Dual NAT'd Routers & VPN

maisto99

maisto99

I have an "External" Router (ISP Provider) that has an "Internal" Router (Purchased) connected directly behind/downstream of it.  My "Internal" Router runs a VPN, and Emby Server connects to the internet via this router.  Therefore Emby Server sees it's IP address as that of my VPN Provider.  Since my VPN Provider aggregates multiple users on an IP Address, Port Forwarding isn't available. I've setup Firewall Rules on the "External" Router (ISP Provider) so I can access Emby Server, but only if know my ISP DHCP IP Address.  Does anyone have any idea on how I can get Emby Server to see it's IP as the one from my ISP without removing it from behind the VPN?  Ultimately I am hoping to use Emby.Media again to gain access to my Emby Server remotely. Could Emby Server ever get an assignable IP address?  Thank you for your help with this issue!

in the server dashboard -> advanced -> hosting, you can specify a WAN address that the server will report to clients as the external address. In most cases though this isn't needed as the automatic detection should be sufficient.

JeremyFr79

in the server dashboard -> advanced -> hosting, you can specify a WAN address that the server will report to clients as the external address. In most cases though this isn't needed as the automatic detection should be sufficient.

Problem is he's double nat'd so it will report the IP address his 2nd router is using to connect to his ISP router so this won't work.

pr3dict

I'll try to find the link but basically you should do a split tunnel VPN. Basically everything I want to go through the VPN tunnel goes through the tunnel and the stuff (my emby server) doesn't. It's level of complication varies based on what type of VPN you are using and the OS on the "internal" router

pir8radio

why does emby need to remain on the VPN WAN if you want its access to come from the provider WAN?   Are you asking for that PC to say on VPN because there are other services that users on the VPN need to access on that PC running emby?

Doesn't the double port forward work in your case?      ISP IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 777--->(ISP router) port forward 777 to VPN router IP--->(VPN router) port forward 777 to emby server ip---->emby server running port 777?     Then like Luke said put in your wan address as your ISP address within emby.

Technically if you want Emby itself to remain behind the VPN you would need to be able to forward ports with your VPN service provider, otherwise as mentioned above split tunneling or selective routing would be the best way to handle this. The ease of selective routing can be highly dependent on what router you are using, brand name, custom built, etc. ? What OS you're running on it? If it is PFsense custom built then it is actually fairly easy to do selective routing, DDWRT and Tomato will take a little more delving into. IF you perchance have a router than can run MERLINwrt on it, he has actually incorporated selective routing with a GUI interface in his latest builds which is awesome for most people. Also some VPN providers have router level software to route selectively such as Astrill. More information about your particular setup would go a long ways towards helping you and more specificity in regards to your actual goal.

• Like 1