Nvidia Shield audio OOS and Issues after pause

rshack

I don't have access to my server right now, but would be happy to provide logs as I'm sure that's what I'll need to do; figured I'd just post this now in case this is a known issue with a known fix.

Namely, I've noticed that when pausing movies, upon resuming the audio has strange artifacts (hard to explain, but basically it sounds like crap and I feel like my ear-drums are going to blow out due to the loud hi-pitched noises coming from my speakers). To fix I have to stop and resume playback.

I've also noticed that when playing a larger file, the audio will often become out of sync every 15 minutes or so – then I need to stop playback and resume to fix.

I currently have the latest update for the shield (5.1.1 I beleive), and am using the emby server on FreeNAS 9.3 with an i3 3750 and 16GB of ram. 

I don't think logs will be of much use as both of these sound like issues inside VLC (the player we are using).

I don't seem to experience these issues but I have seen a couple of reports from people who do.

I don't think logs will be of much use as both of these sound like issues inside VLC (the player we are using).

I don't seem to experience these issues but I have seen a couple of reports from people who do.

Should I try disabling the VLC internal player?

Pirlo1966

I don't have access to my server right now, but would be happy to provide logs as I'm sure that's what I'll need to do; figured I'd just post this now in case this is a known issue with a known fix.

Namely, I've noticed that when pausing movies, upon resuming the audio has strange artifacts (hard to explain, but basically it sounds like crap and I feel like my ear-drums are going to blow out due to the loud hi-pitched noises coming from my speakers). To fix I have to stop and resume playback.

I've also noticed that when playing a larger file, the audio will often become out of sync every 15 minutes or so – then I need to stop playback and resume to fix.

I currently have the latest update for the shield (5.1.1 I beleive), and am using the emby server on FreeNAS 9.3 with an i3 3750 and 16GB of ram. 

Yes, same here. Together with the DD 5.1 to stereo issue and the constant need to change audio settings from compatible to direct and back it's pretty annoying. I guess we will have to be patient ...

Should I try disabling the VLC internal player?

I imagine that will fix the problem but it will cause a lot more transcoding - depending on the format of your items.

Disabling VLC did fix the issue, for the most part. After pausing, however, there was still sound artifacts – but they cleared up within a few seconds of play. This was not the case when VLC was used. The sound artifacts would continue until playback was completely stopped.

The OOS audio was no longer present though, which is good. Since the audio was still messed up even with VLC disabled, could it be an issue with the server? Or do you think it's related to the Android app?

P.S. I'm a CS grad and know Java pretty well, if there is some part if this I could help on let me know. I was looking at the source for the Android TV app and not sure where to dive in. I didn't see this marked as an issue on the repo.

It sounds like the artifacts issue is deep within the environment if you saw it with both VLC and the native player (actually, it would be Exo).  In any case, it is somewhere below the app level.

The one thing the app does do to try and combat out of sync issues after pausing is it re-sets the audio stream inside VLC whenever you pause and re-start.  This seems to keep it from happening in most instances.  This is all managed inside the VideoManager class (which abstracts interactions with the different video players).