Direct stream playback issue

Smok@zz

Team,

When i try to watch live tv using the built-in tuner and running android TV for direct stream, i am getting very strange playback issues.  It is a little hard to describe but basically it starts off super strong, clear picture, sounds, all is good.  However, usually about 5-10 seconds after that, the picture starts to get pixelated and freezes.  The picture updates but it is still a pixelated freeze frame.  Then the audio starts to go with random dropping sound and what i can only describe as an electric squelching.  Since this isn't transcoding, I am not sure if the server log will be sufficient for your review as i haven't found anything that would lead to this (but im not the log expert).  Maybe, i can take a video to show you better what i am talking about if my description wasn't clear.  

What is interesting about this is that when transcoding, i do not experience any of the above issues.  The worst that happens is TV will start to play for about 5 seconds then freeze for 3-5 seconds and then continue uninterrupted until i stop the channel.  Not sure why it freezes though, but i digress.

Lastly, this issue is only on HD channels - not SD channels.  I thought maybe it had to do with bandwidth as i am running it over wifi - however, transcoding keeps up just fine.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

What equipment and what version of Android?

That almost sounds like the issue with Dolby Digital audio signals on Andriod

Hey ebr

I'm thanks for the reply. I am running Android TV on a nexus player with marshmallow installed. If you need anymore info, please let me know. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ice pube

What equipment and what version of Android?

That almost sounds like the issue with Dolby Digital audio signals on Andriod < 5.1.1 but we should be detecting that and avoiding it.

How do you avoid it? Is there a way to get DD 5.1 working on my shield tv? I am only getting stereo at the moment. My Shield TV hasn't updated past 5.1.1 yet. 

How do you avoid it? Is there a way to get DD 5.1 working on my shield tv? I am only getting stereo at the moment. My Shield TV hasn't updated past 5.1.1 yet. 

We avoid it by forcing stereo as you are experiencing.