Can't get server to install

khodges747

khodges747

Hi guys,

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit and Firefox 26, and when I try to install the server it just gives me the following error in the log file:

The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [installMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 6.1.1 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full'
Read string value '4.5.50709'
Setting value '4.5.50709 {string}' for property 'DotNet45Full_TargetVersion'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)':
Property: [DotNet45Full_TargetVersion] = 4.5.50709 {string}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'DotNet45Full_TargetVersion' and value '4.5.50709': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package 'Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)', phase BuildList
Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}'
MsiQueryProductState returned '5'
Setting value '5 {int}' for property 'VCRedistInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)':
Property: [VCRedistInstalled] = 5 {int}
Running checks for command 'vcredist10_x86\vcredist_x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'VCRedistInstalled' and value '3': true
Result of checks for command 'vcredist10_x86\vcredist_x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'

Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/beta/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application'.

I'm far from an expert, but it looks to me like it's not even getting to the server to get the installation package. This has happened several times over the last hour.

I've tried turning off my antivirus, but no help.

I have MB2 installed and running.

Do I just need to try again later, or is there something I can do?

Thanks!

shadrach47

You should not be keeping this file at all.  You should download and run it from the web link.

The system is going to install into where ever your %appdata% directory is.

What web link do you mean? When I click server install from the site all it does is download a small setup.exe. I also have the file in my D:/Downloads folder.

khodges747

No, I don't use a proxy server.

And in response to ebr, like Shadrach47 said, in Firefox clicking the "Install Server" link downloads Setup.exe to my hard disk. I then run it from there.

I just tried it again, still no luck.

khodges747

Thanks for the advice.

I had already tried that, but did it again, and also deleted everything in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\*.*.

Neither action helped.

I'm trying to install from D: (where I keep my data and downloaded stuff, and where the MB3 setup.exe is kept) to C:. I presume that's not a problem.

Any other advice will be appreciated.

...and where the MB3 setup.exe is kept

You should not be keeping this file at all.  You should download and run it from the web link.

The system is going to install into where ever your %appdata% directory is.

khodges747

Just FYI here's a couple more things I tried, all with no success:

Installing directly from Chrome (not my usual browser, FF26).

Installing at different times of the day.

Installing from Safe Mode with Networking.

Installing with firewall and antivirus disables.

All attempts end the same way, with Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://www.mb3admin....r.application'.

Is there no way to get access to a complete standalone installer package that I can just DL and run?

Unless one of you helpful people comes up with a proposal, I'm out of luck and I don't understand why it should be like that.

Thanks.

WWWestern

I would try to remove the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable" and let the installer itself download it (~10MB). Actually mine is 10.0.40219.

khodges747

Thanks for the advice, but that didn't work either. Here are the last few lines of the install.log file

Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.00': false
Result of checks for command 'vcredist10_x86\vcredist_x86.exe' is 'Install'
'Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
Installation of components 'Visual C++ 2010 Runtime Libraries (x86)' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD1799.tmp\"
Downloading files to "C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD1799.tmp\"
(22-Dec-13 13:16:39) Downloading 'vcredist10_x86\vcredist_x86.exe' from 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=210621' to 'C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD1799.tmp\'
Download completed at 22-Dec-13 13:16:40
Downloading failed with HRESULT=-2146697208

The sub-directory in which the files Visual C++ installation files are supposed to be stored is present but empty.

It looks to me like the server will not let me download anything at all. On my very first attempt it wouldn't let me download Net Framework 4.5, so I just installed it myself figuring the server was down. Now the MB3 install routine verifies that it's there and goes on with the next steps, but as soon as something is missing, such as Visual C++, it won't let me connect to get it.

Now I need to reinstall Visual C++.

Any other suggestions?

Both of those items come from Microsoft, not us.

It looks to me like something in your network chain is messing it up.  Are you sure your provider doesn't have some sort of proxy setup?

khodges747

I know they're from MS, but nothing gets through the MB3 installer including when the installer sees both of those as installed and calls for the download of the MB3 part.

My ISP is OK, I DL stuff all the time. Such as NET Framework 4.5 and the Visual C++ Runtimes, both of which I just DLed and installed manually.

In fact, if I click on this link (from the install log file) 'http://go.microsoft..../?LinkID=210621' I immediately get a box asking me where to save the file. But if the MB3 nistaller calls for the same DL from the same link, it doesn't download and gives an error. 

And (this is odd) if I click on the link to MB3 in my original post ('http://www.mb3admin....r.application'), I get a "404 error, page does not exist". Why would that be?

Going through the MB3 installer I get nothing but error messages. The installer can't download NET Framework if needed, nor can it DL MS Visual C++ Runtimes. Nothing is allowed through the MB3 installer to my machine. Yet I can manually do all of that easily.

Thanks for your help. Keep thinking about it please because I have no idea what to do.

I'm lost as well.  The component you are thinking of as the MB installer is actually a ClickOnce pre-requisite installer.  Our actual installer hasn't even been downloaded yet - which is your problem.  And the same program is working on 1,000s of other machines so we can't replicate the problem which makes it really hard to figure out.

Something is blocking that program from accessing anything it appears.

khodges747

@gcw076

Here are the ping results for the command "ping www.mb3admin.com":

Pinging cf-protected-www.mb3admin.com.cdn.cloudflare.net [108.162.197.196] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 108.162.197.196: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.162.197.196: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.162.197.196: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=55
Reply from 108.162.197.196: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 108.162.197.196:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 109ms, Average = 71ms

Apparently I can communicate with the site.

@@ebr

Frustrating, ain't it? ;)

@@Luke

Doesn't the fact that I can ping your server mean I can communicate with the server and that the problem is not with my configuration? Would a proxy block the ping, too?

Do you know of any other ClickOnce installer routine I could try, on any web site, it doesn't really matter? I just want to see whether it works. I'm fairly certain I have installed other things with ClickOnce routines, but can't know for sure.

If my ISP runs through a proxy there must be millions of users in France that are affected because I use the biggest ISP in France, which is Orange. I just looked at my internet config and there is no mention of a proxy, although it does use a DHCP server for assigning IP adresses. While I was there I stopped the internet firewall (not the Windows one) and tried to install again. Same error message.

I appreciate your help folks.

khodges747

The 1st one gives me this error message on a web page:

Installation fails with error message ‘URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT -2146697208'

The 2nd one says:

URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX00EN/436?!/Office365DesktopSetup.application'.

That's the same error number I get off you server. So it appears you were right all along Luke.

I take it from your earlier message that you don't have a workaround. Do you know how I can kill the ISP's proxy?

khodges747

Thanks for the hint ebr. I tried it and nothing changed. Doesn't that setting only affect IE anyway?

I'm pretty much resigned to using MB2, which I like and have configured exactly the way I want it, so I'm satisfied. I was going to install MB3 for the speed gain and some of the other new things, but don't really "need" it.

If you (or MS) ever figure out a way to allow people with ISP proxies to install it, let me know.

And have a merry Christmas!