Shield TV - Emby App - very bad response time after selecting library

Michael_Schmitz

Michael_Schmitz

Hi,

got a new strange behaviour

I start emby client on my shield TV. 

Then I go to the library and click on one banner (e.g. TV Series)

Now I takes a very long time before emby shows the the next (library overview). 

That happens only for the first time after starting emby. After that, everything works fine.

Any idea

Server (newest release): for Synology DS415+ running DSM 6.0 Beta 2

Best

Michael

The other lines on the home screen come up okay (next up tv, latest movies, etc.)?

I would expect those to be slow to load as well if you are seeing this behavior.

Michael_Schmitz

Just tested it a minute ago. 

This is now a common behaviour. 

When I start emby I get the following error

Volley Error android.com.volley Timeout Error.

Client 1.1.46g registered

Server: Synology 3.0.5818,0

Yes, unfortunately that is an issue with the server right now.

If you wait for those timeout errors and then bring it back up everything works well...?

Michael_Schmitz

Yes, that's the case.

Other question.

After doing a library scan, the screen grabber does not work correctly. Some of the files are grabbed, some not.

Michael_Schmitz

When you look at the metadata settings for home video, you can only select screen grabber. It generates the primary pictures for emby.

I rolled back to 5.785 and now everything works fine. No problems at all.

Best

Michael

When you look at the metadata settings for home video, you can only select screen grabber. It generates the primary pictures for emby.

I rolled back to 5.785 and now everything works fine. No problems at all.

Best

Michael

I don't understand, what were you expecting to see? that's all you get for home videos.

• 3 months later...
BAS

I'm receiving volley errors, it appears to be on the generating of next up and new premiere rows. Sent  a few logs through the beta version of the app last night.

I'm receiving volley errors, it appears to be on the generating of next up and new premiere rows. Sent  a few logs through the beta version of the app last night.

Those would be timeouts due to the server responding too slowly.

BAS

Those would be timeouts due to the server responding too slowly.

OK but the weird thing is the android phone app, the roku users etc all have no problems with next up. It's only this app we can't get to the next up and started happening about two days ago. I made sure to update the Nexus player OS and made sure I'm on the latest version of Emby for ATV still no dice. I'll see what else I can find.

Is the emby.androidTV source closed?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.AndroidTv

It has to do with how the api call is made. Make sure "imagetypelimit=1" is set on this or it gets slow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It has to do with how the api call is made. Make sure "imagetypelimit=1" is set on this or it gets slow.

Interesting observation.  I'll give it a try on these queries and BAS can let us know if it makes a difference.

Of course, it means all the items will always have the same backdrop.

BAS, when you get the update to 88 let us know if it helps.

BAS

Nah it didnt fix it. It seemed to have started for me when the new premieres got rolled in. I searched for volley error in this forum and this was the only recent one. I'm assuming no one else is having issues. I did send a few more logs but I'm sure it's not going to shed any more light. Only thing I can state is what I'm seeing.

Open app, sit at main screen, next up volley error, next up disappears as choice from main screen. New premieres volley error but never disappears just has a loading icon on blank icon. If I enter the TV library, the volley error returns, and the same exact scenerio repeats inside the tv library that happens at home screen.

All other functions seem to work in ATV, stuff comes right up entering different ways to the media, and all is playing fine. Web client, roku, android phone, ios phone all connect and display next up perfectly fine with no errors.

Is this remote access or local?

I'm not surprised the image limit didn't help as that is designed to lesson the payload as opposed to the processing on the server.

Your NextUp query is timing out which leads me to believe it is the same issue as here: very slow loading of nextup & latest items

except that you say the web client is fine.  Are you testing that with the same user and under the exact same conditions?

If you close the app after these timeouts and then immediately re-open it, is it fine or does it happen every single time?

Is it consistent on every user?

If all of that is the case, please bring up Next Up in the web client for this same user and note the time.  Then bring up the app and let it error out.  Then post the server log.  Thx.

