Can't download app on Samsung BD-F5900

888Jay

Samsung Blu-ray BD-F5900

I try to download the app and it hangs at "Connecting..."

I deleted the develop account, reinstalled SmartHub, upgraded to v1021, then tried again. Still stuck at "Connecting..." whenever I try "Start App Sync" for both the stable release IP and beta IP. I have solid wired connection to all other apps like NetFlix with no issues.

Trying to sideload from USB, the Emby icon shows up on the screen but when I click on it I get "Failed to install."

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by 888Jay

After a half dozen hard resets I was finally able to get the download to start. However, it stops just before finishing (with either IP address) and I get a pop-up that says:

Fail to install. See http://www.samsungdforum.com/support/tvappssecurity for more information.

From the page:

When you see error Pop-up message

You might see below error pop-up message, while you are developing TV Apps.
"Failed to install. For more information, visit http://www.samsungdforum.com/Support/TVAppsSecurity"

This error message pop-up occurs when you deploy your applications which use APIs not listed in API Reference.
(You can find available APIs through the Samsung Smart TV Developer Documentation)
Or That means your TV Apps has unauthorized binary files in it.

In case you need to use not listed API/binary file , you should be a partner Level Developer.
After that, technical support' ll be provided.

Edited by 888Jay

Hi @@888Jay

Thanks for the detailed report. I did see a similar issue trying to install on a E-Series BD player but I confess I gave up sooner than you and didn't see that same error message.

It might be worth my checking the difference between TV APIs and BD players.

There are people successfully running the Emby client on their Samsung BD players and it might be worth us getting them to post their model and firmware versions here.

• Like 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The setup on this system is:

Streaming source > Samsung BD-F5900 > Denon AV-1913 > Samsung E6500 plasma screen (HDMI monitor out).

I can run the Emby app on the E6500 plasma but then I only have stereo sound on the tv speakers and the video processing isn't as good. Everything is pre-wired and recessed in a wall so I can't easily make changes.

Thanks, Jay

I do see the issue. My F-Series TV works great and audio return channel gives me surround sound through the receiver. But your set up should work. Unfortunately, because Samsung are not accepting submissions to the non-Tizan app store we will not have the benefit of their technical assurance that might pick up an issue like this. So I apologise if we don't manage to find a fix for you.

I hope that some BD player owners might chip in here...

FrostByte

I have it installed on my F series BD/HTS (F6500W using the latest firmware) with no issues.  The only security error I've seen in the past was when chessdragon forgot to add something during the compile, but that effected every one so not sure that is the issue.  Mine is connected to my TV through the ARC port though of course since it's a HTS also

paulsalter

I have an E series which it is working fine on, but I have not tried a fresh install for a while, will try removing and adding back to see if issues

Have you tried installing it in the last couple of days, smart hub was having some maintenance done on it on the 25th (not sure if that was for everyone or just Europe)

I have an E series which it is working fine on, but I have not tried a fresh install for a while, will try removing and adding back to see if issues

Have you tried installing it in the last couple of days, smart hub was having some maintenance done on it on the 25th (not sure if that was for everyone or just Europe)

I tried on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th. On holiday right now but will try a few more hard resets and re-installs on Sunday.

EDIT Nov 29th: Tried resetting a number of times and still no joy. I think I'll see if I can put together a small HTPC out of spare parts and go that route instead.

Edited by 888Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I did a few rounds with Samsung support just for giggles. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you would like to know how to download the EMBY MEDIA app on your Blu-ray player model: BD-F5900/ZA. We don't have access to any third party websites. As per the records the EMBY MEDIA app is not compatible with your player. So, you will not be able to access the app on your player. Please note that Samsung only support apps, but doesn't develop them. The apps are developed by the app developers. So, the availability of any app will completely depend on the app provider. It is up to EMBY MEDIA to create an application that would work with your player model. Currently, there is no estimated time of arrival on when the app will be released.

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you would like to know why the EMBY MEDIA app is not available on your player model: BD-F5900. I understand your concern as a consumer myself. However, I have thoroughly checked the information and I see that the EMBY MEDIA is not available for your player. Samsung does not have access to any app, it is up to EMBY MEDIA to create an application that would work with our Blu-ray players. I hope you understand.

Edited by 888Jay

FrostByte

My guess is that they are saying that because Emby is not on their Store.  I doubt they will support Emby otherwise

Yes, I'm sure you are right about that. What I was trying to find out from them was what api's are supported on my specific BD player. But I'm not sure they would have had that information in any case. I went to github and was able to install several other user apps via the 'develop' account and IP address method without any problems. I could also download and install these by USB – which I can't do with Emby. So I think my issue is most likely code related.

I started commenting out api's in the index.html file but I kept getting the "Fail to install" security error. Eventually, I discovered that if I deleted all of the javascript files in the /app/javascript/Gui directory, there was no security error and it would display "Loading" with a spinning circle. Of course, it wouldn't get past that with all of the js missing. So I started adding the files back in but certain combinations would throw the security error; others would not. Unfortunately, I couldn't narrow it down past that but there's something in that group of files that my system doesn't like.