Transcoding is stuttering

Benkuly
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Benkuly

Hello,

my Server (Debian 8) has an i3-3240 with 4GB RAM but transcoding is stuttering since a weeks or more.

Only one CPU is on 100% even I set transcoding threads on max.

If I force Intel Quicksync it works, but with the false aspect ratio.

The problem occurs on android app and different desktop browsers.

Any ideas?

Edited by Benkuly

Ok, thanks. we'll have a new stable release out in the next couple days. let's re-evaluate once you have that. thanks.

Benkuly

Problem still exist after update.

Edit: The Problem didn't occurs with h265 or mpeg but with h264. If I switch to low resolution (e.g. 360p) it also woks with h264.

Edited by Benkuly

maybe the devices just don't like the 50fps video. as a test, try customizing the in-app bitrate to a low value to force the video to transcode

Benkuly

Oh sorry, you were right. When i set it to 420kb/s it works, but this is not a goot solution because the quality is low. I testet it on Edge and Chrome an both have the Problem. The client PC is fast enough (i7 3770).

Well you might not need to go that low, just low enough to force the transcode. So try something that is just slightly lower than the bitrate of the video.

Right, we need to force that particular video to transcode, I'm just not sure yet what the reason would be, but it could be the 50fps framerate. once we force it to transcode then you can keep your high bitrate setting and it will all just work. if you can post a copy of the video that would be helpful.

Ok, i see it. Ultimately, we need to force this video to transcode, so I will have to find the right characteristic to check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Benkuly

Sorry, but the problem still exists with newest release.

Edited by Benkuly

Sorry, but the problem still exists with newest release.

Enough has changed that we need to start over and see post #2. Please provide new transcoding logs. Thanks.

• Solution

try refreshing this title from the detail screen, then play again and it should transcode. i chose not to have the new release force a reprobe of all video files so that is why this is necessary for videos already in the library.

• Like 1

Benkuly

Thanks that works :) is there an option to reprobe all files, because i dont want to do this with 100+ files... 

you can do it from a top level folder in the metadata manager, the only problem is that you can't currently monitor the progress of that, so the only real way to know that it's finished is when the log stops moving.

• Like 1