Live TV Wont Play

Erik

Emby Version 1.0.3

I had live TV working fine previously on the initial IOS app release. I attempted to use it today and it loads the playing screen, but is doesnt play video or audio, just shows a single still frame of the video with the big play button in the middle which doesnt do anything when pressed.

Also, it locks the another tuner each time I attempt a new playback and wont release it untill i restart emby server.

Logs attached (1 server log and 2 transcode attempts, 1 HD and 1 SD).

Thanks

Edited by Erik
  • Like 1

Deihmos

This happens to be very often. You should also kill the ffmpeg process because the channel continues to transcode which is why the tuner is locked. Luckily I barely ever look at live TV so I removed it. 

Edited by Deihmos

I will check to see if that's what isn't relasing the tuner. But it is odd that ffmpeg is actively transcoding but the iOS device has nothing actually playing.

@@Luke

When you have a second can you see if anything is wrong in the logs so I know if it's on my end or the app. I can play directly from the Hdhomerun device to the instatv pro app but not through he Emby app or Chrome for iOS.

Thanks.

transcode log looks fine so right now i'm not sure. when transcoding is required, live tv can take a little while to start so please make sure you're not just falling into the trap of thinking it's not working.

Thanks @@Luke

I have tried it on several iPhone and iPads with the same result (and I'm letting it load for 3-4 minutes). And everytime the server must be restarted to free up the tuner which shows locked to the server IP even after closing the video and the app, even a refresh of the tuner through the Emby manage server section can't free it up.

Same story here...

No live TV on IOS APP (IPAD 3 and Iphone 6)

Android works great thu on cheap tablets and old phone

I use dvblink - the have an APP for IOS and is working with the Live TV that Emby IOS app wont play

another thing i notis is, that using Emby on IOS, the Live TV works when using it on Chromecast but NOT on the IOS device

This is not to hijack your thread Erik :)

Im just trying to fill out more info

I just love Emby - you guys doing a wonderfull job thx alot

moviefan

Not sure if this adds to the discussion but I have been unable to stream to anything other than Roku for a while now.  Still planning to create a big thread with all of the details I've collected so hopefully someone can debug.  But yah, IOS app doesn't play for me and it's not an issue of impatience.  It will either do exactly what this thread said and just show a play button or sometimes even start playing and then freeze shortly thereafter.

Not sure if this is helpful, but using the WMC Plugin seems to be a tiny bit more stable than using the Live TV functionality built in to Emby Server.  When I use WMC Plugin, I can go a day or so without any problems, no freezing, it will release the tuners, etc.  But when I switch to the Live TV within Emby Server it never works, not for a second.  And then I have to restart everything, including my HDHR Prime unit.  I've never been able to get the live tv within Emby Server to work and I wish so badly that it would work so I can get rid of WMC.

This may or may not be helpful, but I'll post it anyway.  Live TV seems to sit at a still frame for me without ever playing as well.  The way I get it to work is by closing the Emby app (simply by hitting the home button) and then going back into the Emby app and pressing the small play button down on the bottom bar.  This is the only way I can get live TV to start streaming.  After it starts it seems to work flawlessly.

Edited by tigrao

moviefan

Not sure if this is helpful, but using the WMC Plugin seems to be a tiny bit more stable than using the Live TV functionality built in to Emby Server.  When I use WMC Plugin, I can go a day or so without any problems, no freezing, it will release the tuners, etc.  But when I switch to the Live TV within Emby Server it never works, not for a second.  And then I have to restart everything, including my HDHR Prime unit.  I've never been able to get the live tv within Emby Server to work and I wish so badly that it would work so I can get rid of WMC.

@@jkanoy Just to clarify, you are referring to ServerWMC plugin?

This is what I've had success with in the past.  Maybe I need to go back.

Edited by moviefan

@@jkanoy Just to clarify, you are referring to ServerWMC plugin?

This is what I've had success with in the past.  Maybe I need to go back.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. But you may not need it for long. The beta version is working great without the plugin.