AFTV1 + OS5 + Emby / Any Hiccups?

Tanamur
Go to solution Solved by Redshirt,

Tanamur

I am now living in the GMT+7 time zone and anxiously awaiting the OS5 push to my AFTV1 as of 14 Feb. I am curious if anyone else has completed this and if there were any problems? Also I would really appreciate knowing if OS5 brings Asia Pacific time zone options to the setup for GMT+ 6, 7 and 8. Thanks

• Solution
Redshirt

My AFTV1 upgraded last night and it was a problem free. There are no timezone entries for GMT +6,7,8. Still limited to regions they sell in I guess.

• Like 1

Tanamur

@@Redshirt - Thanks for the quick and positive response to the upgrade process as it relates to Emby.

It's a bummer the APac time zones aren't supported. I bought the box for the power and app support in addition to Amazon Prime video (which is geographically blocked here). However Amazon Prime music is not blocked and Netflix has just launched in Japan, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia so it is a bit short sighted not to make an effort to support the time zone setting for apps supported globally.

I love the clock and ending time for video in Emby. Now I have to set the time 12 hours off local time to get some semblance of functionality. Cheers

Both my sticks appear updated.  All I use them for is Netflix and Emby and things appear working fine with the exception of surround sound.  2 channel videos play fine in Emby but surround sound only appears to output the L and R channels even though it thinks it's doing 5.1 so most dialog is missing.  There's another thread started on that issue. If given a choice, I'd probably refrain from upgrading if that's even possible for the time being.

Redshirt

Both my sticks appear updated.  All I use them for is Netflix and Emby and things appear working fine with the exception of surround sound.  2 channel videos play fine in Emby but surround sound only appears to output the L and R channels even though it thinks it's doing 5.1 so most dialog is missing.  There's another thread started on that issue. If given a choice, I'd probably refrain from upgrading if that's even possible for the time being.

Do you have the Stick plugged into a receiver? Does the receiver actually say it's outputting dts or are we talking lpcm audio?

It wasn't DTS with the file I checked as the original was AC3 and it was being transcoded to AAC. I thought the Fire TV didn't support DTS so why would it ever output DTS?

Redshirt

That was just a typo, I had meant ac3 / dd but the wrong acronym popped out. You answered my question though. 

• 2 weeks later...
Tanamur

Hi Forum and @@Redshirt - I am happy to report all the way out in GMT+7 I got the OS5 upgrade last night. I was simply greeted with the screen denoting My Videos has a new home. 

I would like to report that the AFTV app fired (no pun intended) up with no problem. The one annoyance is that when I reboot the AFTV1 now that it does let out this loud audio screech during final boot up. I am connected to a flat screen TCL product via HDMI and external line speakers. It's not a regular thing but quite annoying when a reboot is required.

I would just like to confirm that even with an IP address in GMT+7 that there is no time zone setting for Asia Pacific.

According to some forums, Alexa is not available in the UK, it is available to me based on my Amazon account settings.

Cheers, @Tanamur

Edit: How to find the manufacturing date of your AFTV device.

I am not sure that the FireOS5 update is based on the manufacturing date but if you want to check your device (and don't want to turn it over) you can get the serial number from the Amazon website and put it into an AFTVnews calculator quite easily (remove the spaces).

My device details are:

Rootable: Yes
Likely Software Version: 51.1.0 or 51.1.0.1<-----does not reflect the Latest Software Version: 5.0.5_user_537174420
Manufactured: By Foxconn on 29 April 2014
Hardware Revision: 02
Unit Revision: 01
Condition (New or Refurbished): New

...and the OS5 update occurred on 24 February 2016 even though the screen incorrectly reads 20 Jan 2016

Edited by Tanamur

Nathanio

We've updated our stick to FOS5 and I am having a big problem with lip sync in emby using VLC. If I don't use VLC, I have no lip sync issues. It is out by around 2 seconds on SD mp4 files!

I don't think our AFTV box has updated yet.

Tanamur

We've updated our stick to FOS5 and I am having a big problem with lip sync in emby using VLC. If I don't use VLC, I have no lip sync issues. It is out by around 2 seconds on SD mp4 files!

I don't think our AFTV box has updated yet.

I have the VLC player enabled on my AFTV1 (OS5) Box and am not experiencing this myself. 

Nathanio

I have the VLC player enabled on my AFTV1 (OS5) Box and am not experiencing this myself. 

I tried factory resetting it yesterday and starting fresh at 5.0. It seems to be doing the same thing still. I've disabled VLC and its happily playing now. I'm not overly fussed tbh. Just an observation