Migrate from Win7 to FreeBSD

Brad303

My Windows 7 media center PC is having issues, so I'm trying to migrate my server to one of my FreeBSD guests. In the migration guide, Luke says to copy all the program data to the "equivalent locations" on the new server. It looks like the equivalent location on FreeBSD are /var/db/emby-server. Is that correct?

Also, on the Win7 box, the library paths are referenced by \\nas\Movies, \\nas\TV, etc. Will I need to manually edit those after copying over the config files? Will the watched history remain intact? If it won't, is there a way to manually edit the db files with sqlite3 to adjust the database so it is?

Truthfully since you're changing operating systems I would suggest a clean install. There's no guarantee of compatibility of the db files. You can also check out the backup plugin in the catalog which can help since it does not use the database directly.

Well, I would try the backup plugin, but it's not available for install under my FreeBSD install. Is that because I missed something, or is it due to an incompatibility?

It's an Emby server plugin, not freebsd plugin. once you've installed emby server it will be listed inside emby server's plugin catalog.

I'm not sure why the backup plugin wasn't available, but I copied the DLL and XML files to their respective homes on FreeBSD and it worked.

Of course my CIFS shares weren't recognized in the library, but it appears that the watched status remained intact.