External player support

jscoys

jscoys

Hi,

We are a couple of people very exited about an external player option in the new ET. We are also waiting for it to be able to use the new ET on a daily base...

I know it's planned but haven't any ETA. When do you think this feature (available in the old ET) will be available in the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys
  • Like 4

soundsnake8

I have posted twice about external player for 3D iso's, I am currently using PowerDVD 15. This feature would be a very welcome addition to ET. I am a 3D addict. Right now though EMC is my first choice. I am running Windows 10 and have no problems it seems to run smoother for me than Windows 7.

• Like 2

jscoys

Ok i posted to your thread. Hope @@Luke will quickly consider to implement this feature to let us upgrade to the new ET (which is awesome).

• Like 1

Oh God Please bring back external player support!

The internal player has always been buggy and jittery on my system but VLC works perfectly.

Also VLC lets me play ISO's. I know some people think ISOs are outdated, but then I can have my menus. I'm an extra features nut, and ISOs keep all the extra features packaged as intended.

Thanks. I love the new layout but it's almost useless to me. I am using a legacy version.

• Like 3

soundsnake8

I have been using Slysoft AnyDVD HD to rip all my bluray 3D discs and MakeMKV for everything else. I have 80 rips in my 3D folder. it has been great ! but now that Slysoft has been forced to close by the U.S. JUSTICE DEPT,  I  now have to switch to Stereoscopic Player and run all 3D rips with MakeMKV as mk3d's for as long as that is still active or use my Samsung BF-7500 set top player unless some Tech wizard out there has come up with something new and exciting. A Question mark looms over decrypting software's future. Very Disappointed !

• Like 1

solabc16

Evening

A quick note to add my name to the list of those requesting this feature be added to the new ET.

I believe there are plenty of reasonable use cases supporting the need for this to be implemented.

Best

- James

• Like 1

jscoys

Ok thx for your post. We can see this post as a petition to ask for an Emby developper's priority to make this great feature back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My dream would be to get Zoom Player setup with as the default player with complete resume/progress tracking.

Though I also understand I'd probably need to code my own plugin to make all that work with the Zoom Player comm API: http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?s=52b1a0c73342048dd67a07d9a7dc4900&showtopic=7051

Yes you would, and if you would like to build a zoomplayer plugin, let me know and i'll get you started. You would need to be familiar with javascript in order to handle it.

jscoys

Little question for @@Luke : is it possible to bring back at least external player configuration support in the config xml file of ET? It's quick to implement and the interfaces to manage these confs could come later... It gives us the ability to upgrade to the new ET! Because to be honest I have the feeling of being punished (can't upgrade) because I use this feature...

solabc16

Not sure I would go as far as saying I feel punished, but it would certainly be nice to be able put MBT out to pasture and focus my efforts on ET; it's certainly not getting the mileage it deserves at the moment.

I like your thinking and would also be happy with a configuration file only solution, either as an interim or on a (temporary) permanent basis.

I'm not sure how many of us are using external players, I suspect not many or this would be higher up the priority list, so this would be a nice compromise and for those using external players I suspect the non-GUI configuration is unlikley to be an obstacle.

- James

• Like 1

Bandits

I would love to see external player support but I am not holding my breath. I don't use Emby for its player, I use it for its library management and it does a great job at that. I have always found media library programs that try and do internal player support never come close to the quality of stand alone players. I have my own player I would love to use with Emby Theater, I am just waiting for external player support.

• Like 1

GhostRider

Another vote for external player support in Emby Theater. I use PowerDVD as an external player in Emby for WMC for its up-scaling and smart stretching of old 4:3 TV series. 

Hopefully it can be added in a similar way to Emby for WMC. If Emby Theater can support external players I should be able to drop WMC and update to Windows 10.

jscoys

Welcome my dear! The more we are, the more devs understand the importance of this feature.

Nebular Nerd

External Players are the bees knees for those of us who want to squeeze every last bit of quality out of a source, lets please see this sooner rather than later. It's no fun seeing the nice shiny new interface but not be able to use it.

Because in the new Emby Theatre the option is not available...

Right but what he means is, why won't the internal player fulfill your needs...?

jscoys

I can't answer for others, they've written their use of External Player feature just above.

There are a lot of great player (MPC-HC...). Personaly I use Splash 2 which bring me all my movies at 60 fps and has different algorithms to improve the picture quality, really better than MadVr. It's a commercial software, so I paid for it, and now I'm really nervous because Emby stated that it is not a priority to implement this feature, and my dear video player become useless. Internal Emby media player is great, but I never found an other player with this quality on a Windows system (and my 120hz/50 inches TV like to eat that a lot). To be totally transparent, it was an argument that made me choose MediaBrowser many years ago instead of Plex...

Removing this feature is like saying to people that Emby become every day less and less customizable. It depends on the politic you want to adopt in the future.

Luke said it's a planned feature, but your question let me think that you want to debate about it. Could you please say if this is really planned and if "Yes", when?

The feature hasn't been removed and is still planned.

Our understanding of exactly why people want an external player though allows us to understand how to potentially make the internal player better.  Also, some people may just have a hard time parting with what they are used to and not even try the internal player.

Jack Burton

I'm finding the internal player pretty good, though not quite up to par with some other players. Could just be in my head though. External support does interest me, but I prefer having everything inside the program. That said, if another player has better quality, I'd like the option. Also, are there currently any keyboard shortcuts for the internal player? After setting to madvr things are looking good, but having some audio issues. I'm looking for audio offset as most of the time things are slightly off. Any command for that or is it in progress?

The internal player has potential, but it still doesn't fit everyone's needs. To offer the maximum flexibility to allow people to use ET as they want, it really is essential that you get external player support back into the product asap, and give people a choice. I won't use ET on my main HTPC until this feature is restored. I'm testing it, and following it's progress, but that's it at the moment. In my personal opinion, still nothing beats MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR for total control, features and image quality.

Natilus13

I too find d that the internal player seems to have some audio sync issues. I've also run into the problem with some of my 16:9 files being played back in 4:3 ratio. If I use an external player, I do not have this issue.

I also have the problem with Windows screensaver coming on when I use the internal player. I really hope the option to call an external player will be added soon.

I do really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into Media Browser/Emby. I've been a longtime user and look forward to continued use.