Prompt to use "modern" browser in html5 client

cobular

I was wondering if there was a way to permanently disable the prompt that pops up telling you to use Mozilla or Chrome when you login to the html5 client.

It seems to reappear every time you login, it would be nicer if it reminded you once per user or something and then left you alone or if there was a setting on the server to remove the notification.

I understand why the notification is there but I personally don't find Chrome suits my taste, mozilla can be a bit heavy on some devices and we don't all have the ability to install new software on all the machines we use.

Thanks, love the new theatre btw.

Hi, it should only be periodically. If you're seeing it all the time then something else is going on such as browsing days getting cleared.

Unrelated, but who not give opera a shot? Opera is based on chromium now which means you get all of the technical advanced made by chrome but without all of the Google stuff that you might not like

Cheers for the response. I havent tried out Opera since it changed back ends... might just do that.

So how often should I be seeing a notification? Once a day, week, month? Or just every time the server updates?

Koleckai Silvestri

Does the notice rely on cookies or local storage? If it relies on cookies and you have a cleaner installed, it would come up repeatedly. If it relies on local storage and your browser is older, then it may not support that functionality.

If it doesn't support localStorage at all then it's too old to run the app anyway. Running the browser in private mode (equivalent to chrome's incognito) will also cause this.

Ok that sounds about right (once or twice a week). Would be good to be able to turn this off either server wide or per user. Definitely not a deal breaker though.

Koleckai Silvestri

I get this every time. I should not be?

I have never seen this message. What browser and version are you using?

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

I have never seen this message. What browser and version are you using?

It is for internet explorer. The browser has issues that will never be fixed because Microsoft has moved all development over to Edge. Therefore I feel we owe it to our users to let them know about this before they get frustrated with the experience in IE.

• Like 1

It is for internet explorer. The browser has issues that will never be fixed because Microsoft has moved all development over to Edge. Therefore I feel we owe it to our users to let them know about this before they get frustrated with the experience in IE.

I get the notice every once in a while on Edge for Windows 10 Mobile. I wonder if it's not properly identifying itself.

CFC

Koleckai Silvestri

I get the notice every once in a while on Edge for Windows 10 Mobile. I wonder if it's not properly identifying itself.

CFC

Edge identifies itself as every browser. It has a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. The mobile user agent for Edge is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows Phone 10.0; Android <Android Version>; <Device Manufacturer>; <Device Model>) AppleWebKit/<WebKit Rev> (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/<Chrome Rev> Mobile Safari/<WebKit Rev> Edge/<EdgeHTML Rev>.<Windows Build>

• 3 months later...
RedBaron164

I run my Emby server on Server 2012 R2 which has IE 11 installed and Edge is not available for it so I get this prompt occasionally after reboots. So I have two questions:

First: Is using IE 11 to manage the server potentially problematic and could it cause issues? I haven't had any as of yet but if it could break something I'd like to know.

Second: Is there anyway of disabling that prompt via a config file or something just so I don't get prompted?

I use Edge or the Apps for clients and I only use IE 11 from the server for management purposes. I keep my servers as streamlined as possible so as part of that I don't install third party browsers on them.

Edited by RedBaron164

To just manage the server it will be fine. When I have a chance I would like to just remove the prompt but take away certain video playback from IE. I would rather not have it at all then only have it half work.

RedBaron164

Thanks, that sounds fine by me. I obviously don't need media playback capabilities when I'm RDP'd into a server :-)