Kodi keeps telling me it's enabling play from HTTP

hifiaudio2
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

hifiaudio2

I changed the hard drives on my server that hold my movie and tv files, and now Kodi 15.2 running Emby for Kodi beta .61 on my Nvidia Shield won't play over SMB. It keeps automatically enabling HTTP when I play a Tv show... What could I have changed inadvertently changed when I pointed Emby to all the new shares?

hifiaudio2

I was going to say that I do have path substitution enabled, but you just made me realize that with the change, I left an incorrect path for everything except movies. I changed to the new drive letters, but didn't update the network path. When I can change it I will update if it fixed it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Angelblue05

@@hifiaudio2

Can you repeat the test? This time uncheck the play from http option first, then try to play something. Then post that log. Thanks.

Do you need network credentials to have Kodi access your shares? Did you set that up? Let me know, since there were changes to that aspect (we moved the credentials to passwords.xml).

hifiaudio2

Well my server is running Windows 2012 essentials, which sets itself up as the domain controller for AD.  So I run a domain.  I think the network creds are necessary because of that.  That probably causes issues and I should look to change my Emby server (also runs Crashplan and HDHR dvr server as well)  to Win 8 pro or Win 10.

I will uncheck that and run again.  I did just have a brand new never before seen issue just this moment.  I was watching Justified, the episode ended, and I went to stat another one.  Wont play.  Restarted Kodi, rebooted the Shield,  updated and restarted EMBY server,  still wont play.  Waiting on that log to hit my inbox now.  Dont know why its taking so long. 

Also -- what is the difference in Native (direct path)  and "addon"  playback modes in the Emby for Kodi addon settings?

edit -  here we go,  told it to upload logs again and it worked..

http://xbmclogs.com/ptmjdnnjw

I see various permission denied errors.  Wonder why it would let me finish a show and then not play the next show in the same directory?  Or any other show file now.... 

Edited by hifiaudio2

Angelblue05

Ok, do try to enter the network credentials in the add-on. The server name would be NANOXIA so Kodi can associate the network credentials to the path. Let me know if this helps. I am not certain why it would allow one but not the other, especially if they are in the same directory.

hifiaudio2

Ah - -  to clarify... it allowed it to play,  then when it ended,  it didnt allow the next show, , nor the show that just ended to play anymore.  

Edited by hifiaudio2

Angelblue05

Did you restart Kodi after adding the credentials? Hm. Are you using the masterprofile, or using an additional kodi profile? Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

hifiaudio2

I just did.  I thought it was going to play.. it said please wait this time,  and then actually changed the icon to a checkmark by the episode, but nothing started.  

Here is the new log.

http://xbmclogs.com/pn42xgi6w

masterprofile as far as i know... the "parents"  profile is what I always use and I think it defaults to

there is also a kids profile, but I dont log into Kodi with that.  the kids just have a separate kids movies / kids tv  folder

Edited by hifiaudio2

Angelblue05

Ok, do me a favor. It looks like your paths in database got corrupted somehow. Did you mess with the playback mode setting (I see a combination of plugin and direct paths)? Make sure the setting is the one you want, then reset your library and let your content resync. Hopefully this will fix the issue (It would certainly explain the odd behavior).

hifiaudio2

ill check that.  is there more than one place to make that setting?   what is the difference in "addon" vs direct paths?

hifiaudio2

And yep, resetting the dB now makes it play.    

..totally aside, but why does it always start the show or movie paused?  is that a setting?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

No? Enable Kodi debug for this. Just repeat the process and post the log. Thanks.

ill check that.  is there more than one place to make that setting?   what is the difference in "addon" vs direct paths?

The difference is addon - plugin paths allows us control over what happens before playback. Basically it's a url to our add-on, and Kodi asks the add-on the file to play. This allows us to add emby cinema mode, you can go from direct play to direct stream to transcoding. Playback mode: Native is just the normal paths we insert into the database (smb://). Since Kodi knows the path, the add-on is not involved in what happens at playback. It's basically using Kodi (but still having metadata sync to your server). 

Edited by Angelblue05

hifiaudio2

ah ok... and cinema mode is for things like trailers, etc?  (i dont use those)... so perhaps direct paths is what I should do.

Angelblue05

Yeah, if you don't use them. If you don't use wonky formats (h265 and apparently hevc), direct paths will give you the Kodi experience, while still maintaining your library in sync with your server.

Edited by Angelblue05

hifiaudio2

OK cool.  I suppose H265 will be coming someday.. by then I assume there will be support for it direct as well. 

Thanks a ton for all your help!!!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah, if you go thru the initial setup, I've added a prompt that explains what native playback mode means (no emby cinema mode, direct streaming or transcode ability). No problem :)

Edited by Angelblue05