nVidia Shield Amazon Prime Instant video availability?

Nathanio

Nathanio

I had to take our FireTV stick back to the shop as it was locking up frequently. So I've been thinking about getting another FireTV box to replace it. However, another plan came to my mind; move our 2014 FireTV to the bedroom and then get an nvidia Shield for use in the lounge instead.

However, I'd like to use Amazon Prime and was wondering where nvidia is with a Prime Video app?

sluggo45

Amazon has to allow it, Nvidia has nothing to do with it. Amazon already has a Prime Video app for Android TV that works perfectly well - on Sony Bravia TVs that run Android TV. This is due to a pre-existing license agreement with Sony. However Amazon has to date chosen not to allow Prime video on other Android boxes. They even killed a workaround some people found to get the Sony app working on non-Sony TVs. 

The Roku has a client (also due to pre-existing license commitments) and the new Apple TV is supposed to get one so this is really about Amazon vs. Google. When and if this changes is anyones guess. 

• Like 1

MSattler

Amazon has to allow it, Nvidia has nothing to do with it. Amazon already has a Prime Video app for Android TV that works perfectly well - on Sony Bravia TVs that run Android TV. This is due to a pre-existing license agreement with Sony. However Amazon has to date chosen not to allow Prime video on other Android boxes. They even killed a workaround some people found to get the Sony app working on non-Sony TVs. 

The Roku has a client (also due to pre-existing license commitments) and the new Apple TV is supposed to get one so this is really about Amazon vs. Google. When and if this changes is anyones guess. 

I'm curious, could Play-On software be used as a middle man?  It surely would not be free, but may be a good workaround?

I love the Shield and now have 5 of them throughout my house.  But I rarely watch Amazon content.

-Marcus

sluggo45

I'm curious, could Play-On software be used as a middle man?  It surely would not be free, but may be a good workaround?

I love the Shield and now have 5 of them throughout my house.  But I rarely watch Amazon content.

-Marcus

Not sure. Possibly. Though Amazon has been stricter than most about locking down how their content, especially Prime content, is viewed.

An easier way, possibly, would be to leverage the fact that the Shield, like all Android TVs, makes a perfectly capable Chromecast-like receiver, and with a PC/Chrome browser you can Cast Prime video to your hearts content. I think they restrict their phone apps (iPhone, Android phone have Prime video apps) from casting but there's nothing stopping a PC/browser from doing it. 

If you rarely watch Prime content but want access to their exclusive specials, etc. that would be one way. 

Edited by sluggo45

Koleckai Silvestri

Google and Amazon are still feuding over the UI changes made for the Fire Tablets. Amazon wants Play store access. Google says no. I doubt Prime Video will appear on Google-powered devices until that is resolved. 

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Nathanio

I'd forgotten it was actually Amazon that decides. 

The kids like to watch stuff on it and so would be a shame not to have access to it. I suppose I'll keep with the FireTV / HTPC combo for the time being