BUG: "Unset (mixed content)" Showing in Movies...

Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

Not sure if this is just me or not - better to be safe than sorry though! - so I'm popping it up as a "BUG". If it is just me, let me know and I'll change the topic title if I can or request that it can be.

Anyhow, yeah, short story, I have a bunch of debates and YouTube clips and sermons, all as videos and MP3s grouped together in their own folder which I have setup to show within 'Media Folders' only. Problem is, Emby for Samsung App pulls all of the video files from there into movies.

Under "Settings > Home Screen Settings" for the user account I use to login to Emby for Samsung App with, only 'Movies' and 'TV' are selected under "My Views". The mixed content folder is not selected here.

Is there another setting I need to un/check somewhere also?

Thanks for your help,

Dodgy Bob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue description:

- Videos that have not been marked to be grouped as "Movies" or "TV" are being grouped as videos

Steps to reproduce:

- Sorry, cannot reproduce, as I only have one TV in the house and this issue only shows up here

My TV/HTS/BD Player model number:

- TV = UA55HU8500W (Emby for Samsung App installed here)
 - HTS = HT-H7750WM (Emby for Samsung App is not and will not install here - haven't tried recently though!)

My firmware version:

- TV = 1202
 - HTS = 1110

Other TVs etc. the issue has been reproduced on:

- N/A

My Emby server version:

My current Emby Samsung client version:

- (just updated tonight, issue was happening on 1.0.6 previously too)

Other Emby Samsung versions the issue can be reproduced in:

- CANNOT be reproduced on Emby for Android v2.5.93 (on a Nexus 7 (2013))
 - CANNOT be reproduced on Emby Web Client via Chrome v48.0.2564.116
 - CANNOT be reproduced on Emby Web Client via FF v44.0.2

Supporting information to include logs and pictures where applicable:

- see attached screencap

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-5429-0-37479400-1456229279_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

Just putting this out there, so. . . yeah, anyone?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

Vidman

Seems as theses are not movies or tv shows they should be added as home videos rather than mixed or unset as emby still tries to determine if content in mixed/unset folders are movies or episodes whereas emby does not attempt to identify content defined as home videos ( that is why it is recommended for things like you mention and fitness/self help videos and other video content that does not fall under movies or TV episodes)

Edited by Vidman

Dodgy Bob

OK, I'll give that a go and see how things work out.

I'm sure I've tried that before though and it didn't work out then either !? I'm not sure.

I'll post back once I've changed things around a little.

Thanks Vidman.

Dodgy Bob

OK, yep, so deleting that "mixed content" collection and recreating it as "home videos" works - kind of!

All of the extra videos that were showing up in 'Movies' don't do that now, however, the MP3s that are there in that collection are now invisible to that collection and so I cannot select them; I only get the videos and that is all.

So question is, does mixed content not really work as a thing then? The whole point of going for "mixed content" is because I have a collection that is, well, "mixed content"!

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

Vidman

Yea sorry i didn't realize you had audio only files in there too, actually i thought mixed/unset was only for mixed video content also

Dodgy Bob

Ahhh, OK, thats an interesting tidbit of info.

I was taking "mixed content" to mean that you could have a collection of both audio and video files all in the one collection.

Alright, well, if "mixed content" isn't to work that way, is there another way I can create a collection that contains both audio files and video files and show them all in the one collection?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

SamES

Ahhh, OK, thats an interesting tidbit of info.

I was taking "mixed content" to mean that you could have a collection of both audio and video files all in the one collection.

Alright, well, if "mixed content" isn't to work that way, is there another way I can create a collection that contains both audio files and video files and show them all in the one collection?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob

And once you set a collection as Mixed Content, you should then at the sub-folder level in the library set the sub folder Content Type as TV or Movies in the metadata manager.

In this way, a Mixed/Unset Library means the Library contains sub folders which are each either defined as TV or Movie (or some other content type).  I don't think each sub folder can contain all different types of media.  Once a sub folder has its Content type set, all the sub-folder below it are then the same type. 

Library Folder (unset)

|- My Movie Folder (Set to Movies)

|- My TV Shows (Set to TV)

|- Music   (set to Music)

|- More Stuff Folder (set to Inherit  - ie: Unset/Mixed)

|- Foreign Movies (set to movies)

|- Old TV Shows (set to TV)

56dd166a54b9e_Snip.png

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

First up, apologies for the late response, been a real busy week this week  :(

Now, sorry to be flogging a dead horse here, but just to be clear that I am understanding everything correctly, the short of it is that I cannot have both audio and video files in the same collection within Emby - is that correct?

Regards,

Dodgy Bob.

