App not working on older Android box

philman84
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

philman84

Hey Guys,

Just running the most recent version of the Android TV app - 

Something with the layout is bugged, makes the app unusable. Pictures tell a better story. Previous version of the App looked and worked fine.

Running on a Minix Neo X7 - Running the latest FW Kitkat 2.5.0 - http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x7-kitkat-250-february-8th-2016.10905/

post-1284-0-76241500-1461248799_thumb.png

post-1284-0-23071900-1461248816_thumb.png

post-1284-0-20412000-1461248833_thumb.png

I'm afraid the updated Google framework is not compatible with that box/Android version.

I will probably need to mark it as such in the store.

philman84

So what do i do then? Because it was working fine only one version ago

Edited by philman84

Vidman

Go back to that version and don't update until hopefully some solution appears

I had the same problem with my MINIX neo x8 when trying the beta, I went back to stable and in the play store unselected auto update. From ebrs response I'm not holding my breath that any future versions of his app will work on my neo again

Edited by Vidman

philman84

Ok not the news i'm really wanting to hear, but if i've now got a lemon so be it, even worse as I think I even recommended the Minix to you Vidman.

Where can I get the old version to install and lock from updating? 

jajchodges

App issue... Emby android tv runnings on android 4.4.2 Mii Box . i see the server startup page but it gets a popup over the screen with the admin user profile and it doesnt seem to load anything.. I have a second username but its not accessable.... I have tried deleting app and even clearing the catche and settings still same issue... before and after the latest update. what am i doing wrong????

Just installed it on my Samsung gs5 works perfectly so could it be a sizing issue??? 

Edited by jajchodges

I'm afraid the updates from Google are not compatible with these older non true Android TV boxes.  I will be looking to get the support for the app marked properly in the store.

I'm sorry but Google gives us no way to obtain the older version.

If anyone out there has it as an APK I would be happy to post it.

MSattler

Part of the issue I think is that some of these manufacturers call these devices AndroidTV players but they are nothing more than standard android boxes.

The only true Android TV devices are the Shield, the NP, and the razor.

The only true Android TV devices are the Shield, the NP, and the razor.

... and several actual TVs

philman84

This sucks.....The other Android version works perfectly, except someone had the brilliant idea to remove all navigation control from a remote (ie Up, Down....) That's the only reason I was forced to use the Android TV App, else i'd still be a happy little camper.

Surely giving some simple remote navigation back in to that app would at least give some extra flexibility with hardware as well?

RanmaCanada

Try using the non Android TV app.  I have several android boxes and none of them will run the android tv app, but they will run the app designed for tablets perfectly fine.  To get all the hardware support my boxes support, I need to use the external player option and use either Kodi, ZDMC, SPMC, or mxplayer, as VLC sucks balls for hardware support because of how immature it is on Android.  

Try it out and please report back.

Vidman

The android mobile app is not remote friendly... It requires touch or (air) mouse

Edited by Vidman

Heuer

The original Android app worked on both touch and remote controlled screens but the development of the new Emby family meant the mobile app had r/c disabled, or more correctly, not enabled fully (left right buttons still work!). I asked several times if the functionality could be restored but there seemed to be no appetite to do so. I ended up dumping my AMLogic boxes and buying a Shield as that was the only way I could get a satisfactory family friendly client to work. To be honest the EATV app works fine but I still think the EA app with its extra functionality would be nice to try on the Shield or other Android boxes. I did suggest the Developers do what the Plex app does - allows you to select mobile or TV versions within the app.

I have a huge amount of respect for all the work Luke and ebr are doing on the Emby family which gets better everyday but if they could find time to add r/c functionality into EA I think it would be much appreciated. It would go some way to softening the blow of loosing Tiamat.

Edited by Heuer

Vidman

I'm sorry but Google gives us no way to obtain the older version.

If anyone out there has it as an APK I would be happy to post it.

I made a backup of version 1.1.46g which still works on my MINIX neo , how do we go about posting it for others

I made a backup of version 1.1.46g which still works on my MINIX neo , how do we go about posting it for others

Send it to me somehow.  Thanks.