portal users. not sure if its european users or any external tv services, there are not enough live tv users to determine.

In the one that's not working it's burning in subtitles, so it could just be struggling to do that.

Spaceboy

You may be onto something here. In my previous testing I did note that switching on subs after the stream has started resulted in a video error and playback stopping. It must be the same error.

The thing is subs aren't enabled. Or shouldn't be. They are available on every channel but shouldn't be on by default. So what is asking for subs in the steam and why don't subs work in Android? They work in the web client

Again, I don't know, and I can't be the sole person to debug all of the issues for every TV plugin. There needs to be a representative for that plugin to come forward and help out. What I think might be happening though is it might be remembering the previous subtitle selection for that channel, and that is something that I can prevent from happening, if that's what's going on.

If that's not what's going on, then your definition of "shouldn't be" is up for question because it all depends on the attributes of the tracks in the stream.

Spaceboy

Understood, I wasn't asking you to. I was just summarising where we are, this is the first time I've had a lead on this issue in about 6 months of struggling with it. Introducing vlc masked the problem for a while but now it's gone the problem is back.

I will try and get @t.andre to take a look at the plugin but as I said there are a number of users of mediaportal with very similar issues. Do you not think these are linked?

Live tv issues

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34082-Live-tv-issues

Using NAR (Narrated) Audio stream instead of English

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26663-Using-NAR-%28Narrated%29-Audio-stream-instead-of-English

4:3 in 1.161g

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32708-4%3A3-in-1%2E161g

pünktchen

To summarise this:

First we've complained about the bad playback capabilities of the integrated vlc player and demanded an other player,

now that vlc has become really mature we get the other player and it's worse than ever before [emoji1]

I'm sure the time will sort all this!

pünktchen

Thanks for joining in @@pünktchen, I keep repeating that this is not solely a Dvblink issue

I know. It's a problem of Exoplayer (teletext subtitles, false aspect ratio and black video) and the tv app in general (audio stream selection).

The mobile app with vlc doesn't have this problems.

Spaceboy

I know. It's a problem of Exoplayer (teletext subtitles, false aspect ratio and black video) and the tv app in general (audio stream selection).

i agree, there are definitely problems with the emby app as well as the native android player. its a bit of a downer because ebr has said not to expect vlc to return anytime soon.

so... what to next in my quest for any emby client that will play live tv on a 10ft interface?

If even ffmpeg is having trouble interpreting the stream then something deeper than the app is going on here...

pünktchen

If even ffmpeg is having trouble interpreting the stream then something deeper than the app is going on here...

You're probably right for the subtitle problem. ffmpeg isn't even smart enough to differentiate between teletext subtitles and pure teletext pages. But the audio stream selection issue is surely a problem of the tv app, because it's working on the mobile one!

ffmpeg has no problems with this. the difference between the two is that libvlc on android mobile is direct playing and it understands the subtitle formats natively via ffmpeg. It knows how to manipulate ffmpeg to understand the streams. And that is the gap that is currently missing when the tv app tries to tell the server to burn the subtitles in.  Ebr and I do not have test setups for all the live tv plugins. This is where we need a representative from one of the tv plugins to help figure out the issue with the ffmpeg command line.

pünktchen

ffmpeg has no problems with this. the difference between the two is that libvlc on android mobile is direct playing and it understands the subtitle formats natively via ffmpeg. It knows how to manipulate ffmpeg to understand the streams. And that is the gap that is currently missing when the tv app tries to tell the server to burn the subtitles in. Ebr and I do not have test setups for all the live tv plugins. This is where we need a representative from one of the tv plugins to help figure out the issue with the ffmpeg command line.

Not every tv plugin developer has an Android 6+ device and a remote access to their servers you surely reject again.

So i'm out of this. Sorry!

@@Spaceboy - really keen for you to try this...  Thanks.

If you don't want to or can't side-load, then 1.1.81 will have the same changes in it and you can test with that.

Spaceboy

Hi @@ebr, sorry I just did pick this up this morning but it took a while before i could take a look. I want to cautiously say it's better. The channel that didn't work above, works but is quite jerky. When I tried it earlier it worked but stopped after maybe 30s but it seems to keep streaming now.

But that's the only difference, I can't select audio of subs for that or any channel, can't play recordings from the same channel but others work, aspect ratio on sd channels is wrong (although the stretching you implemented previously has helped), but not sure what you were hoping to fix?

Would a transcode log from the stuttering channel be of use?

Edited by Spaceboy

The channel shouldn't be transcoding...  Can you confirm that it is?