Cover Art plugin is causing Web Client to crash, and server to lag.

digitalirony

digitalirony

Hello,

I discovered that after I installed the coverart plugin, while browsing around, the client was crashing(web). It also seemed to affect the server to, as for a while nothing would work, then it would become responsive again. If I restart the server it helps make it responsive faster.

To reproduce the issue, I install the coverart plugin, and browse to my movies->collections page. It loads a single cover image, then hangs. I can't go to any other page or even the settings without restarting emby, or just waiting for a while. The images will never load.

After I uninstall the plugin, it loads quickly.

I checked in /var/lib/emby-server/logs/server-XXXXXX.txt and saw the GET requests and such,(basically http access logs), but never saw an error when tailing and trying to reproduce the issue.

In the client, in web console, I see some failed to load xhr resources, but thats about it. 

EDIT: EMBY version: Version 3.0.5781.3

coverart version: 4.0.9.2 

And I did try re-installing the plugin with same effect.

Edited by digitalirony
  • Like 1

It looks like you are on Linux so my guess is you are probably missing some component CA depends on like ImageMagik.

We'd need to see a log to go beyond a guess.

digitalirony

Tell me what you want to see. I will try and get it. 

I had enabled Debug logging and reproduced the issue while tailing the logs. But It didn't say anything. It just hangs.

Is there not some way to have the plugin do its own dependency checking then output errors to the logs?

digitalirony
And I do have imagemagick installed.

root@magrathea:~# apt-get install imagemagick

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

imagemagick is already the newest version.

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

root@magrathea:~#

digitalirony

Somehow this part got cut off:

2015-11-25 10:19:32.6483 Debug - CoverArt: CoverArt using frame type H264 from image set MetroCaseCDs for Blade Collection [MB Auto Set]
2015-11-25 10:20:23.2552 Error - HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: An exception has occurred while receiving a message.. Exception.Message: The header part of a frame cannot be read from the data source.
2015-11-25 10:20:23.3206 Debug - SessionManager: Disposing session controller WebSocketController

digitalirony

model name      : Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

root@magrathea:/var/lib/emby-server/logs# cat /proc/cpuinfo  | grep -c processor

root@magrathea:/var/lib/emby-server/logs# free -m

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:         14065      13829        235        111         18      11211

-/+ buffers/cache:       2599      11465

Swap:        30517        181      30336

root@magrathea:/var/lib/emby-server/logs#

/dev/sda3        15T  6.6T  6.8T  50% /data

That's the complete log?

I don't see any problems there.  Are you sure it isn't your browser hanging up somehow? Have you tried clearing its cache or force-refreshing?

You could also try deleting the image cache in the server folder in case somehow it is some sort of corruption in there.

digitalirony

Yes that is the complete log. I had mentioned I didn't see any errors in there. I wasn't lying o.0. I know in troubleshooting you should always make sure the person(me isn't lying or doing something wrong), but now you see what I see....weird huh?

I tried doing it from two browsers, both chrome and firefox. Happens in both. 

I tried clearing the cache, didn't work.

I deleted the whole /var/lib/emby-server folder, and reinstalled from scratch, still didn't help.

If I remove the coverarts plugin, everything runs just fine. I mean except you know, without the coverarts stuff. 

And that log you see, is even in debug mode. 

How about any other environmental factors that may be at play like anti-malware or any other such thing.  I have never seen this reported so it almost has to be something fairly unique. about the environment.

Luke - any ideas...?

digitalirony

The server is a brand new debian 8 machine made just for this. This is the 2nd server(first one died...RAID 0[don't judge backup is expensive]). 

digitalirony

Yeah, from reading your post, it is the exact same issue I think. Does the issue 'go away' if you disable the cover art plugin and restart the emby service?

sbrindley

I'm having a similar issue as well, when I have the "cover art" plugin and the "auto box sets" installed where when going into the collections tab and trying to click into a collection it hangs and Emby completely stops responding.  I manually restart the server and it comes back fine, but performing the same steps of course do the same thing.  When I remove "cover art" all functions correctly.  This is for the web interface and the server is running on Windows 10

Edited by sbrindley

ursusltd

Yeah, from reading your post, it is the exact same issue I think. Does the issue 'go away' if you disable the cover art plugin and restart the emby service?

Yes!

Remove the cover art plugin and all is well...

You guys please see if you can figure out what you have in common in terms of environment, configuration or other software installed (like anti-virus or anything else that runs all the time).  Thx.

ursusltd

You guys please see if you can figure out what you have in common in terms of environment, configuration or other software installed (like anti-virus or anything else that runs all the time).  Thx.

I am running Windows 8.1 with Avira anti-virus but same results with anti-virus disabled. Also no difference when Windows firewall disabled.

Not sure what else we might have in commonbeing Windows vs Linux? Any suggestions or a template of info required to compare?

ursusltd

I have just upgraded to server Version 3.0.5781.4 and this seems to now work, if a little slow in screen drawing.

Only been running a few minutes so will keep an eye on it. 

sbrindley

I've stopped any third party services in windows running that I can think of, stopped VIPRE AV and double checked to make sure Windows Firewall wasn't enabled, killed anything running in the taskbar as well.  I'm running version 3.0.5781.4 of Emby and still experiencing the same issues with Cover Art.  I've also tried deleting and refreshing all .xml data as well.

Also, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Edited by sbrindley