Roku Plays Music from Emby Playlist but Only Displays First Song Info

Sam865
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Sam865

I created a music playlist on the Emby Server and it plays all the songs correctly on my Roku 3. However, after the first song finishes playing and the next song begins to play, the information (metadata) for the first song continues to be displayed. The first song information is displayed through the entire playlist (until the Roku screensaver comes on). Is there an easy fix to make the Roku display info for the song that is currently playing?

Are you playing them remotely to the roku using the server? If so, I cant say as I dont use this method.

..or..

Playing them directly from the roku client using the playlist row? This is how I am doing it in the screenshot below.

d5ec17001efab4d2c0736930b0655a2f.jpg

The images/songinfo shows the one you are "hovering" the cursor on in the list. It is not the presently playing song. The presently playing song has the "play arrow" next to it. Maybe this should be the other way around?

You can also press *, and choose the now playing option. That will show the screen below.

acde3abdcf78f1571d90bf5ebed8ac64.jpg

This is the presently playing song when viewed from the now playing screen.

Edited by speechles

Sam865

Thanks for taking the time to reply and even including screen shots!

I'm playing directly from the Roku client using the playlist line. What I see is similar to the first image you show. The album cover, song (Teardrop in your case), and artist information are displayed on the right, but the information shown is NOT for the currently playing song (which appears to be Butterfly Caught in your case).

When I press * on the Roku remote I also see what you show in the second image – the correct metadata for the Now Playing song. However, if I remain on the Now Playing screen, as soon as the song ends, Roku advances to the next song. The information for the next song flashes briefly and then the screen reverts to the original Playlist screen (similar to the one shown in your first image).

Regarding your comment (The images/songinfo shows the one you are "hovering" the cursor on in the list. It is not the presently playing song. The presently playing song has the "play arrow" next to it. Maybe this should be the other way around?), I agree, to some extent, Ideally, the song with the play arrow next to it should be playing and the visual information on the right should match the song that is playing. When I start the playlist playing and then walk around the room, I should not have to pick up the Roku remote and manually intervene for each new song to update the information.

The way the software behaves now, if the playlist is long, the currently playing song can actually disappear from the screen because the metadata from the first song on the list continues to display. I hope someone can find a fix for this. (Even fixing the Now Playing screen so that it advances without reverting back to the Playlist screen would be an acceptable solution.)

• Solution

@@Sam865

The audio player when invoked in the music screen is the problem. So start the music you want (a playlist, album, etc), then play a song from it. Now while it plays exit the music screen and navigate back to the home screen. The music stops. This is okay.

3d079814069fea37d6723d4f0a967af1.jpg

At the bottom of the homscreen is now an option, "now playing" (image above). Choose this, and you will arrive at the screen below. Sometimes the "now playing" doesnt appear. This is okay, press * on the homescreen and choose now playing. This will get you to the same screen and same abilities.

8c3df5587348d297297edc91bfdcef38.jpg

Now you can stay on the now playing screen and change songs with this method. This allows exactly what you wanted. You can also press back at this point and browse your library while music plays in the background too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@Luke

The official app has this functionality already. This is how I can make use of it. :)

I couldnt force the music screen to allow this feature directly since it has to update the play indicator which will return back to the music screen from the now playing. It is when attaching the audio player to the home screen instead of the music screen that allows this. Since there is no play indicator to advance. Now you can go to now playing and next/prev and keep that screen.

Is this what you meant?

Edited by speechles

Thanks speechles! Although it's a little convoluted to go through the navigation you described, it DOES work, and I consider the problem fixed. (I would never have discovered this on my own.)

Now my only "gripe" is that the Roku screensaver comes on and hides everything after the first couple of songs. I haven't explored the Roku App to confirm, but surely it has an option for screen-saver preferences somewhere. That's obviously something Emby is not responsible for.

Yeah, the screen saver setting cant be set in the emby app. Because this is a system registry setting, the emby app can read it, but cannot write it. Otherwise a malicious app (think those silly screen saver apps) could set your system settings however it wanted. You would need to use the roku system menu, and change the behavior of the screen saver in this way. This is honestly the only way. Those screen saver apps can change the screen savers looks, but not the behavior defined in the roku system settings. All apps have this limitation.