Newby Install Issue

runforrestrun

runforrestrun
I'm a Plex user wanting to try out Emby, but I get this error message when trying to install.

Error Executing - C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehshell.exe /notstartupanimation/entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91De0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

System.CompoinentModel.Win32Exception
The system cannot find the file specified

post-112496-0-45783600-1454829854_thumb.png

post-112496-0-45783600-1454829854_thumb.png

AdrianW

That looks like you're trying to install the Media Center add-on (Emby for Media Center or EMC for short). EMC is one of the clients, you also need the server installing.

Have you installed the server already?

EMC requires Windows Media Center - do you have Media Center? If not, then you should try one of the other clients instead.

Yeah, looks like you are trying to install EMC on Windows 10 which doesn't have Media Center.  Or, a win 8 install without WMC.

Please see: Quick start

runforrestrun

When I go to the download page and click on Windows to download the server. This what I get every time when I try to install it.

runforrestrun
Still won't install even after disabling virus program and tried different browsers. Checked the log file and this is what I see. 

The following properties have been set:

Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}

Property: [installMode] = HomeSite {string}

Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}

Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}

Property: [VersionNT] = 6.3.0 {version}

Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList

Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full'

Read string value '4.6.01038'

Setting value '4.6.01038 {string}' for property 'DotNet45Full_TargetVersion'

The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)':

Property: [DotNet45Full_TargetVersion] = 4.6.01038 {string}

Running checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64.exe'

Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true

Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_x86_x64.exe' is 'Bypass'

Running checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe'

Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false

Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'DotNet45Full_TargetVersion' and value '4.5.50709': true

Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX45\dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe' is 'Bypass'

'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed

Launching Application.

URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'

Error: An error occurred trying to download 

Edited by runforrestrun

Happy2Play

What OS are you installing on?  Looks like error seen for Windows Server.  If server then see below.

disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security from server manager

I get the same error (and same exact log).  I'm on Win10 Pro x64.??

I tried the latest stable and beta downloads; tried to run them as administrator, no dice.

runforrestrun

I'm using Windows 10 64bit and the options or suggestions provided are for Windows Server 2008 and the [rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCacher] is not recognized.

Happy2Play

Is Enhanced Protected mode enable in Control Panel-Internet Options-Advanced?

And "rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache" should be recognized just fine, maybe you need to run as administrator.

Did you look here?

Is Enhanced Protected mode enable in Control Panel-Internet Options-Advanced?

runforrestrun

That actually works with no issues. Thanks! I just wished the installer would work. I even changed the name of it as I saved it, and it did nothing. But now I can check it out.

Thanks. Just be aware, we haven't fully documented the portable install process yet. I expect it to work fine except with some possible issues with automatic updates.

Hi, try this and let us know if it helps:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10553-cannot-install-server-or-mbtmbc/

Thanks.

Did this but unfortunately didn't help. I downloaded the .zip you linked to. Perusing through threads I assume create the %appdata%\Emby-Server folder and unzip here ... then run MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe??

Did this but unfortunately didn't help. I downloaded the .zip you linked to. Perusing through threads I assume create the %appdata%\Emby-Server folder and unzip here ... then run MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe??

That would mimic the normal install so yea that's fine. but you can put it wherever yo ulike

Fantastic, up and running now with the server ... now, when I try to install Emby Theater, I get the same deal again (error trying to download) ... I guess this makes sense?? Never had this problem with any other installers though. Can I download the master.zip from here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Theater.Windows and unzip that into a directory as I did with the server?

Any other ideas on what may be causing this issue would be appreciated. Again, log is above, I'm on Win10 build 10586 x64, lone user account (administrator), firewall turned off, AV & windows defender turned off, defaulted to multiple browsers, ran setup as administrator, tried running in compatibility mode for Windows 8, tried compatibility troubleshooter(which reported program was incompatible), applied this fix: rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache and also made sure to disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security.

I understand this statement "In very rare cases, even the above won't work.  If this is still the case for you, the other only solution Microsoft has is to re-create the user profile on the machine." may be an option and am just glad this is all on a test machine ;-)

ThePaladinTech

I've had three machines now that I have had to delete and re-create the user profile. so I don't know how 'rare' it is. my problems were different but the fix was the same. recreate the profile.  I suspect (but have no proof) that the problem in all three of my cases stemed from the released / pulled and re-released "november update."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/windows-10-november-update-mysteriously-pulled-as-concerns-about-bugs-grow/ <- article discusses the iso being pulled, but the update itself was pulled and re-released as well.

Edited by ThePaladinTech