A question to whom know more than me... Chromecast vs. Roku

shipkiller

shipkiller

I have a NAS box set up with a 3.5Ghz I3 (four core) CPU, 16Gigs of memory on a A97 chipset min-ATX board.

Arch Linux install.

A 256G SSD boot drive.

A 1G Western Digital drive with /var mounted

A 1G Western Digital drive with /home mounted

A 6TB raid 5 drive array for mass storage.

My network is a 1G backbone with a CISCO 3750 managed switch.  A dedicated IpFire firewall box. 

I have two WiFi transmitters.  A TP-Link 450Mb Access Point and a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 WiFi router.

The WRT is used only for communication to the Chromecast 2015 dongle since for some reason the TP-Link does not pass

multicast packets properly.

I have Emby set up and it runs rather well, although I do feel the Web interface is a bit sluggish.  This is on both Firefox and IE (Windows 8.1).

I just bought the Chromecast two or three weeks ago.  It seems to work well with Emby, via the Emby Android app, although there are some minor issues.

I do not have a Netflix, Hulu or any other pay service for streaming and do not see me getting this capability.  I very seldom watch normal TV.

Now my wife wants the capability to watch her movies that I added to the Emby server. 

With all that said, which would be more of a 'brain dead' way for my wife to watch what is on the server?  She has a hard time with technology.

Another Chromecast or a Roku????

Chromecast vs Roku are both great options it basically just boils down to whether you want an on-screen interface with a traditional physical remote (roku), or whether you want to use another device to browse your media first and send it to the tv (chromecast).

legallink

I would say for the "brain dead" way, it is the roku.  one device, one remote, no need to have your phone and an app available or link the two.  You just turn it on and press play, pause, etc.

I have a roku, and the WAF is great.  She's happier with the Roku emby setup than she was with the cable DVR box (and they make those relatively easy to use).

shipkiller

That was the type of information I was looking for.  Over the last two weeks, I have been searching various forums and still had not gleaned how the Roku interface was setup. 

I am leaning toward the Roku since the Emby App has some chromecast interface termination issues that require you to open the actual chromecast app to kill the cast.

This is fine for me, but not her... 

Thanks.

Deathsquirrel

I've always found the roku 2 I bought to play with too clunky, though it's certainly easy enough to use.  The UI was slooooow though I'm told that's greatly improved in newer models.

You might also consider an android TV device for an easy to use media playback box.  Either way, if the user isn't techy/into using their phone for everything, the chromecast would not be my pick.

legallink

Agreed with Deathquirrel, get a Roku 3 or better.

Also, the Roku interface is no where near as pretty (read: eye candy) as much as say the amazon firetv or the android boxes.  For me, the Roku as a lot of other content that we watch, so it makes more sense for me.

shipkiller

I forgot about the Android Boxes and  will have to do some research on those.   I will never have another Amazon branded product again... 

shipkiller

Wednesday, I picked up a Rodu Streaming stick.   Cheap to use for testing.      

I find that the Roku is MUCH easier to use than the Chromcast. 

You do not have to use the Emby app, which introduces other issues at.... times.   Just use the supplied remote and select Media server.... 

What I do not like is you must provide a credit card number to activate the Roku account.   That's just freaking wrong.

I think this is what I will be giving my wife for Xmis.  I may have to purchase a Roku 3 for myself.

blade005

Wednesday, I picked up a Rodu Streaming stick.   Cheap to use for testing.      

I find that the Roku is MUCH easier to use than the Chromcast. 

You do not have to use the Emby app, which introduces other issues at.... times.   Just use the supplied remote and select Media server.... 

What I do not like is you must provide a credit card number to activate the Roku account.   That's just freaking wrong.

I think this is what I will be giving my wife for Xmis.  I may have to purchase a Roku 3 for myself.

There is an option for skipping the Credit Card Information requirement.

https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc

During the account creation process using the link above there will be an option on the Credit Card Input page to select 'Skip, I'll Add Later' button and move on with the process.