Vidman

Incorrect. ..if you create a collection within the web interface you can add any type of content to it. ...note im am referring to collections not media libraries., and it would be a manual process

Edited by Vidman

Dodgy Bob

Hey folks,

OK, so as best as I'm aware and can test, things are working the way that I want them to - through the web client that is. Emby App for Samsung is still doing the same thing as before.

So just to be clear, this is what I am trying to achieve:

• A collection that has both audio and video files contained in it, that show up side-by-side in my Emby App of choice (currently Emby App for Samsung) and either file (audio or video) can be seen on screen, then selected and thus played.

AND

• As well as this and just as important, I do not want these same audio and video files showing up in "Movies" or "Music" of any other collection.
(...this is doable right?)

Anyhow, this is what I just did starting from scratch:
  1. Added a new 'Media Library'; then
  2. Content type: = Unset (mixed content); then
  3. Display name: = Media; then
  4. Folders = \\path\to\folder and then clicked OK
  5. A 'Scan library' kicked off automatically and so I waited for this to complete...
  6. When it did, I went into 'Metadata Manager'
  7. In 'Metadata Manager' I went to the sub-folders of "Media" (from Step.3) and changed the 'Content type:' from 'Inherit' to what I thought best from the available options

Once completing these steps, in the latest versions of Chrome, FF and IE, my initial 2 points above are achieved. But once I fire up Emby App for Samsung, a sub-folder of the library "Media" created in Step.3 that was left as 'inherit' and thus has its 'Content type:' set as 'Unset (mixed content)', its videos show up in MOVIES ... this is what I do not want.

What is the difference between the web client and Emby App for Samsung that renders this collection differently? And why?

Is this a bug? Is this a feature that I need to live with? Is there something else that I need to do that I have not done? Did I not do things correctly with using and setting up a library and/or a collection using the 'Unset (mixed content)' Content Type?

I'm sorry folks. I feel like I'm running around in circles; I just want to get to the bottom of this is all.

Regards,

Dodgy Bob.

SamES

I have created a new Library to match your scenario.

Top level folder, with 2 sub folders.  Each subfolder has a movie contained within it's own subfolder

I've added the top level folder as a library of type unset/mixed content

I set one of the 2 subfolders to Movies in the metadata editor.  The other subfolder is left as inherit.

I think this matches your structure.

In the Home Screen settings, if I select this new Library under the 'My Views' option.  Emby server will now create the 'Movie' view which is what I think you must have set if you are seeing a Movie view in the web client or the Samsung app.

If I check the Samsung App, I now see a Movies option with both movies being displayed (ie: one from the folder set as Movies, one set from the folder inherit, which should be effectively unset).  If I understand correctly, you expect to only see the movie from the folder set to type 'Movies'

At this stage, I expect this replicates what you see and highlights the problem as you experience it.

However, when I check the web client and select the Movies view, I can also see both Movies. I know you mention that this is not what you see, but it is definitely what I see (running the current beta of the server) and the latest Samsung client.

I think this may be an issue with how the Movie Views are created on the server (they don't seem to honour the folder type), however, this may be by design as it tries to identify Movies in any folder to create an aggregated view.

The Samsung client now uses these same views as the server.  In earlier versions the samsung client was manually creating Movie views by looking at the top level folder types, but this didn't work for mixed content.  This lead to a change to use the server created views, therefore the Samsung client output should match the server and for me it does.

Have you tried to remove the library from 'My Views'?  This will prevent the library being added to the Movie view and may give you something closer to what you want.  Otherwise, you may have to add several library folders, one-level deeper than you currently are.  This will allow you to determine which folders should appear in the Movies collection and which ones should not.

• Like 1

Dodgy Bob

@@Vidman and @@SamES,

First of all, thank you both very much for your patience and willingness to help out here. I do appreciate your help with this   :D  I hope this is not a case of me simply being too thick!   :o

Right, on with the show then...

I have created a new Library to match your scenario.

Top level folder, with 2 sub folders.  Each subfolder has a movie contained within it's own subfolder
I've added the top level folder as a library of type unset/mixed content
I set one of the 2 subfolders to Movies in the metadata editor.  The other subfolder is left as inherit.

I think this matches your structure.

Yes, basically.

This is what I have / am working with:

56eff15ca82f3_folders.png

In the Home Screen settings, if I select this new Library under the 'My Views' option.  Emby server will now create the 'Movie' view which is what I think you must have set if you are seeing a Movie view in the web client or the Samsung app.

Sorry, no, I never even thought of going into 'Home Screen Settings' to change any settings in there! As such, this is how my 'My Views' section is presently:
56eff1a2443fd_hscmyviews.png

If I check the Samsung App, I now see a Movies option with both movies being displayed (ie: one from the folder set as Movies, one set from the folder inherit, which should be effectively unset). If I understand correctly, you expect to only see the movie from the folder set to type 'Movies'

Yes, that is how I understand it to work. Is that right?

