Live TV guide/channel appearance

socalredneck

socalredneck

Does anyone have a time frame for when the Roku Live TV guide & channel appearance will look more like the web version?  No offense, but it is hard to use and looks old fashion or boxee.

socalredneck

Sorry for my ignorance, but is the Roku app based on Emby Theater?  I've never used Emby Theater, so I don't know what it looks like.  I only use Roku, web, and android app from my Emby server.

Is there a projected time frame for Emby Theater?

Thanks.

Vidman

Sorry for my ignorance, but is the Roku app based on Emby Theater? I've never used Emby Theater, so I don't know what it looks like. I only use Roku, web, and android app from my Emby server.

Is there a projected time frame for Emby Theater?

Thanks.

Happy2play mentioned emby theatre because that is where all the devs attention is ATM, once it is released the devs will have more time to focus on other apps... Such as the roku app
  • Like 1

socalredneck

That makes since, thank you Vidman.

I love my Roku's & Emby, just would love to have the tv guide look more up to date.

mjktg99

I dont even use the guide because it is so slow to load and cumbersome and I only have 27 Channels.  I just scroll through the Channel list to so whats on.  I am definietly looking forward to an updated Roku app based on the new OS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
tacticalcity

While on the one hand I would LOVE it if the Roku version looked like the Emby Theater App, on the other hand I would be very worried this would slow things down to much. I have a pretty fast internet connection, but with the MASSIVE amount of media I have there is a danger that if you make the interface too fancy it will bog it down and never load. I stopped using Plex for this reason. It took 1000 times longer to load than the Emby app on Roku. Specifically because the GUI was just too graphics heavy and tries to do too much. 

Emby is glitchy enough as it is...though getting better every day. Right now my main issue is that I often have to go into it, and then exit out and go back in before my media will actually load. Again, I am serving up a MASSIVE amount of content. 

But in recent weeks movie files that were causing it to crash the moment you clicked play no longer cause it to crash. I am assuming that had something to do with one of the many server updates I applied. 

So while yes, the Roku app is a little ugly. It sure loads faster than Plex. And I would hate to give up that speed just for looks. 

Edited by tacticalcity

• 3 months later...
markedman1132

I'm considering changing from Plex to Emby to get the live TV, Guide and DVR functionality. I have a PlexPass and an Emby Premiere account and run the backend on the same server (to try to make sure I am comparing similar levels of features) . I don't want to offend any developers, but I do have a couple of observations.

I like everything I see from Emby except for the look and function of the Roku client. We have 5 Roku's in the house and that is what everyone uses. The interface of the Roku client looks very dated. Plex was the same way until about a year ago, but the new plex client really looks good on the Roku. But my real issue with the Roku client is that the Guide does not display properly (its fine in the web version and the new Emby Theater). The guide does not go to the current time when you open it and many of the entries are missing. It's basically non-functional. I even tried uploading the latest developer version and it has the same issue.

I'm using NextPVR and Schedules Direct and the Guide is fine in the other clients. This issue only shows up in the Roku Client. 

While I can wait for a redesign of the Roku Client, I really can't use it much if the Guide doesn't work.  Any suggestions?

Edited by markedman1132

I agree, the current design for roku uses the older UI. There is emby blue neon night too for roku. This adds features but is still using the older UI too. There is a much more powerful UI possible with the firmware 7.x update, we just are not there yet. The blue neon app was made to "fill the gap" until a true OS7 app appears. Think of it, sort of, like an rarflix for emby.

Now as for the sorting and liveTV issues, this is where I cant contribute code. I dont have livetv equipment. But perhaps @@Luke has some free time he could donate to fixing your issue with the sorting and missing channels? The roku audience hasnt had attention in this area. Ive focused on every other area with the blue neon app but livetv.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

markedman1132

Thanks for the quick response. I did see a post of someone else having the same problem with the guide but the suggestion of trying the developer beta did not make any difference. I will keep an eye out for updated builds.

I will say the Emby Theater is very nice. Kudos to the folks who designed/developed it and I hope they can bring that same eye to detail to the Roku app.

Thanks again

• 11 months later...
bardmaster

can somebody kindly post a screenshot of how the TV grid looks in the new Roku beta app?  If it resembles the one in the web version, I would be interested in pursuing the premiere option.

bardmaster

Thanks!  I just signed up for Premiere, however I don't have the logos.  I know that my HDHomeRun Prime passes these as I set up a Plex channel which gets these.  Sorry for sounding like a noob but how do you integrate?  Please tell me I don't also need a subscription to Channel Direct - I am capturing the guide via xmltv.

philorus

I just want to state that the beta with the guide appearance and all the other goodies is utterly AWESOME!  Thank you very much!!  Because of the work you're doing, I am finally able to let my Windows Media Center rest in peace!  :D 

bardmaster

The channel logos are showing up now even using XMLTV.  I tried the Channel Direct for a bit but it looks like XMLTV now has all the features for free (for those adventurous enough to set it up).

• 3 months later...

about to get a HDHomerun Premier  and think I am finally about to swap to Emby for good. Plex has LiveTV for only a small amount of channels where as seems Emby will take full advantage of the HDHomerun. looks like you guys have came along way as was a Premier customer of your two times last year.. just wasn't ready for me at that time but think will be making the  swap for good soon from Plex!