Make folder-recognizing a little less smart

anderbytes

anderbytes

I just wish there were more organization options, or that somehow Emby could "ignore" one layer of folders, or something.

Today Im forced to have a folder with all my videos inside (not-tv) , but I wish I could separate them physically (files) by year folders, but inside Emby he tries to interpret these folders as media so messes up everything.

The idea isn't to have a library for each year. I'm just worried that in the near future looking at my video folder (in O.S.) will be a tiresome task (too many files).

Dunno if it is possible, though

Ps: the opposite happens with music library. My folder of music isn't separated by album folders, just threw all audio files there, and this confuses emby, makes using the library a strange experience.

anderbytes

For videos this really should be no problem as things stand now

I'll try again later today.

Last time I tried, he imported my folders as if were media, imported images for it, threw it at home screen, it was hell on earth...

Edited by anderbytes

Happy2Play

Didn't have an issue re-organizing media into year, but every movie has its own folder.  Are you wanting to just down movie files into a year folder?

56be6dbab5810_year.jpg

This test was on dev build 3.0.5886.27798.

Edited by Happy2Play

anderbytes

Didn't have an issue re-organizing media into year, but every movie has its own folder. Are you wanting to just down movie files into a year folder?

56be6dbab5810_year.jpg

This test was on dev build 3.0.5886.27798.

Exactly. The only files there are mkv and srt. No folders for each movie.

Is there a good reason to create a FOLDER for each movie?

Happy2Play

Proper recognition and better organization.  To much madness everything lumped into one folder, when you have multiple backdrops, banners, clearart, disc, thumb, folder, logo images for every movie plus the media and the xml/nfo .

Koleckai Silvestri

Is there a good reason to create a FOLDER for each movie?

Organization. It gets chaotic with trailers, background videos, background music, images, etc.. Plus storing your metadata in the folder with your media allows quicker crash recovery or reinstalls if you need to do so.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Also if on a Windows system you will see degraded performance as file count rises.

While the maximum number of files in a folder is 4,294,967,295, if you are planning to manipulate them using Windows Explorer then you will start to see very slow performance with as few as 16,000 files.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/what-is-the-maximum-number-of-files-i-can-place/07b62caa-04c7-4c8a-92bb-6ac12b737beb?auth=1

anderbytes

Well, will try it. I had everything NOT being saved with the media.

I'm in Linux, so no performance issues.

So you say if I create year folders and inside media folders, everything will be alright and organized? Gotta try

Happy2Play

Since you don't save metadata with media I believe every time you re-organize your media the media gets a new item id so your metadata is refreshed/refetched.  At least it did in my test case.

Edited by Happy2Play

anderbytes

Do you create a FOLDER NAME for each media with the same FILENAME of the video, without the video extension?

Example: /mnt/DISK/VIDEOS_FOLDER/YEAR/VIDEO.YEAR.QUALITY.RELEASE/VIDEO.YEAR.QUALITY.RELEASE.MKV

Is that how you keep?

Happy2Play

Yes, here is the structure I tested with.  Library points to \\Video Test\Movies

\\Video Test\Movies\2015\The Longest Ride (2015)\The Longest Ride (2015).mkv

anderbytes

Yes, here is the structure I tested with.  Library points to \\Video Test\Movies

\\Video Test\Movies\2015\The Longest Ride (2015)\The Longest Ride (2015).mkv

Thanks.

I'm moving everything right now to execute the tests.

Does Emby work better with SPACES or DOTS?

FOLDER: The Longest Ride (2015) or The.Longest.Ride.(2015)    ?

FILE: The Longest Ride (2015).mkv  or  The.Longest.Ride.(2015).mkv   ?

Happy2Play

I don't believe it matters since it is configured to work with them.

<SortReplaceCharacters>
    <string>.</string>
    <string>+</string>
    <string>%</string>
  </SortReplaceCharacters>

anderbytes

As I expected. Emby messed everything.

Exactly ALL items below are wrong. And I used the structure you suggested.

He took 4 folders and instead of showing the movies inside, return 4 KISS (!!!!???!!) shows. Not to mention the other errors...

Terrible.

56be8c3358275_Untitled.png

Edited by anderbytes

anderbytes

i've only glanced but what's the problem? they're all in the year folders just like you want them.

Please understand. That is the metadata for OTHER media that I dont have. It got everything wrong... he used the YEAR FOLDER NAME to search for this, not the subfolder INSIDE year

Example: Inside folder 1983 there`s only one folder, Star Wars Episode VI , and inside, the media

Edited by anderbytes

i'm having a hard time seeing the issue, sorry. maybe use a screenshot with images and also discuss what you think the expected layout should be.

anderbytes

i'm having a hard time seeing the issue, sorry. maybe use a screenshot with images and also discuss what you think the expected layout should be.

Luke, the layout seems correct... but let get an EXAMPLE:

In my image above... you see "Kiss (1983) Essen 1983)"

But I DONT have anything related to KISS.

What I have is "VIDEOS FOLDER/1983/Star Wars Episode VI/Star Wars Episode VI.mkv"H

He`s using string 1983 to search for metadata!!!!

Edited by anderbytes

anderbytes

Of all the media... he got right about 50%.

For some coincidence (I guess) .... the newer the year, the more chance he gets right the metadata

After year 1999, he only made 2 mistakes (of almost 20)

Edited by anderbytes

anderbytes

I manually IDENTIFY a wrong video, saved, then NFO is updated.

After this... I believe he respects the local saved .NFO , and now he isn't getting wrong this one I identified manually.

I guess I can manually get everything identified, but what about getting wrong new media?

When it was outside YEAR FOLDERs , he always pinpointed the right metadata.

Koleckai Silvestri

Name your movie folders..

Moviename (year)

Brackets are typically ignored and cause problems. Not having the year in parenthesis causes problems. Consistency in naming your files is the key. I get near 100% correct identification on every single movie.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

anderbytes

Name your movie folders..

Moviename (year)

Brackets are typically ignored and cause problems. Not having the year in parenthesis causes problems. Consistency in naming your files is the key. I get near 100% correct identification on every single movie.

I don't understand why nobody is managing to see my scenario.

Emby ignores what comes after the YEAR FOLDER  (in the case, after folder called "1983"). It doesnt matter if I put year or not in movie folder name, he will still search metadata only of "1983"

Edited by anderbytes