External player support

jscoys

ChrisSHouston

Is there any way to see the actual commands being passed?

I'm attempting to use ePSXe (a game emulator) and I'm having trouble getting the command line arguments to work properly for it. Other emulators that require command line arguments work fine, and I know my path substitution is correct since those other emulators are able to launch their ROMs (located in the same Path).

I've confirmed via a batch file that the following command is correct:
C:\Games\Programs\PS1\ePSXe.exe -nogui -loadbin {path} (where I've substituted the network path)

However, attempting to structure it as

C:\Games\Programs\PS1\ePSXe.exe

-nogui

-loadbin {path}

Results in a quick flicker of the screen (as if something is attempting but failing to launch) and nothing more. I'm unable to decipher what's happening in my local logs or the server log, as neither contains anything that appears to be related to the launching of the emulator application. If I'm looking in the wrong place, though (UserName/Appdata/Roaming/Emby-Theater/logs) then I'll be happy to provide any log that may shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

it's currently not written to a log, although we should do that. but make sure each argument is placed on it's own line individually

{path}

ChrisSHouston

That did the trick, thanks. I was so hung up on viewing the "-Loadbin {path}" as a single command to Load the stated binary file that it didn't occur to me that it really was two separate arguments.

James

@@Luke on v2.5.3 when screensaver is enabled and using external player the system freeze for a while when you exit the external player after. Disabling screensaver resolves the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? This is a relatively new issue for my setup.

• Like 1

@@Luke on v2.5.3 when screensaver is enabled and using external player the system freeze for a while when you exit the external player after. Disabling screensaver resolves the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? This is a relatively new issue for my setup.

Yes, very high CPU usage (30-50%) in that case for an electron process (only one).

Edited by Davco

kmanus

Same problem here, seeing it on multiple clients as well.

I've added a change to prevent the screensaver from running when the app is minimized.

James

I've added a change to prevent the screensaver from running when the app is minimized.

thanks. no longer seem to freeze up

Grenth

Hello!

I'm a huge fan of the External player feature, but I find the automatic switch to Emby Theatre every time we close the external player (I tried with VLC and MPC-HC) quite annoying. Is there a way to disable that behavior? I'm used to have many applications running at the same time with many windows opened, and I really don't like those which force themselves on top. It's all about personnal preferences I know, but I would be very glad if there was a way to disable that.

Worst of all, it is totally bugged on my dual screen setup. I usually use Emby Theater in windowed mode. But once I close VLC, MBT is opened in small, but with a fullscreen black backgound (e.g http://i.imgur.com/kwXpbTe.jpg).It means every time I close the external player, MBT goes on fullscreen on its own. Is this a known bug or should I submit a new bug report?

Thank you!

Grenth

Thank you for you answer!

I can of course understand your position. Is the bug I described also "outside the most typical usage scenario"? Or can I create a new report bug thread and expect a fix for it?

ShoutingMan

How do you set Emby Theater to not stay on top of the External Player, blocking its display?

I set PowerDVD as external player and that seems to work fine, with path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe" and the {path} argument. But Emby Theater stays on top of the screen at all times. Even Alt-Tab doesn't work, ET forcibly stays on top. Only by manually shrinking ET does it allow any other application to be on top.

I'm running the latest non-paid version of ET in the latest update of Windows 10.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

If PowerDVDCinema doesn't open full screen, maximise it then shut it - it will open full screen from then on.

Best

- James

I did this little dance with PowerDVD.exe (from PowerDVD16 Ultra) and it's working at the moment....maybe...maybe not. ET seems to kill PowerDVD randomly sometimes...

Emby Theater seems to kill the PowerDVD process after minute. I'm in the trial mode with only 1-min playback. I suppose this might be obvious, but does ET kill PowerDVD after a minute to enforce the trial mode rule?

(I get it, but external playback is so finicky and fraught -- I tried Kodi for a month before giving up -- that I"m wary of paying $150 for ET to find that its External Playback doesn't actually work.)

Edited by ShoutingMan

solabc16

Hello @@ShoutingMan

Take a look at this - http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/?p=341484

Launching PowerDVD Cinema directly will help.

Ignore that, Cyberlink have made some changes - stick with the configuration as noted above in http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/?p=353638 for PowerDVD 16.

The trick of running it a few times until you have everything how you want it still appears to work ok.

i.e. run it in TV Mode and make it full screen, then close it; these should then be the defaults when you re-open.

You can save the TV Mode preference here if you prefer:-

57a7788f5e580_powerdvd161.png

We shouldn't have the problem we had with PowerDVD 15, if not using cinema mode, as a quick trace indicates PowerDVD is no longer switching to a different process like it used to.

- James

Edited by solabc16

I did this little dance with PowerDVD.exe (from PowerDVD16 Ultra) and it's working at the moment....maybe...maybe not. ET seems to kill PowerDVD randomly sometimes...

Emby Theater seems to kill the PowerDVD process after minute. I'm in the trial mode with only 1-min playback. I suppose this might be obvious, but does ET kill PowerDVD after a minute to enforce the trial mode rule?

(I get it, but external playback is so finicky and fraught -- I tried Kodi for a month before giving up -- that I"m wary of paying $150 for ET to find that its External Playback doesn't actually work.)

Yes that would be why.

ShoutingMan

Yes that would be why.

Thanks. And I see I can effectively do a $5 one month trial. And Lifetime is $99, not the $150 I thought I'd read elsewhere.

I had the same problem with pdvd16 after 37 mins if i am playing a mkv or any type of video file power dvd closes if i play a iso or blueray folder it plays the whole movie asked cyberlink they could not figure it out this does not happen in the old ET 

GhostRider

I had the same problem with pdvd16 after 37 mins if i am playing a mkv or any type of video file power dvd closes if i play a iso or blueray folder it plays the whole movie asked cyberlink they could not figure it out this does not happen in the old ET 

I am having the same issue, PowerDVD 15 called as an external player from ET closes after about 36-37 minutes. Causing me much distress! Is there a workaround that anyknows?

It started around the time I upgraded to Windows 10 so not sure if this a Windows, or ET releated issue. Don't think it is PowerDVD as it used to work fine before the inplace update to Windows. Updated ET since then so the things that have changed are Windows and ET.

I have disabled screen saver in ET, turned off power saving on the network card driver in Windows but I still have the 36-37 minute issue.

Any ideas?

Edited by GhostRider

ShoutingMan

Thanks for the heads-up. That would be a big problem. That's why 1-min playback demos are insufficient.

The only way i found is to convert videofiles to blueray folders with tsmuxer then they will play fine i think it has something to do with the are you still watching thing because the old ET works fine and does not have that one function

ShoutingMan

I'll have to check this carefully before buying. If Emby auto-kills PowerDVD after half an hour, I won't be buying / subscribing to Emby.

I'm not doubting that they're having an issue but I don't think it's the app that is killing the external player.