FreeNAS 9.10

spencerisadog

kjp4756

I updated.  It was a pain.  I had to re-create all of my jails from sratch.  The FreeNAS folks say it's not a big deal but something doesn't sit right with me running a freebsd 10 kernel with a freebsd 9.3 userspace.

If you're going to upgrade do it properly and re-create your jails to freebsd 10 jails.

Just my opinion.

spencerisadog

For what it's worth, I updated with absolutely no problems.  Does anyone still recommend I recreate my jails?

alscritter

I updated to 9.10 with no issues and did not have to recreate my jails. I have had no problems what so ever and it has been about a week since updating.

Hisma

no problems after update.  If you check the readme it states that the upgrade will maintain your 9.3 compatible jails, but if you decide to create a new jail it will use freebsd 10 jails.  Eventually we will need to nuke & re-create all of our jails, but as an intermediary we are still safe.  

So the only ones that may have issues are those that upgrade and then decide to create a new emby jail.

Hisma

I updated. It was a pain. I had to re-create all of my jails from sratch. The FreeNAS folks say it's not a big deal but something doesn't sit right with me running a freebsd 10 kernel with a freebsd 9.3 userspace.

If you're going to upgrade do it properly and re-create your jails to freebsd 10 jails.

Just my opinion.

I would not recommend doing this until freenas 10 comes out. I believe that was also the recommendation of the FreeNAS devs. You may end up having to rebuild your jails a 2nd time.

sluggo45

I would not recommend doing this until freenas 10 comes out. I believe that was also the recommendation of the FreeNAS devs. You may end up having to rebuild your jails a 2nd time.

This is my understanding: 1) You can upgrade to 9.10 smoothly without affecting your jails 2) You probably should upgrade because the 9.10 branch is the last version of the 9.x branch they are going to keep updated 3) While you can recreate jails to use the 10 userspace it's not strictly necessary and you may well have to do it all over again when 10.x actually is released.

Anyone else hear different?

Edited by sluggo45

PhilWhite

I upgraded to 9.10 and recreated my jails to see how it would go.  The emby plugin was a little less 'responsive' initially - took a long time for the initial library scan and I encountered intermittent problems communicating with the emby server; but once things 'settled in' everything performed reasonably well.  I had the one nightly crash with library refresh on auto and none after I turned it off (but I don't think that had anything to do with the crash).

But then we had a brief power outage that caused a problem with the jail.

The emby server crashed and would not restart.  I restarted the jail a few times, but still no luck.  I ended up destroying the jail and reloading emby and all works fine again.

I would advise what others have above -- leave your old jails when you upgrade, if you upgrade.  Or wait for 10 to be released later this year.

H3kt0r

Updated to 9.10 about a week ago. My jail survived the update. However after that the Emby-server seems to generate random lag more often. Mostly Im happy with the results

PhilWhite

Since the latest update to 9.10 and upgrading Emby to Version 3.0.5931.0 everything has been rock stable.  Very happy with it now.