Where do I post about an issue with Emby Connect?

leebo

Not Windows specific, AFAIK.

A couple of months ago, I wiped my server and installed everything from scratch. I had set up Emby Connect previously, and successfully connected from outside of my home network. However, last night I attempted to connect for the first time since wiping the server, and it gives an error that it is unable to connect.

I am using the Emby app for Android to connect. I have tried with both my cell and WiFi tablet. Both running Android 5.1. I cleared the app cache as well as the data.

Now, I usually run a VPN on my server, but I disconnected from it and exited the VPN connection app. I checked that my IP was open by going to whatsmyip.com.

I can connect to Emby Connect just fine, and my server shows up. Yet when I click on it I get the error message. I even logged directly into the server from home and reconnected it with the site (got the email with the link, confirmed my server was registered, etc).

I'm out of ideas at this point.

Vidman

What's "the error message"?

Can you access your server from the android app on cell if you manually enter the external ip displayed in the server details page?

Edited by Vidman

Connection Failure. Unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

The server shows up (as the server to connect to), but I can't connect to it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Vidman

Can you access your server from the android app on cell if you manually enter the external ip displayed in the server details page?

Describe your steps in detail please Edited by Vidman

Sorry Luke, I assumed it was apparent that the Emby server was running. Guess you can't assume anything in a forum.

Yes, it's running. And yes, I can connect if I'm at home and connected by WiFi. But that troubleshooting page you linked only details troubleshooting steps for INTERNAL connections, i.e.connecting from within your home network. It connects instantly that way.

Although the web page MENTIONS external connections, it does not give any advice or info on troubleshooting it.As I said, it worked b4 I wiped my HDD and reinstalled the OS (WHS 2011).

Yes i still have more to fill in about external connections, which is going to cover port forwarding and troubleshooting using canyouseeme

Describe your steps in detail please

I CAN access the server. I can NOT access any user accounts, therefore I cannot access any of my media (maybe I didn't expressly say that before).

What I mean is, when I connect using Emby Connect, my server name shows up. I assume this is because I'm accessing the Emby Connect web site and my server is registered there. It isn't actually connecting to my server.

When I click on my server name, it attempts to connect, but always fails.

Your server shows up with Emby Connect because it was able to successfully ping our admin server. Then your device is unable to reach your server using the address that was reported to Emby Connect. So it is entirely an issue of connectivity.

Happy2Play

Can you connect to your server with your WAN/remote access address listed in the dashboard?

Vidman

Can you connect to your server with your WAN/remote access address listed in the dashboard?

Man, that is exactly what I've been trying to ask/find out, see posts 2 and 4 Edited by Vidman

Man, that is exactly what I've been trying to ask/find out, see posts 2 and 4

If you are asking "can you connect without using Emby connect", the answer is no.

I can't connect directly using my servers actual IP address, nor with Emby Connect.

Vidman

So the issue is not with emby connect, you have a networking issue check that port 8096 is correctly ported to your servers ip address and that your firewall is allowing traffic through that port

Edited by Vidman

I think I got it working again. Thank you Vidman and Luke.

I checked my router and attempted to forward ports 8096 and 8920 for my server. Strange that those ports did not appear to be opened, since this worked b4, and reinstalling my OS and Emby server did not involve my router in any way. I also checked Windows firewall and although Media Browser is in there twice, one of them was not set to allow outside requests. But even after all that I still could not connect.

Well, after something like 20 minutes I tried again and it worked. I then called my brother who lives in another town and had him try through a web browser. That worked too.

So I reconnected my VPN, and tomorrow I will disconnect and see if I can still connect to Emby from outside my home network.

Are there not enough people with issues connecting from outside their home networks to have a dedicated forum? There should at least be a sticky with Luke's link.

Thanks again. Hopefully this issue is behind me.