Sync Support

dcrdev

dcrdev

What's the latest on sync support in iOS? I'm going to be purchasing premier membership, but am holding out until sync support is added to the iOS app.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Dewey80

I'm also very interested in this feature. I just signed up, lifetime, as the software is great in general but would love to see this feature added. I've got pretty poor internet where I live so streaming back to the server is not really an option - pre-downloading a bunch of content before I leave the house would be amazing and where this software really shines for me :)

@@Luke, is there any work around, or beta available, that we could use in the interim?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
corylorentz

Come on Team Emby! This is the one thing that is keeping me from becoming an Emby Premiere member. Without this feature, the app is no different that accessing the server via a browser and watching your movies, and it's free to watch your library and the viewing is not limited to one minute. Is there any update on this? It's been almost a month for this particular post, and I know it was mentioned when the app first launched... How much longer must we wait?

• Like 1

MSattler

It's a planned feature for the future.

Now you are spamming yourself in your own forum? =)  What this product completely lacks, especially for its Premium price tag this day is a realistic plan for the future, and additional features.

I think over all the grumblings that I have seen in these forums and other places across the web in relation to the product, most are less about the product and more about the lack of an actual product plan, and your really lame unprofessional response like the one here. 

Come on @@Luke, I get that you cannot give specific dates but YOU touted this as a future feature, you opened the bag.  Now when people wanna know when it's coming you just repeat the same robotic statement.  Honestly, I would be much more willing to believe in the product long term if you came out and said "It's difficult because of x, y, and z", or "We have realized that developing this will require more resources", etc.

But basically it's more of your "I'm just gonna give you a canned reply, and hope you shut up and just go away.  But please, go ahead and buy Premium".

Just be truthful, and be a bit more..... human.

/FlameSuitOn

• Like 2

dcrdev

Now you are spamming yourself in your own forum? =)  What this product completely lacks, especially for its Premium price tag this day is a realistic plan for the future, and additional features.

I think over all the grumblings that I have seen in these forums and other places across the web in relation to the product, most are less about the product and more about the lack of an actual product plan, and your really lame unprofessional response like the one here. 

Come on @@Luke, I get that you cannot give specific dates but YOU touted this as a future feature, you opened the bag.  Now when people wanna know when it's coming you just repeat the same robotic statement.  Honestly, I would be much more willing to believe in the product long term if you came out and said "It's difficult because of x, y, and z", or "We have realized that developing this will require more resources", etc.

But basically it's more of your "I'm just gonna give you a canned reply, and hope you shut up and just go away.  But please, go ahead and buy Premium".

Just be truthful, and be a bit more..... human.

/FlameSuitOn

I kind of agree with this although I perhaps wouldn't phrase it quite like this... To me it kind of seems like your avoiding my questions as to whether or not this "planned feature" is actually in the process of being developed; which kind of gives me the impression you've hit some kind of obstacle here.

Whilst as a non premium supporter I've kind of got to count my blessings for what I'm already getting out of Emby, this is one feature that is preventing me from purchasing premium membership.

Nonetheless I think it would go a long way to give some kind of 'Official' update on this for the benefit of your userbase; especially premium members.

MSattler

I kind of agree with this although I perhaps wouldn't phrase it quite like this... To me it kind of seems like your avoiding my questions as to whether or not this "planned feature" is actually in the process of being developed; which kind of gives me the impression you've hit some kind of obstacle here.

Whilst as a non premium supporter I've kind of got to count my blessings for what I'm already getting out of Emby, this is one feature that is preventing me from purchasing premium membership.

Nonetheless I think it would go a long way to give some kind of 'Official' update on this for the benefit of your userbase; especially premium members.

Maybe at the very least remove "Coming soon to Android, iOS and Windows Phone." from the Premium feature list.   I mean seriously that page has been there for months now.  Perhaps for Emby soon does not mean in or after a short time.

cowszero

While I do appreciate the effort put into making the iOS client I am surprised that sync is not yet available for the sole reason that we must pay the Premium entry fee just to use the app but we don't get the Premium features. Doesn't seem fair to pay for features we do not get. How about refunding us the Premium amount or at least letting cancel our recurring payment but continue to use our iOS apps until it supports the Premium feature we are paying for?

MSattler

While I do appreciate the effort put into making the iOS client I am surprised that sync is not yet available for the sole reason that we must pay the Premium entry fee just to use the app but we don't get the Premium features. Doesn't seem fair to pay for features we do not get. How about refunding us the Premium amount or at least letting cancel our recurring payment but continue to use our iOS apps until it supports the Premium feature we are paying for?

Lol, that was pretty funny.  They will tell you that it will be ready when it's ready, sometime in 2016.  

