WD My Cloud EX2 as Emby Server?

InsomniaStudios

InsomniaStudios

Hi, new to the forums and trying to get things figured out. 

I have read a lot about Emby as being a great solution to my media serving and streaming needs, I just have had some difficulty figuring out how to get it up and running and or if it is even possible.

As it stands right now I have a WD My Cloud EX2 NAS storing and serving up my media to a series of Amazon TV FireSticks in my house through KODI. I was hoping to setup Emby to run on the WD and install the KODI addon for it in order to keep my media organized / up to date between devices. I can't for the life of me though figure out if it is even possible much less where to start.

Does anyone have any experience running / installing Emby on the WD My Cloud EX2? I know you are able to install 3rd party apps manually on to it, is there a specific version to download and install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...
Waldonnis

@@InsomniaStudios

We now have Emby Server for Western Digital NAS in testing:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59597-emby-server-for-western-digital-nas

Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

@@Luke

The EX2 models employ ARM processors (Marvell ARMADA 370 for the EX2, and 385 for the Ultra) rather than the Intel Atom/Pentium-Ns that the higher-end models do...so I doubt the existing packages would work.  If you want, I could try since I have an EX2 Ultra hanging off of my router.

For reference, here's the product matrix from WD.

Edited by Waldonnis

• 4 weeks later...
jimbards

I keep all my media on a WD MyCloud EX2100, with 8TB of media to date, so would be helpful if there were an Emby server created to work with the EX series.  Plex has a format that runs direct from the EX, but I'm a long-term Emby supporter and plan on keeping it that way. Has been a great service for me for the past 8 years....

• 1 month later...
mmtrago

kind of funny. guess i should have done more research. the only reason i bought the wd ex2 ultra was to use emby with it. guess it's plex for now.

Edited by mmtrago

• 1 month later...
ladro9hands

I am in the same boat with you mmtrago. I really would rather not be stuck with Plex, but I already got this EX2 without knowing that only those 4 WD devices were supported. :(

ladro9hands

I think he just meant that seeing the ad gets your expectations up. Not that it was misleading or fraudulent. I think I am going to continue using Emby server on my PC anyway since it's so much better than Plex. I will just hold out until Emby is available on my NAS.

• 3 weeks later...
tafelpoowt

It's just impossible to compile on of the main Emby dependencies for ARM at the moment.

Once that bug is resolved, you may get an Emby package.

• 1 year later...

It's been another year and so far i've only seen the comunity version for WD Arm devices... is this still on a todo list / roadmap? or we are stuck with comunity version?

Or we are stuck with comunity version?

We're interested in building our own version of this. I can't say when that will come, but it's something we'd like to do.

We're interested in building our own version of this. I can't say when that will come, but it's something we'd like to do.

Lovely, music to my ears.. but..  :) pls tell me is not going to take another year :)))

• 1 year later...