At this stage, I expect this replicates what you see and highlights the problem as you experience it.

Well kind of.
With the exception that 'My Views' settings is not set and that movies that shouldn't be in the "movies collection" are in the "movies collection".

However, when I check the web client and select the Movies view, I can also see both Movies. I know you mention that this is not what you see, but it is definitely what I see (running the current beta of the server) and the latest Samsung client.

I think this may be an issue with how the Movie Views are created on the server (they don't seem to honour the folder type), however, this may be by design as it tries to identify Movies in any folder to create an aggregated view.

What is it that I've done then !? !?   :huh:
This screencap, from my original post above, is what is happening for me.
This is what I see at the moment when I go into "Movies" in Emby App for Samsung.
When I go into Emby App for Web (Chrome / FF / IE) that top row and then first 3 videos on the second row are all gone, I get nothing but a listing of my actual movies !? !?
56eff4be6dd2c_post5429037479400145622927

The Samsung client now uses these same views as the server. In earlier versions the samsung client was manually creating Movie views by looking at the top level folder types, but this didn't work for mixed content. This lead to a change to use the server created views, therefore the Samsung client output should match the server and for me it does.

Have you tried to remove the library from 'My Views'? This will prevent the library being added to the Movie view and may give you something closer to what you want. Otherwise, you may have to add several library folders, one-level deeper than you currently are. This will allow you to determine which folders should appear in the Movies collection and which ones should not.

Yeah, the 'My Views' option was never turned on. Perhaps if I turn it on and then reboot and then turn it off again, maybe that might jump start whatever needs jump starting !? Perhaps there is a glitch in my system somewhere !? I'm just clutching at straws here.

What do you think the best approach would be for the "one-level deeper" workaround? Do you mean, I should make my 'Media' folder still an unset library, then have a subfolder 'Media' folder under it as 'Inherit', then place my 4 subfolders into that second 'Media' folder? I guess thats something to try!

SamES

@Dodgy Bob, in the screen shot, the titles in the first row, and the first 3 from the second row that should not be there, in which folder in the folder tree you have posted do they exist in?  Just so I can try and replicate this further.

Dodgy Bob

@Dodgy Bob, in the screen shot, the titles in the first row, and the first 3 from the second row that should not be there, in which folder in the folder tree you have posted do they exist in?  Just so I can try and replicate this further.

Those titles in the first row and the first 3 on the second row are from...

MEDIA (Content type = 'Unset (mixed content)')

>> Preaching (Content type = 'Inherit')

>> >> The Village Church

>> >> >> The Apostles' Creed

>> >> >> >> -01- Part 1  <-- I can't remember the subfolder's name!

>> >> >> >> -02- Part 2  <-- I can't remember the subfolder's name!

>> >> >> >> -03- Part 3  <-- I can't remember the subfolder's name!

>> >> >> >> (through to 13)

Since taking that screencap above I have added more audio and video files underneath 'Audiobooks' and 'Preaching'.

Kind regards,

Dodgy Bob

SamES

@@cmcg, I think the issue is that queries like this are used to populate items 

var url = Server.getItemTypeURL("&IncludeItemTypes=Movie&SortBy=SortName&SortOrder=Ascending&fields=ParentId,SortName,Overview,Genres,RunTimeTicks&recursive=true");

I suspect this is returning all Items from the server of type Movie, regardless of whether they exist in the Movie view.  To work as DodgyBob expects, I imagine that these queries would have to also filter based on being a member of the Movies userView.  I haven't had time to work out how to do this, but maybe easiest to ask Luke or check the server code.

If a user does not use the Movie View then I guess they won't see a Movie collection and will have to browse via the Media Folders?

Interestingly the web client is also a bit inconsistent.  If I select Movies in the web client, then select the sub-group Movies, then I only get items that are part of the Movie View.  However, if I pick the sub-group 'Suggestions' it actually displays all items of Type Movie and ignores whether they are part of the Movies view.

To simulate this I basically made three new libraries containing Movies items but set two Libraries type to Movies and the Other to Unset  (It appears that you need at least 2 libraries of type movie for the Movie view to be created)

Enable Movie Views for only the 2 movie Libraries and not the unset Library. 

When you check the web client, the unset Library items won't apppear in the Movies->Movies page (but are in Movies->Suggestions).  In the Samsung client they all appear under All Movies.  

Philosophically, does 'All Movies' mean all movies, or does it mean all movies that exist in the Movies collection?
Edited by SamES
  • Like 2

Dodgy Bob

Oh wow! @@SamES, Thanks muchly for getting to - hopefully? - the bottom of this.

Like you said,

If a user does not use the Movie View then I guess they won't see a Movie collection and will have to browse via the Media Folders?