• Like 1

Hi, I apologize for the sync feature for iOS not being ready yet, but we are not advertising anywhere that the feature is currently completed and usable. It is on the roadmap for the iOS app.

MSattler

Hi, I apologize for the sync feature for iOS not being ready yet, but we are not advertising anywhere that the feature is currently completed and usable. It is on the roadmap for the iOS app.

Not advertising?

Maybe we have different thoughts on what advertising consists of =)

Sync your media to your smart phones and tablets for easy offline access. Supported for Windows 8.1. Coming soon to Android, iOS and Windows Phone.

ekfv43o.png

It's the same thing I noted previously.

• Like 1

dcrdev

I agree unless this feature is being developed at this moment in time then it's not "coming soon".

MadibaJ

I've got to admit this is something that does annoy me. I it's a feature that swayed me to buy premium. The users over at Plex seem to be able to sync without issues. At the moment I use Infuse to sync shows for the kids when we go away, it's a bit fiddly but it does a job.

KarlDag

Not advertising?

Maybe we have different thoughts on what advertising consists of =)

Sync your media to your smart phones and tablets for easy offline access. Supported for Windows 8.1. Coming soon to Android, iOS and Windows Phone.

ekfv43o.png

It's the same thing I noted previously.

You should re-read what he wrote.  He's right.  They are saying it's coming soon, not that it's part of the package.

MSattler

You should re-read what he wrote.  He's right.  They are saying it's coming soon, not that it's part of the package.

You should maybe re-read what EBR wrote in a recent post about being right, that Sync for IOS should not be currently advertised as coming soon, since it will not arrive soon.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/33362-emby-development-path/?p=317876

It's said coming soon for 6-9 months, and as of now we may see it by the end of next year.  Coming soon is advertising, and EBR has agreed to remove it.

So......

Edited by MSattler

Vidman

That doesn't mean he's wrong... Luke's statement is correct in that it has not been advertised as complete and useable.... Only as coming soon for a really long time with no progress

Dewey80

I'm in the dcrdev/MSattler camp on this one... You can't really say 'coming soon' if you can't give a rough date - otherwise, in all honesty it can't really be soon ;)

I signed up to lifetime premiere in part to support the dev team and assuming that this key feature for me would arrive soon - had it been asterisked with a 'actually we don't know when we'll release on iOS' I'd have held off until the product became more feature rich or considered a competitor product.

Lawrage

Guys I know you all want Sync (me included), heck I even had the app when the sync button was in it, but harping on about it isnt really going to change anything. Unless the page actually says "available now" or "Coming April 2016 or "something to that affect you cant expect it to be a feature.

Sync will come and just like the good folks at Blizzard always say "it will be done when its done".

Anyway until then there are other apps you can use to sync some files to your phone, one was mentioned in this thread already, another is Air Video HD.

• 4 weeks later...
raven-au

Guys I know you all want Sync (me included), heck I even had the app when the sync button was in it, but harping on about it isnt really going to change anything. Unless the page actually says "available now" or "Coming April 2016 or "something to that affect you cant expect it to be a feature.

The discussion here has diverged from the initial question and rightly so.

For quite a while forum posts implied that sync for the iOS app was close to release and together with the coming soon statement it's hard not to get the impression it was actually "coming soon".

But there's been nothing to clarify if the status of this feature has changed, and what Luke has said here really isn't enough, and quite a few people would like to know more about what has changed.

Certainly complaining about having paid Premiere membership isn't useful, that's worthwhile as a demonstration of support for the ongoing application work, and I believe it's well worth it regardless of what gets implemented, as that's very much up to the product developers.

Indeed, that's why I pay an annual subscription rather than have taken a lifetime subscription.

It gives me the opportunity provide ongoing support for the product work (potentially with the ability to contribute more than I would with a lifetime subscription) and the ability to withdraw my support if I do disagree with or don't like the way things go.

Anyway, it would be good to get some clarification on what problems have developed with this or if the priority has simply changed due to what needs to be done and what the developers believe is needed most.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
liquidox

I have recently discovered Emby in my search for the optimal home media setup. I am disappointed to see that this feature has been noted as coming soon since early 2015! This is for sure a feature I would expect to see in the Premium product, and I hope it sees effort and a release plan soon. Streaming is no option inside a 747...

dcrdev

I have recently discovered Emby in my search for the optimal home media setup. I am disappointed to see that this feature has been noted as coming soon since early 2015! This is for sure a feature I would expect to see in the Premium product, and I hope it sees effort and a release plan soon. Streaming is no option inside a 747...

They have changed the terminology on the main site to say "coming in a future release" - so there isn't really anything to complain about anymore.