BAS

Your NextUp query is timing out which leads me to believe it is the same issue as here: very slow loading of nextup & latest items

except that you say the web client is fine.  Are you testing that with the same user and under the exact same conditions?

If you close the app after these timeouts and then immediately re-open it, is it fine or does it happen every single time?

Is it consistent on every user?

If all of that is the case, please bring up Next Up in the web client for this same user and note the time.  Then bring up the app and let it error out.  Then post the server log.  Thx.

Tested with same user same condition. Also tested with other users same conditions. Closing the app reopening causes it every time.  Only this app. I ended up clearing the data of the app and now all is working, so something in update must have caused the data of the app to get corrupt here. I'll let you know if it starts happening again.

virtualtinker

For the record, I've also been experiencing the volley error messages on the ATV App when using my Shield.  This has been happening for around 2 weeks or so, around the same time that the audio changes made those other record videos stop working in the other thread.  I hadn't posted anything on it yet as I didn't have a good way to reliably recreate the issue so instead worked through the audio issue I could recreate and waited to see if they were related and if one would fix the other.  That's not the case obviously, as the volley errors have been leading to all kinds of general slowness navigating inside the app.  I went ahead and pulled the log I have that has this morning's actions.  So in the past hour as some examples of what I tried to do, in movies when I brought up the full movie list, nothing was getting populated past F. Collections wouldn't show up at all. Search was effectively not working as I tried to search for 'star wars' waiting a good 30 seconds to a minute and all that was being shown were pretty much every album in my library. While trying to do these tasks, the volley error would occasionally appear on the bottom of the screen. I probably saw it at least 6 times in the 5 minutes or so that I was trying to navigate to Star Wars.

If you want, I can create a new thread, but it's probably related to this greater problem as a whole that others seem to be experiencing as well.  Server version is Version 3.0.5934.0 and client is whatever the latest is (I can't check cause I finally got Star Wars to work for my kid using DLNA to push it; I wasn't having any luck using the ATV client in getting it to play).

Let me know if there's any other specific information or something to test I can do to help.  Thanks!

server-63598176000.txt

CBers

I also get those volley timeout messages, but mainly during UI navigation.

It can take 2 or 3 exits and restarts before its working fluidly.

You other guys - does the problem clear up if you clear cache and data on the app?

virtualtinker

You other guys - does the problem clear up if you clear cache and data on the app?

I'll go ahead and do it, but I mentioned earlier on the other thread about the audio that I went as far as to do a fresh reset of the Shield and started from scratch with no luck.  I've also on occasion had to uninstall Emby and reinstall it in my attempts to get the interface manageable.  It comes and it goes, but when the volley errors are in full force, navigation of the UI is so bad that it's almost unusable.  I've since been pushing things to the TV direct through DLNA just to sidestep the problems I've been having for the time being.

Anyway, I'll do a full clear of the data before I wrap up Strike Back tonight.

Those errors are all timeouts which means the server is taking too long to respond.

I don't know why clearing data on the device would have any impact - unless there is some issue with the caching of network data in the http library we're using.  But that seems far-fetched to me.

It is more likely that the data clear was coincidental and not related to BAS response getting better.

CBers

For the record, and may not be relevant here, I do lose images on the app home screen after some of those volley timeout errors.

virtualtinker

So twice now, I logged into the ATV Emby client and when I tried clicking on the user to login with, the screen went black and after a while, I got a prompt that the Emby app wasn't responding.  In both cases, I went and cleared the data/cache on the app and tried again.  I was able to login at the very least with my account.  Navigation was still slow and I was getting volley errors, but the navigation wasn't so bad as to be completely unusable.  Could be coincidence or not, I'm not really sure.  However, if this scenario happens again, I'll go ahead and grab the server logs and make a note of the time all this happened and upload the logs.  Again, this is all occurring on my Shield. I don't have any other Android devices to see if I can replicate the issue on different hardware to help narrow down where the problems are coming from. I can tell you, however, that when the volley errors are occurring, my server has ample resources available, so the bottleneck isn't a lack of compute.