Windows 10 HDCP issues - anyone else?

Nathanio

Nathanio

I upgraded our HTPC to Windows 10 yesterday from Windows 8.1 and have come up against a HDCP issue

I am using PowerDVD 13 Ultra but it keeps complaining of HDCP handshake issues. I downloaded the BD advisor cool from Cyberlink and notice it says digitial but not HDCP compliant. 

It was running fine as used it Thursday night to watch John Wick on BR but went to watch Independence Day tonight and couldn't get it to connect!

I've ended up using PassKey Lite to get it to play but that seems a little silly!

Anyone else?

Koleckai Silvestri

Have not personally had this problem. However, I don't play BD directly. It is always converted to MKV with x.264 video streams first.

pir8radio

Yea i would go to the video card website and get/install the drivers from there as a first step.. 

Nathanio

Definitely using the correct drivers and latest from the iGPU. 

Seems I'm not alone with those on v15111 of Win10. Plenty of people with AMD, nVidia and Intel struggling. And it was working prior to 15111,,,,

Koleckai Silvestri

That is the standard retail version from November. If it was common, there would be a lot more talk about it. How old are your monitors and the cables? Are the cables frayed? Any loose connections? Make sure everything is HDCP 1.4 compliant. HDCP 2.2 if you're doing 4K content.

Nathanio

That is the standard retail version from November. If it was common, there would be a lot more talk about it. How old are your monitors and the cables? Are the cables frayed? Any loose connections? Make sure everything is HDCP 1.4 compliant. HDCP 2.2 if you're doing 4K content.

A quick google reveals plenty of Windows 10 users with Intel, AMD and nVidia graphics cards having a problem. Some users have gone back to pre-15111 version and it comes back working again (with no other changes). 

It was working on Windows 8, upgraded and lost HDCP. No hardware changes....

No loose connectors, changes to cables or hardware,

Overseer

This is interesting. I have four desktops in my household that I have Windows 10 post 1511 installed.  Three of these have nVidia cards and one using Intel chipset for video.  None of these have any HDCP issues.

What I've done with my systems is upgraded each system to Windows 10 to tag the digital entitlement to the system and then did a clean install of Windows 10 right after that.  Update for 1511 was installed when that came out for each system.

Wonder if there's something hanging around in the registry/system from the pre-10 installs?

pir8radio

I know it sounds kind of dumb, but for giggles, can you try a different HDMI cable? Just to eliminate that as an issue..   I had a similar issue with my xbox one and TV, ended up being the cable when it worked fine the night before..   I'm sure it's a win10 issue, but just to eliminate one more thing...  :-)  Make sure your trying an hdmi cable that is currently playing HDCP stuff, if you have one.

Also what kind of monitor is your HDMI (or is id dvi?) plugged into?   Make/Model

Is there also an internal or on board video card enabled?

I have also read here and there, that cyberlink has HDCP issues, seems random as to who it affects, but did you try the microsoft dvd player app?

Edited by pir8radio