Audio/Subtitle Track Memory

Harblar

Harblar

I recently loaded up plex a month or so back to give it a try and see what the differences are.  For the most part I still prefer Emby. (Emby theater is really the only solid and viable solution for direct playback of HD MKV's in a home theater environment at the moment)

That being said, there were a couple of neat options I found in plex that I think would be very useful in Emby. The most useful, I think, would be instituting a memory system for media with multiple audio and subtitle tracks.  For example...  Say I own a foreign language movie (say an old Kungfu movie of some kind) and the media has both the original Chinese audio and English subtitle tracks as well as an English dubbed audio and subtitle track.  What Plex allows a user to do is select their desired tracks from the Media Info/description screen before hitting play. It also remembers your selection unless you manually change it, at which point it will continually remember your new setting.

This also works great for selecting appropriate forced tracks, which can be hard to nail down when ripping a movie to mkv. By allowing a Subtitle memory, I can simply rip the mkv (selecting all available subtitle tracks), play the movie, and try each track till I find the right forced track. Once I find it, I never have to touch it again and it will just always work on each subsequent viewing.

Mainly, I've got a fairly large collection of Anime and I run into this subtitle juggling thing a lot. One track is for subtitles to accompany the Japanese audio, one track is closed caption for the English dubbed audio, and a third track is for forced subtitles that pop up as translation for Japanese writing. 99.9% of the time they are all labeled the same and require trial and error to figure out, but since they don't keep that selection indefinitely, I end up doing this every time I decide to rewatch a series. In addition, I have to do this for each episode after the video starts. 

Anyway, it doesn't seem as though it would be all that hard to implement and it would really streamline the functionality of watching videos (regardless of client platform).  :-)

• Like 2