multiple select player

wayneward

wayneward

im not sure if this is possible yet? but is there a way i can play music on the main machine and keep it playing on the main and select it to stream to other rooms the same song at the same time so it would play right through the house the same song to multiple devices :)

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

No, that's not possible in this product and not likely to happen.  It's technically very challenging to multicast audio so it hits all the devices in the house without dropped packets and when you add in the different audio processing times for each playback device it could be impossible to sync it all up.  Being very slightly out of sync would sound terrible.

What you need is a centralized receiver hooked up to speakers in multiple rooms that allows you to send the same or different audio signals to each zone.  My receiver, not bought for this mind you, can do two zones and I'm sure there are more complex setups out there that process more zones.  I can send audio to one or both sets of speakers as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Maximus Naxsus

I was hoping for something like this too.. Sort of a DLNA super blast.. what ever you watching or listening.. It's everywhere, on all your devices..

Would be awesome!

wayneward

i can see it being not in sync but if i was to walk upstairs to another room i wouldnt hear the out of sync or see so it would be fine if its possible it would be worth trying it out if its possible :)

One of the biggest issues here is the fact that media players pull their media streams - they don't have them pushed to them.

Still it is a neat idea and something we'd like to be able to do someday in at least a limited fashion.  Emphasis on the word 'someday'... ;)

• 3 months later...
Carneth

@@ebr

thanks for directing me to this topic... Apologies for the duplicate, my search for "zones" or "groups" didn't return what I was looking for heh.. Should have searched "multicast".

Anyway, could this work - perhaps a little crudely - in a similar way to how the iOS remote control used to work.. Essentially sending some kind of play media instruction to each player in a given group.. and to ensure timing is reasonably well synced, you could tell them all to play at a specific time.. Datetime.Now.AddSeconds(5000) .. 

Obviously, this would rely on all clocks being sync'd..  but these days, most clocks seem to be sync'd pretty well... 

Well, just a thought .. 

• 2 months later...
jamvids

Chromecast Audio is great, I have 4 of em, 1 is in my shed with barely a signal and still works well with multi room grouping even with HD audio.