Emby MC in Windows 10 - Success

Cheesegeezer

Ian-Highlander

I know this is a month old, hope you don't mind be jumping in here. But did you need to do anything to get MEC RTB to work?

I've just installed it on Win 10 - already had WMC ver 10 from MDL, and i get an error when trying to open MCE RTB.

56a6254957c89_Exception.png

Didn't have any issues like that at all. The demo of RTB has just expired and everythings set back to default again and all my channel logos have disappeared. I went to buy it the other night and there doesn't appear to be a purchase link on their website (possibly have to do it through the software, I need to check). But no, sorry, nothing special to get it working at all.

• Like 1

RobsterUK

Thanks for the fast reply :)

Thought it was a long shot, as you said it had installed easily.

I've been trying it on my work machine, so it doesn't matter too much I guess. I will try on Win 10 at home. Before letting it loose on my HTPC running Win 7.

Ian-Highlander

Licenced it fine this evening (through the software itself) and everything re-set up and working as before again, no issues with MCE RTB at all.

• 5 weeks later...
dejavux2

I've got everything working on my test rig.....  this is great!  Now that we have WMC in Windows 10, with Emby....can we please have more effort put into Emby Classic?  Apparently, a lot of people still use Emby Classic...  Thank you!

• Like 2

did anyone ever manage to get their Windows 10 PC to stream media to their XBOX 360?

Some how I think that streaming to Xbox 360 extenders in Windows 10 is somehow impossible due to RDP protocols :*(

• 3 weeks later...
Steverido

I have managed to get it running smoothly with V10.

Only issue I have noticed is when i start my PC from sleep mode and start Emby for WMC, although the server is running it will not connect to it. The only way to resolve it is to shutdown WMC and restart the server.

Has anyone else had this issue and is there a solution?

I understand that this is not really supported. :D

You are putting the machine to sleep with WMC running?

That has never worked reliably in any version of WMC.  There is a tool I can't remember the name of that will shut down WMC on sleep and bring it back up on wake.

Teddy

The tool name is "MCE Standy Tool" and works incredible fine with Windows 7, I don't know if it works with Windows 10.

I still think it's best to stay in Windows 7 if the machine is to be used as a HTPC.

Edited by Teddy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
axehandler

I am curious to if anyone has gotten Windows 10 wmc to work with a Ceton Tuner?

I have win 10 with both a ceton 4 eth and ceton 6 eth cards working (total 11 tuners if you count my hauppauge) 

Also got the MCE working thru my 2 xbox extenders :) (now that was a bit of a chore)

Working also with Emby, Kodi  and ServerWMC,

Axehandler

5717c6eb5d903_win10.jpg

AdrianW

Well, I thought I'd give this a go on my NUC. Upgraded to 10 (from 8.1) installed Media Center and went through the setup. And everything appeared to be running OK.

EMC launches OK,  I can browse all my content and start playback (I'm using MPC-HC as an external player) - but after stopping playback and returning the EMC, more often than not ehshell.exe will hang (it shows as "not responding" in task manger).

Nothing I can do will close Media Center whilst it's in that state, I can't even get task manager on top. Putting the PC to sleep and waking it lets me get access to task manager so I can then kill ehshell.exe.

I've no real idea what's causing the crash - but it seems like it may be EMC minimizing WMC and then restoring it after the external player has finished.

I tried configuring EMC to not minimize WMC - but then MPC-HC starts up behind and I can't see the video, although I can still control playback it with my remote.

So, I'm at a crossroads - do I finally make the switch from EMC and use ET full-time. Or do I just go back to Win 8.1 with a working Media Center with EMC?

Getting WMC with EMC (and MPC-HC) working on 10 seems unlikely at least on my hardware. The guys in the thread at mydigitallife.info were helpful, but we didn't manage to solve my problem.

Overseer

Since you upgraded from 8.1 to 10 your hardware should now have digital entitlement.  Did you try installing Windows 10 as a fresh install instead of an upgrade?

AdrianW

Since you upgraded from 8.1 to 10 your hardware should now have digital entitlement.  Did you try installing Windows 10 as a fresh install instead of an upgrade?

No.

Someone on mydigitallife.info suggested that I should try that. Even just in a VM to see how it goes. I may try that at the weekend. Although I do have Emby server installed on the same PC and I'm loathe to do anything that will mess with that.

• 1 month later...
braddles69

Hi, Just for anyone's info, I've just installed the v8 on my win10 laptop, and it works flawlessly, this was an upgrade from 7 to 8.1 then to win10, so after installation of the v8, all my settings for Emby for WMC were still there and it worked just as before.

Very happy, will wait for a month or two (just before the free upgrade to win10 runs out), and then if all is still good will upgrade my win7 HTPC to win 10 and take the dive...

Thanks for the heads up and the the devs who worked on the WMC for win 10 patch...

Cheers

hedgehogg

Upgrading worked ok for me on the laptop BUT The HTPC no such luck BUT on the plus side rolling back to Win 7 worked flawlessly :)

braddles69

Hedgehogg, what were the stages for rolling back to win 7...just in case?

Thanks 

Nevermind , google is my friend and backups are crucial when loading win 10 digital entitlements. Cheers

Edit

Tried updating the HTPC all went well, WMC pack installed the second time around (after a reboot), however, I couldn't find anyway to have WMC auto launch at HTPC start up, and the real killer was my Fusion Dvico remote (which has been doing HTPC media remote duties for 5 years now) refused to work. I rolled back to win 7. Still the best so far....

Edited by braddles69
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Ian-Highlander

@@axehandler

@@Ian-Highlander

We now have native Hauppauge support available for testing in the Emby Server beta: 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54560-32609-hauppauge-support/?hl=hauppauge

No plugin required. Thanks !

This is great news that Emby is starting to support internal cards and thankyou for the notification @@Luke. Unfortunately my cards are all TBS cards, is Hauppauge the only manufacturer you will be supporting or are there plans to take this further with other manufacturers?