Memory Hog/Leaks

ronvp

log.txt

I have noticed that the memory consumption of EMBY server can get quite large.. Right now on 3.0.5781.3,After about 24hrs of uptime I average around 275 MB. This makes it the single largest memory consumer I have on my home server (Windows 10).

After a restart, memory use is about 87 MB. Then over the coarse of about 24 hours it climbs to 275 and then more use every day. This time frame, signaled that it may have to do with the different tasks.

So I started playing with running task manually and see how this effect memory use. The refresh people task  and Scan Media library task only release part of their memory every time they run causing cumulative memory hogging. For my machine, this keeps going up until it reaches about 325 MB.

Clearly, there is a memory issue associated with certain tasks. Both these tasks use CoverArt so it may be that, but I have not tried to run them without CoverArt.

I also noticed that the first time if I run the web client and browse my movies there is about 80 MB memory added to Emby Server and then not released.

IT may al be just caches filling up, but the memory efficiency of EMBY is not optimal.

I also run the Plex server and by comparison it only uses around 5 mb when running in the back ground and 20 MB when apps or its web client are in use. With exactly the same libraries attached..

Edited by ronvp

Happy2Play

How about a server log?  But my servers run between 500-700MB which has been that way from the beginning.  Plugins play a big factor in memory usage also.

Ian-Highlander

Heh, Emby's memory usage with my library sits between 350MB when idling overnight up to between 650MB and 1GB at times.  :lol:

How about a server log?  But my servers run between 500-700MB which has been that way from the beginning.  Plugins play a big factor in memory usage also.

Log added to the first post.

No matter how we slice it, Emby is a memory hog, and more importantly, it keeps using more the longer it runs. Maybe there is some double caching going on, or maybe we need to run a automatic task that cleans up the memory cache while idle (Plex has a similar feature)..

MSattler

Log added to the first post.

No matter how we slice it, Emby is a memory hog, and more importantly, it keeps using more the longer it runs. Maybe there is some double caching going on, or maybe we need to run a automatic task that cleans up the memory cache while idle (Plex has a similar feature)..

It may help to add how large your library is.  I have 1200 movies and about 75 Series, and I usually am between 600-850MB of memory.  Not a huge deal as I am running a VM with 12GB of memory for Emby alone.

It may help to add how large your library is.  I have 1200 movies and about 75 Series, and I usually am between 600-850MB of memory.  Not a huge deal as I am running a VM with 12GB of memory for Emby alone.

Size does matter. But compare is to competitor systems. It is not any faster or richer in graphics, it just uses huge amounts of resources. If there were a clear benefit then that would be alright, but clearly, the competition is at least as fast with a fraction of the resource use.. More concerning is that memory use goes up as some tasks are run.. I think there is a technical issue that needs to be resolved..

JeremyFr79

It's to be expected in my eyes with any system dealing with large databases.  Hell my server on average at IDLE uses around 750mb of memory.  But I have a fairly large collection.  Metadata and images number in the 100's of thousands so using all of that in a DB what does one expect.  Personally I wish that they would develop Emby as a 64 bit application so it could use more memory.  I'd personally like to see it cache everything into memory images/metadata etc so that it's that much faster serving that data to clients then having to rely on drives for the work.  But then again I'm running it on a system with 32 cores/64 threads and 128GB of memory currently that's dedicated to Emby and nothing else.

• Like 1

Mine sits at 300-400, system is always on 24/7, large collection - but I believe the op is referring to emby resources vs plex resources - and hence the size does not matter - if he is using both, then it is a Plex vs Emby ram usage thing (assuming he has the same collection in both that is).  Personally, I have heaps of memory to spare and its not a worry.  My plex comparrison is no longer there as Plex runs on my NAS (Netgear Readynas) - and is ONLY used by the family in case Emby breaks for some reason and I am not there to fix it.  I will be looking forward for an Emby port for my NAS in the future.

This is not about boasting who has the largest collection or the best rig.. It is about Emby behaving well with others and being friendlier with resources.. Clearly, compared to others running the same library Emby easily uses 20x the memory for the same performance (if anything, the others are  even a little more responsive).

I am  big Emby fan and have been for years. But as I have other things running on my server and also do a lot of other tasks on my sever, it needs to coexist in the eco system

Edited by ronvp

• 3 weeks later...

Version 3.0.5781.6 gives a massive improvement. Memory usage is down to about 175mb (isch), loading pages in edge is more responsive. Clients are more responsive..

MSattler

Version 3.0.5781.6 gives a massive improvement. Memory usage is down to about 175mb (isch), loading pages in edge is more responsive. Clients are more responsive..

Hmmm right now I'm down from about 750Mb normally while idle to 620Mb.