DVD to MKV Aspect Ratio - Not Showing Full Screen

Pancho

Pancho

In an effort to make my media more accessible by other systems (Nvidia ShieldTV, Apple TVOS), I have begun converting all of my raw DVD rips that are on my Unraid NAS (Video_TS, Audio_TS folders respectively) over to MKV.   I am using the MakeMKV utility so I get a straight across conversion with no drop in quality (since these are already SD).     I have noticed that my few test MKV conversions are not displaying 16:9 inside of Emby on the Nvidia ShieldTV (see example below for the movie Bottle Shock).   I can play the same MKV inside the Apple TV, SPMC (Kodi) or on my WMC Emby program, and there is no problem playing 16:9.

I was unsure if there something I missed in the MakeMKV program causing this only on the ShieldTV?     Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pancho

post-688-0-27177600-1461032055_thumb.jpg

post-688-0-61003000-1461032145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pancho
  • Like 1

It is in 16:9.  It just isn't filling the screen.

I would guess the content is from an old DVD rip and the Google player is displaying it either at true resolution or with encoded black content.

raven-au

This problem has been introduced recently.

I have been unable to use the Emby client for a while now but seem to have resolved it today only to find that my SD rips not longer display in 16:9.

crystalgipsy

I am also having this issue on the shield and AFTV. All 16:9 DVD rips are not being diplayed in widescreen but as the SD anamorphic so its not being desqueezed on playback.

Edited by crystalgipsy

My MKVs were playing fine last weekend but this weekend their aspect ratio is all over the place.  They all work fine on the browser version with both Chrome and Edge in full screen mode but on the FireTV and Fire Stick they all come up as strange sizes.  The strange sizes are consistent between the TV and the stick.  i.e.  If something is 16:9 with a big border all the way around on one it will be the same on the other.  

I have just updated the server to 3.0.5931.0  and the fire client is also using the most recent version on both devices.

Lerronious

I'm experiencing the same issues on my Shield TV with a wired connection. The aspect ratio is all over the place and not filling the screen even when 16:9. I also had to switch audio to "compatible". Everything works as it did before when playing the same files on the server and on my Shield Tablet over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can you guys find an item that has this problem and then another one that doesn't (preferably also mpeg2 if possible) and post the media info for both?  Thanks.

crystalgipsy

All of my 16:9 ripped DVD mpeg2's have this issue and did not have this issue before last update and they all play fine in the webplayer and Kodi.  Media info of one of them, looks like the anamorphic flag is missing although it does give the correct viewing aspect. These where direct rips using MakeMKV no additional transcoding applied.

Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level8
Resolution720x576
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate5058 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate187 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Containermkv
Edited by crystalgipsy

So, it looks like the new Google player is just displaying the video exactly the way the information inside the video says it should be - at true resolution since it is not anamorphic.

The best way to handle this is probably going to be to implement zooming options in the player interface.

So your not using VLC on the shield anymore?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

No.  There are several discussions about that and why in a few threads out here.

crystalgipsy

Ok did not know that. Might explain why playback is not as good as it was in previous version.

Ok did not know that. Might explain why playback is not as good as it was in previous version.

What does "not as good" mean?

The new player actually has capabilities beyond what VLC had in a lot of areas.  Like bitstreaming of DD and DTS and faster loading and seeking.

crystalgipsy

Frame skipping mainly which I posted in another post.

Pancho

Ebr.. thanks for the update in 1.1.77.   I can confirm that the internal player zoom options allows me to 'stretch' the picture to full screen.   A perfectly acceptable workaround for me.

Thanks!

post-688-0-28521300-1461714050_thumb.jpg

raven-au

Ebr.. thanks for the update in 1.1.77.   I can confirm that the internal player zoom options allows me to 'stretch' the picture to full screen.   A perfectly acceptable workaround for me.

Thanks!

I've had this discussion before.

Ages ago when I discussed this the anamorphic flag was not set either so that's normal.

But AFAIK anamorphic means that the pixels are not square so the video needs to be stretched and not necessarily in both directions so zooming is going to crop part of the picture.

Typical 16:9 SD DVD rips don't have square pixels, so to my mind, are anamorphic regardless of what the attributes say.

Ian

Thanks!

Good deal, except it looks like maybe you used horizontal stretch instead of full zoom in that example.  Was that actually a 2.35:1 show?

I've had this discussion before.

Ages ago when I discussed this the anamorphic flag was not set either so that's normal.

But AFAIK anamorphic means that the pixels are not square so the video needs to be stretched and not necessarily in both directions so zooming is going to crop part of the picture.

Typical 16:9 SD DVD rips don't have square pixels, so to my mind, are anamorphic regardless of what the attributes say.

Ian

In his original example above it looked like there was a uniform (in terms of pixels) space around the entire actual picture so a full zoom would be the proper correction (and would be what the other players are doing behind the scenes).

The options I implemented, however, give you horizontal and vertical stretch options as well as full zoom though.  So, all you 2.35:1 CIH folks out there can now use this with your anamorphic lenses... oh, wait, that's probably just me... ;).

Pancho

Ebr..

You are correct.  I did use the 'Horizontal stretch' for the purpose of the screenshot.   But using the FULL ZOOM option works as well.

Thanks.

raven-au

In his original example above it looked like there was a uniform (in terms of pixels) space around the entire actual picture so a full zoom would be the proper correction (and would be what the other players are doing behind the scenes).

The options I implemented, however, give you horizontal and vertical stretch options as well as full zoom though.  So, all you 2.35:1 CIH folks out there can now use this with your anamorphic lenses... oh, wait, that's probably just me... ;).

I tried the horizontal stretch and it doesn't fill the screen (probably close to about 2 x 6-7% borders) for me so there is still a little bit of compression.

It's adequate I guess since there seems to no other way to resolve it.

• 4 weeks later...
scottd34

Is there a way to set the stretch settings by default ?  I have some seasons of shows for the kids that all end up playing squished horizontally and it would be nice to set those seasons to stretch horizontally by default.

No, sorry.  There isn't anywhere to save that information at this time.