WMV hardware decode support?

axehandler

axehandler

I recently purchased the lifetime membership cause I believe the program is working awesome and wanted to get behind you guys :)

I was curious when emby will support WMV hardware decode?

If I attempt to play Direct stream 8000kbps WMV-HD (vc-1) on my Android TV - it stutters and is un-watchable. 

if I attempt to play Trans-coded 8000kbps WMV-HD - it plays fine for about 10 mins then the audio off-syncs - reset and works for about 10 mins.. etc.

before anyone asks. MP4's work fine and Streaming the WMV to pc/Xbox 360/IOS (actually the emby in Media center is perfect!). just the Android TV has the above issues...

so I assume it's an hardware acceleration issue... however I noticed this...

==========================

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/881575/?comment=4683087

SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 2.0 Now Available (Released 10/1/15)

Expanded codec and container support:
-Adds pass-through support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio lossless audio*
-Adds MPEG2, VC-1, and WMV9 hardware-acceleration*
-Adds M2TS, ASF, and WMV container support for VC-1
-Adds WMA audio support (including WMA Pro, and WMA Lossless)

*These features are supported by the native Photo & Videos app. Other media players are expected to add support soon.

===========================

I have tested that the Native Video app does play the file from USB without issues.

So any thoughts on when this functionality will become available?

Thank you in advance..

Axehandler

axehandler

I've played with every setting I can :) and I've not found any settings that give me consistent playback when playing WMV's in the Shield Tv.

I've read dozens of suggestions on the site and played with both server side and client side before asking.

To be honest I even had to shut off Kodi's hardware decode for it to work also, Would only get audio with hardware decode. (Local off usb and network would stutter)

This is why I focused on and just asking about the Hardware decode.

Axehandler

We aren't controlling the playback at that level so it depends on what the player itself supports.

If VLC is enabled and the item can direct stream, then VLC makes its own determination on how to decode it.

If VLC is disabled, then we play through ExoPlayer which is a Google wrapper around the native player on the device and, again, it will make its own determination.

axehandler

based on that statement - disabling VLC should be the exact same as using the Native Video app.

Thank you.

More digging....

I wonder when Marshmallow is coming out.....

Axe

axehandler

Thanks for replying.

As you can see in the pictures, if I disable VLC it auto Trans-codes.

The  Direct Stream option becomes grayed out and appears off.

56bbce0f1ddcc_IMG_5248.jpg56bbce299dd88_IMG_52502.jpg

Redshirt

Can you please post a screenshot of the Media Info for one of those WMV files as it appears in the Emby web client.

If it turns out that VLC cannot directly play that content but the internal player can, that could be a tricky thing to deal with because, right now, we are assuming that VLC can play a superset of what the internal player can.

axehandler

Yea and if It trans-codes for whatever reason the audio slowly off-syncs as I mentioned above.

I'll see if I can put together a quick video of it.

Media Info From Emby

Audio
Languageeng
CodecWMAPRO
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate44100 khz
DefaultNo
Video
CodecWMV3
ProfileMain
Level-99
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate7812 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Containerwmv
Edited by axehandler

Redshirt

If it turns out that VLC cannot directly play that content but the internal player can, that could be a tricky thing to deal with because, right now, we are assuming that VLC can play a superset of what the internal player can.

The current AndroidProfile is flawed when it comes to VLC. Which is why I'm not using it as is :). There are some codec/containers that VLC does't support and those aren't being tested for. Plus the AndroidProfileOptions class isn't handling the Shield TV properly so you lose some native codec support.  The Build.MODEL for the Shield is "SHIELD Android TV" not "nvidiashield". In reality AndroidProfileOptions should query Build.MODEL internally rather than passing in a value to ensure the if-else arguments match.

the vlc profile should just be taken out of the library and moved to your apps. the purpose of the profile in the library is to query the device for reported capabilities. vlc obviously brings it's own decoders so none of that applies. actually if you guys could just go ahead and pull it into your apps that would be great, one of these days i'll just take it out. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
axehandler

Curious Bit...

I loaded a File Locally onto VLC and was still getting stuttering.

I looked into the setting and found "enable frame skip" was checked.

If I unselected it however....The video plays fine.

Since changing that setting in VLC didn't appear to affect Emby...

Is there any way to change this setting inside of Emby's VLC?

Axe

Edited by axehandler

Curious Bit...

I loaded a File Locally onto VLC and was still getting stuttering.

I looked into the setting and found "enable frame skip" was checked.

If I unselected it however....The video plays fine.

Since changing that setting in VLC didn't appear to affect Emby...

Is there any way to change this setting inside of Emby's VLC?

Axe

I will investigate.  Thx.