And yep, thats exactly what I do and how I want to be able to do it ... well, how I do it via the web client and am hoping can be done via the Emby App for Samsung!   :D

Interestingly the web client is also a bit inconsistent.  If I select Movies in the web client, then select the sub-group Movies, then I only get items that are part of the Movie View.  However, if I pick the sub-group 'Suggestions' it actually displays all items of Type Movie and ignores whether they are part of the Movies view.

Yeah, sorry about not seeing this or checking this at least.   :(

I only went into the "Movies" section for my testing as that is basically the only place I go.

I don't go into "Suggestions" or "Collections" or any of the other views. I just keep it simple and play it simple. It keeps the good ol' WAF (Wife Approval Factor) high!

Anyway, again, I just wanted to say a big THANKS for digging deeper into this.

Thanks SamES   B)

SamES

As a work around, have you tried setting either the library type, or the sub-folder type to Music videos?  This shouldn't affect the library scans as I don't expect there is any nfo for these items.  It should prevent them form being identified as Movie (this must be the default for unidentified media types?)  so they will no longer appear in the Movies view.

The down side is that they will probably appear in the Music Video view on clients, but if you don't have any other content of that type anyway then it may actually be a benefit.  At the moment there isn't a Music Videos view on the Samsung client (and I don't think anyone has asked for one) so this may actually achieve all that you want.

Dodgy Bob

Hey SamES,

As a work around, have you tried setting either the library type, or the sub-folder type to Music videos?  This shouldn't affect the library scans as I don't expect there is any nfo for these items.  It should prevent them form being identified as Movie (this must be the default for unidentified media types?)  so they will no longer appear in the Movies view.

No, I haven't tried that as yet. But its likely to have the same effect as setting them to 'Home movies' yeah? That is, once I set the 'Content type:' to 'Music videos', any audio files in there, I'm not going to be able to access them, correct? As a short term workaround though am happy to try it out.

The down side is that they will probably appear in the Music Video view on clients, but if you don't have any other content of that type anyway then it may actually be a benefit.  At the moment there isn't a Music Videos view on the Samsung client (and I don't think anyone has asked for one) so this may actually achieve all that you want.

Yeah, figured as much!

We do have some Music videos and access them infrequently via "Media Folders" through the Emby App for Samsung, but yeah, shouldn't be too much of an issue hopefully - at least, not like it is currently!

I'll test things out over the weekend. Thanks again SamES.

Do I need to raise this issue in Emby's bug tracker or something or do anything more? Or is it all good to just leave it now up to you fine people?   B)

Kind regards,

Dodgy Bob

Edited by Dodgy Bob

SamES

@@cmcg, I have a fix for this which restricts the results for Movies to items in the Movies view.  This will fix the problem and appears to match the web interface.

I have a working version based on 2.1.3.

Basically, you just need to get the id of the movies view and add ParentId= to the relevant queries.  There are a few other minor fixes to make this work.  I can give you a list of changes or send you a modified copy of 2.1.3 and you can diff it.

• Like 2

cmcg

Sure. Place any files that changed somewhere I can grab them and I'll diff them against 2.1.3.

Thanks for your help.

SamES

New version in https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7ii68d29a3um0g/EmbyMark_2.1.3_Europe_20160325.zip?dl=0

I've tested all the scenarios I can think of and it seems to work as expected.

Just be aware that as this will now only display Movies/TV that are included in the relevant view, some users may find that they see less items then currently if they do not have the views enabled/set correctly.  However, I believe this now operates with the same logic as the web client.

Generally, any API call's with IncludeItemTypes=Series or IncludeItemTypes=Movies now has an additional restriction on ParentId for the relevant View type. 

The only calls that are unchanged are those that use Server.getChildItemsURL() as these restrict to a parent/child relationship anyway.

I've not changed calls to retrieve a 'randomImageURL' where they include multiple itemtypes (ie: screensaver and backdrops).  In this case, the random images returned will still include items of type movie that are not in the movies view

This did break the logic for applying the banner in GuiDisplay_Series.start().  I've changed the logic, but please confirm if this makes sense.

There's also a mod in Server.getUserViewId() to restrict the type of ViewID returned.

Finally, I think there is a bug in the server API for calls to /Users/{UserId}/Items/Latest where the ParentId parameter is ignored.  Therefore, calls to Latest movies will still return items that are not in the Movies view.  I've raised this issue and if it gets fixed, the results should just flow through to the client.

For view1 and view2 in settings, you need to reselect these items to pick up the new query (or force delete settings  :( )

Let me know if any of the changes don't make sense or if you suspect they break something.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Dodgy Bob

Hey there CMCG,

Have you had a chance as yet to look into and add the fixes that SamES found into the Emby App for Samsung client at all?

Kind regards,

Dodgy Bob