Migrating server from windows to unRAID 6 Docker?

Harblar
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Harblar

I just updated my unRAID and think this would be pretty slick.

I managed to get the container loaded via this link: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/emby/embyserver/

After this I am lost on how to get my current windows config transferred over to this server.  I know I need to copy some config files from the windows server location to the unRAID server, but I am totally unable to find where on the server to put them.

Adding the Emby Container created the following folder: \Appdata\embyserver\

but that folder is completely empty. I tried copying the files listed in this guide to that directory to no avail. The server boots up fine but wants to run through the setup wizard every time. If I complete the wizard, none of my settings are in place. 

What am I missing? I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm just not seeing it.

I'm extremely new to this docker stuff, so I apologize if this has been covered in depth before somewhere. I did some searches, but wasn't able to come up with much, so any help would be great!  Thanks.

Harblar

ok... I figured out why I couldn't see the folders. I didn't change the config location so it was putting everything under \opt\Appdata\embyserver\

Since \opt\ wasn't an actual share on my system it was hiding it where I couldn't see it. I removed the container and image and then went into midnight commander and deleted the relevant folders.

I tried adding the container again, in the correct spot this time, and it worked fine. The folders showed up and were populated with the correct items.

That being said, I am still unable to get any settings and/or users to transfer to the new server. I tried the backup plugin in the old server and copied that data over and it still won't show any of my user data or my supporter status, etc...

I've gone through and basically reset everything manually now, except for the user/supporter data. How do I get that to show up correctly?

Also, all of my DVD mkv's coverart is being displayed as MPEG instead of DVD. Other than manually changing each display type to DVD, isn't there a way to have it list ALL MPEG's as DVD's? Seems like there was and that's how I got it set on my old server, but I can't remember how to do that.

hurricanehrndz

ok... I figured out why I couldn't see the folders. I didn't change the config location so it was putting everything under \opt\Appdata\embyserver\

Since \opt\ wasn't an actual share on my system it was hiding it where I couldn't see it. I removed the container and image and then went into midnight commander and deleted the relevant folders.

I tried adding the container again, in the correct spot this time, and it worked fine. The folders showed up and were populated with the correct items.

That being said, I am still unable to get any settings and/or users to transfer to the new server. I tried the backup plugin in the old server and copied that data over and it still won't show any of my user data or my supporter status, etc...

I've gone through and basically reset everything manually now, except for the user/supporter data. How do I get that to show up correctly?

Also, all of my DVD mkv's coverart is being displayed as MPEG instead of DVD. Other than manually changing each display type to DVD, isn't there a way to have it list ALL MPEG's as DVD's? Seems like there was and that's how I got it set on my old server, but I can't remember how to do that.

Moving the database is tough, your best bet is to start fresh. If you are still interested please let me know.

Edited by hurricanehrndz

Harblar

Moving the database is tough, your best bet is to start fresh. If you are still interested please let me know.

That's basically what I've done now. The only issue is getting my User Accounts and Supporter data transferred and showing up correctly. Is there a big trick to that?

Harblar

I have included some thing in the testing image for this: please see here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Docker you will see something under directions

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Ok,  I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the technicalities of Linux and how to run most of this stuff.

Is this the bit you were referring me to?

docker exec -ti emby-server bash

s6-svc -d /run/s6/services/emby-server

migrate_db /config/data/library.db /var/lib/emby-server /config

s6-svc -u /run/s6/services/emby-server

exit

and if that is the case could you help break that down into dummy speech for me?

Where would I enter that? How do I point it to the database on my windows pc? Should I copy it all to a folder on the server first?

So as best I can figure out, my current windows "library.db" file is located under \mediabrowser-server\data\library.db

and my unRAID installation has that file located under \Embyserver\data\library.db

I'm completely confused at this point. Any chance somebody could just walk me through this step by step from the "add Container" portion?

hurricanehrndz

Yes, I can walk you through but I can not until tomorrow. I'm working on moving the test image to stable. Once that is done, it will make things easier

Harblar

Yes, I can walk you through but I can not until tomorrow. I'm working on moving the test image to stable. Once that is done, it will make things easier

No worries. That would be just fine. Thanks a ton for the help!

• 4 weeks later...
Harblar

And a bump, bump, bumpity bump...

Has the transition gotten any easier? Just built a new PC (meaning I'll be transferring my old MB/CPU over to the unRAID server) and would really like to have Emby running there instead of taking up resources on my new system.

Literally the only thing I can't get done is transferring my supporter status and my single user account.  Just a step by step on that alone would get me where I need to be.

I would just suggest installing it fresh. If you'd like to use docker we have instructions on the website for that.

Harblar

I would just suggest installing it fresh. If you'd like to use docker we have instructions on the website for that.

Yeah, and I have no problem doing that. My issue is, once I have started fresh how do I then get my server to show my Emby Premier status as well as any plugins I've bought over the years?  This is the only hurdle I can't figure out and the only reason I haven't switched it over to my unRAID server yet.

• Solution

You then go to help -> emby premiere, enter your key, then install the plugins and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Harblar

You then go to help -> emby premiere, enter your key, then install the plugins and you should be fine.

Bingo!  That's what I absolutely couldn't find when I was trying to do this before! That should do it! Thanks Luke! :-)

Harblar

And...  For whatever reason it is showing my key as invalid when I paste it into the Premiere Key box. I used the "forgot key" link to send it to my email, just to make sure I had the right one and it won't work.  So, what now?  :-\

Harblar

Ok...  So here is the log from immediately after installing the docker and going through the initial setup process.  First thing I did was go to the help page, paste my key into the appropriate field, and hit save.

No change. I even tried a restart to see if it would update and nothing.

Also made sure to shut down my windows server in case that was causing an issue. no change there either.

I would say it's connecting to the internet just fine. It had no problem finding my online details via the emby connect phase of the setup.  Any other suggestions or tweaks to try? 

(edit): Then again... I just tried to grab some plugins and it won't load up any of the available plugins.  I also have two error messages in the notifications:  

"Check for plugin updates failed.

26 minutes ago
Error: SendFailure (Error writing headers)"

That's probably related... if I had to guess. lol

Log (1).txt

Edited by Harblar

ok, since you're running a beta build, there are some minor issues in the beta relating to validation that doesn't affect everyone, but unfortunately does affect you so you'll just need to wait for subsequent beta builds and that should clear it up i would think.

Harblar

Yeah... that sounds like my luck. lol

I guess I'll just get my libraries setup and repopulated in the meantime. Hopefully the next build fixes it for me. (Thankfully there's usually a new build every couple days or so!)  Any other settings I could tweak on my end that might possibly help?