[Feature Request] Enable Direct Play for DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA 7.1

shorty1483

shorty1483

7.1 DTS-HD HRA and MA is currently transcoded to AC3 5.1. From specs, the 7.1. format also contains a 5.1 core, so no problem for the Samsung TV.

[dca @ 00ef27a0] Number of channels changed in DCA decoder (8 -> 6)

5.1 DTS-HD HRA and MA and also 6.1 DTS-ES seem to work though after a fullfilled request here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17195-feature-request/page-4&do=findComment&comment=233621 and here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17195-feature-request/page-4#entry233671 ? But my memory is so bad :D @@FrostByte You still know?

Edited by elysium
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Maybe bump the number of channels up to 8, or even delete the channels line altogether for all models for DCA only?  You really shouldn't need it since the TV's DCA decoder knows if it can play DTS-HD, or not in our case, and strips the lossey one for playback.

378  		case "dca": 
379 			this.audiocodec = true; 
380 			this.audiocontainer = ["asf","avi","mkv","mp4","3gpp","mpg","mpeg","ts","m4v","m2ts","mov","vro","tp","trp","flv","vob","svi","mts","divx"]; 
381 			this.audiochannels = 7; 
382 			break; 

• Like 2

FrostByte

...plus changing the channels to 8 or removing the line altogether would also help those out who have newer receivers which can play DTS-HD in 7.1 

• Like 1

shorty1483

I did not find something specific in F Series User manual in internet, but enabling it for F could not be bad. If someone complains that it's not working, the rollback for F should be easy.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I don't know why you couldn't do it for all models.  Since there is always 2 streams with all DTS-HD your receivers hardware DCA decoder should sort things out and play the stream which is compatible with it. 

I think we should just let the hardware do the work and not automatically transcode.  If there are issues we can always change it back :)

• Like 1

FrostByte

From what I understand even a receiver that only supports DTS-HD up to 5.1 can take the extra HD channels and merge them and still use the HD stream, but you still have that lossey stream to fall back on in case.