Cannot connect to server with Emby Theater for Xbox One

Starlionblue
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Also make sure you know the different between signing in with Emby Connect and signing in with a local user to your Emby Server. When you enter your local address manually, you're signing in with your private emby server user, not your online emby account.

chef

If Don is seeing the login screen after manually entering the IP and port address then there isn't a connection issue here.

Sounds like an authentication issue.

I don't mean to sound silly here, but are you sure you are typing in the right password?

Can you enter a user profile which had no password?

Gathering initial user info is a "public" request to the server, which means that if you have seen the list of users then there is a connection to your server.

Edited by chef

I'm pretty sure it is connecting. I don't password protect my Emby server. I just now created a password for it and created a new user as well (with no pw). Both login attempts resulted in an invalid login or password. When I try the pin method it says that there was an error and a pin could not be generated. I must be missing something very simple. Like I said it worked flawlessly last Friday night. Now nothing... Please help.

If you are getting an error even generating a PIN, then it sounds like something is blocking network traffic.

Okay. I just turned off my firewall on the pc that has Emby on it. Still same message. I don't see any setting on the xbone that block traffic.

This is weird. Now it's telling me it can't connect to the server. I know that it can because I can exit edge and go to the media player app and connect to Emby and access my media. Maybe I should just stick with that. Btw, I unplugged the xbone and now I can get a pin. Still won't connect though.

I don't know what I did but I thought I would try it one more time and....BAM it works! Thanks for your patience and help guys!

chef

my xbox and I have a love hate relationship...

It is always rotating uuids, and it never wants to reveal itself to emby right away trough DLNA.

If it wasn't for next generation games, I might have personally chosen a different living room client...

I do love a couple rounds of gta v when the kids go to bed though...

Glad to hear you got it working.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Starlionblue

my xbox and I have a love hate relationship...

It is always rotating uuids, and it never wants to reveal itself to emby right away trough DLNA.

If it wasn't for next generation games, I might have personally chosen a different living room client...

I do love a couple rounds of gta v when the kids go to bed though...

Glad to hear you got it working.

I hear ya. I use the XBone for gaming but for Emby Theater I have tiny little Intel NUC. Much neater solution as the XBone is finicky as you say.

I might get an Apple TV to replace the NUC at some point.

• 6 months later...

"We are unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

I am having problems connecting. I have done the Emby Connect pin thing and I do see my server listed. But I get the error message when trying to connect. I have also tried manual connection with both DNS name and IP address. Same result.

Other clients work fine and DLNA to the XBox works.

Logs here.

Me too, I've had nothing but trouble with this Xbox app. It won't let me change the port number for the server. (plugging in a keyboard allowed me to fix that) and when I do I get "We are unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again" error. I have no idea what's wrong.. everything else works. No firewall problems. I run emby through an Apache reverse proxy (because I'm too scared to let emby touch the internet by port forward itself)

Web works, tv.emby.media works, Emby Kodi app works, Android App works.. Emby theater for Xbox One does not work. No idea what it's trying to do.

It's the same library handling the connection for Xbox one as the other apps do it's doing the same thing. There's obviously something preventing the device from reaching it.

Deathsquirrel

Last time I tried the xbox app would not allow use of a non-standard https port to a public-facing address without using emby connect.  Can't speak to with connect as I'm not a user.

Ya it's something like that, I pointed it at the backend (manual server config) and it appears to work. It didn't look like it was even contacting the frontend. (and yes both ssl certs are correct) so I don't really know.. I'm just glad I don't have to mess with it anymore, the xbox makes me feel dirty using it.

Ya it's something like that, I pointed it at the backend (manual server config) and it appears to work. It didn't look like it was even contacting the frontend. (and yes both ssl certs are correct) so I don't really know.. I'm just glad I don't have to mess with it anymore, the xbox makes me feel dirty using it.

Are you using your own cert or the default one provided by the server? The default one is self-signed. The Xbox might be rejecting that as a lot of devices will reject self-signed certs. Browsers also reject them but present the user with a way to manually override them.