Installation Openmediavault

grace1414

grace1414

hey there, newbie here (very newbie) so please be kind.

a big fan of Emby, tried in on a home PC (windows) and was super impressed.

discovered it available for my Openmediavault server and thought it was Christmas.

note here, I am new to Openmediavault also but built a running system with DLNA working fine.

Have HP Micro server with8GB ram and 4x2TB drives running raid5 ... very happy with the hardware (so far).

Openmediavault is version below

56b84aef27b63_system.png

(through the gui) I have loaded the emby application version      openmediavault-emby 2.6

56b84d5548215_embyplugin.png

but when I try to install it I get the following errors which seem to indicate it is trying to install files older than I already have installed and the system is saying go to hell. no prompt to ask me what to do, just reports the following error and bugs out (technical term)

56b84bfa2de7b_embyinstall.png

any ideas???

and please, I speak no Linux so dumb it down if possible (dont assume too much from me :) )

thanks

Edited by gmiles

• 2 weeks later...
hurricanehrndz

hey there, newbie here (very newbie) so please be kind.

a big fan of Emby, tried in on a home PC (windows) and was super impressed.

discovered it available for my Openmediavault server and thought it was Christmas.

note here, I am new to Openmediavault also but built a running system with DLNA working fine.

Have HP Micro server with8GB ram and 4x2TB drives running raid5 ... very happy with the hardware (so far).

Openmediavault is version below

56b84aef27b63_system.png

(through the gui) I have loaded the emby application version      openmediavault-emby 2.6

56b84d5548215_embyplugin.png

but when I try to install it I get the following errors which seem to indicate it is trying to install files older than I already have installed and the system is saying go to hell. no prompt to ask me what to do, just reports the following error and bugs out (technical term)

56b84bfa2de7b_embyinstall.png

any ideas???

and please, I speak no Linux so dumb it down if possible (dont assume too much from me :) )

thanks

I believe the recommended method for omv is to use the docker plugin and then use our docker container.

• 3 months later...
tekkb

I just noticed so I am a bit late.  This user likely had all the OMV Extra repos enabled.  There are a few repos that cause conflicts with various plugins.  When there is a conflict it can effect the pinning of some of the dependencies and you get issue you see above.  You can normally solve this by disabling all the OMV Extra repos except mono temporarily, just to be sure you get the one causing the issue.  Then you should be able to install the Emby plugin.  Afterwards you can re-enable your desired repos.

You can verify this issue by using "apt-cache policy packagename"  on one of the dependencies that is not installing.  If the version number it is trying to install has a lower pin number it will not install.  Disable all the repos except mono and then check the pinning again with the "apt-cache policy packagename".  If the pinning for the dependency is equal too or above the other package version it will now install.

I would say the plugins are always the preferred method.  With the emby plugin the cpu usage is very low except with transcoding.  And then cpu usage depends on the cpu in question.  The emby plugin is very stable at this point in time.

PS- I know the ZFS repo is one that can cause issues with the Emby plugin.

Edited by tekkb

tekkb

Just for informational purposes here is the error message people get if they enable the zfs repo before installing Emby on OMV 3.x beta.

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
>>> *************** Error ***************
Failed
 to execute command 'export LANG=C; export 
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing 
--allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-emby 
2>&1': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 openmediavault-emby : Depends: libmono-cil-dev (>= 4.2) but it is not going to be installed
                       Depends: cli-common-dev (>= 0.9) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
<<< *************************************