Difference Between iOS App & Web UI?

dcrdev

dcrdev

So I recently paid the £3.95 to unlock the iOS app thinking that it would give me a better experience over viewing the web ui in mobile safari. I've got to say I'm quite disappointed - not because I resent shelling out money to the Emby project, I'm happy to do that but would have probably opted for the premier option as it would have given me more server features - the iOS app just doesn't seem there yet.

As far as I can tell the iOS app is just a wrapper for the actual web ui and doesn't offer anything additional - I notice no discernible improvement over just watching via the web ui in safari; granted if I was using mobile sync there might be a benefit to me here.

I think if the following features were to be made available / fixed - then it would be a massive improvement:

• Landscape orientation lock - this is a must for any video player. At least in safari there is one edge of the screen that will not trigger an rotate, but in the app it rotates on all sides and it's quite sensitive.
  • on an iPhone 6s quite a lot of views are simply cut off by the header bar making them impossible to use.

Again just constructive criticism - I really appreciate what you guys are doing and I don't want to come off as a d*** . I may even try to look at the above two issues and submit a PR via Github - I have some experience with Cordova based apps.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
dcrdev

Been waiting to say that haven't you... lol

Well I'll be damned, this is indeed excellent news!

Is it based on another library i.e. mpv or vlc , or is it something custom?

Are there any screenshots?

Will it more properly fit the iPhone X?

So many questions...

dcrdev

Been waiting to say that haven't you... lol

Well I'll be damned, this is indeed excellent news!

Is it based on another library i.e. mpv or vlc , or is it something custom?

Are there any screenshots?

Will it more properly fit the iPhone X?

So many questions...

One more actually -

Will this also handle the music portion of the app - or does that remain the same?

It's libmpv in lgpl mode. It should fix the iphone x orientation. For now we are starting with video. We'll look at music later.

• 1 month later...

Emby for iOS 1.5 has been released with the new video player, wake on lan, and more. Enjoy.

chudak

Emby for iOS 1.5 has been released with the new video player, wake on lan, and more. Enjoy.

Thanks Luke, congrats !

(and it does work on IPv6 T-Mobile network!)

• 3 weeks later...

Emby for iOS 1.5.1 has been released to resolve iPhone x playback issues. Thanks.