Emby MC in Windows 10 - Success

Cheesegeezer

Ian-Highlander

Taken the plunge with this today and just finished a clean install of Windows 10 on our primary media PC in the living room. WMC now installed using v10 and scanning for channels (found 105 so far so looking good), got to do some thorough testing with everything then drop EMC onto it and see how that performs and hopefully all will be well.

Will report back... :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander

What are you trying to do exactly, change the order of your menus? in WMC rather than EMC?

there's a pretty good GUI out there that allows you to do this. I'll see if i can find it for you.

I've deleted all the menus with patchous media centre config tool except emby and power, but previously the above code would remove the sub-menus (sync etc..) doesn't seem to be taking on anything except the "settings" one..

Tbh I can live with it as it is... Hopefully the new emby theatre nullifies my need for this. Kodi et Al just wouldn't do it....

Ian-Highlander

From my point of view. Almost all seems to work perfectly.

TV works fine, recordings appear to work if triggered manually although I haven't tried scheduling any yet as I'm still setting the system up.

"My Channel Logos" sort of works, in that I've been able to assign logos to each channel, but other parts of its functionality doesn't work (can't increase the number of lines in the EPG, can't centre the logos etc but I can live with that for now.

"HideMediaCenterStrips" also works to hide various WMC menus I'm not interested in seeing.

Only thing I couldn't resolve was "Media Center Studio" just will not run no matter what I try so my usual custom theme is a no go, but again can live with that. I looked at a couple of other options but they just seem to be far too much effort for too little gain so will just manage with the default theme.

EMC appears to all work as expected no differently to it did in WMC7.

• Like 2

Cheesegeezer

Only thing I couldn't resolve was "Media Center Studio" just will not run no matter what I try so my usual custom theme is a no go, but again can live with that. I looked at a couple of other options but they just seem to be far too much effort for too little gain so will just manage with the default theme.

Are you using the original original MCS or have you tried ACS which was Assassin's revamp of it.  It's in the link i posted for LEE.  I meant to try it on my win10 machine last night but got caught up with finishing off decorating my Dining Room.

I'll give it a test on Friday as away to Qatar for a couple of days.

• Like 1

TV works fine, recordings appear to work if triggered manually although I haven't tried scheduling any yet as I'm still setting the system up.

"My Channel Logos" sort of works, in that I've been able to assign logos to each channel, but other parts of its functionality doesn't work (can't increase the number of lines in the EPG, can't centre the logos etc but I can live with that for now.

"HideMediaCenterStrips" also works to hide various WMC menus I'm not interested in seeing.

EMC appears to all work as expected no differently to it did in WMC7.

Soo.. This works in Windows 10 but there's some thing missing for WMC in Windows 10? Have you tested functionality of the DVR to schedule recordings yet? Are there tweaks for getting MCL to fully work yet?

Are you using the original original MCS or have you tried ACS which was Assassin's revamp of it.  It's in the link i posted for LEE.  I meant to try it on my win10 machine last night but got caught up with finishing off decorating my Dining Room.

I'll give it a test on Friday as away to Qatar for a couple of days.

I didn't know assassin was still around. I don't see him much on AVSForums any more.

Ian-Highlander

Come across a little issue which may be a game changer for me. When I schedule a recording, I then can't put the machine to sleep with the remote. If I remove any scheduled recordings, it sleeps and wakes up fine with the remote. Still digging...

Edit: ok, got past that now, it will now switch off if I schedule a recording. Running some testing over the next hour or two with some things scheduled.

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

Slightly irritating, I've got almost all of it working as expected now, but when I first started testing this, live TV recordings had thumb images on them, now any recordings I do don't. No idea what/if I've changed anything that would affect it, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful :)

Cheesegeezer

This link's dead to me completely, just me or is there an issue with that site?

i just clicked the link and it's fine.

I can host the files on my dropbox for you..... 2 secs

Here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/azfemkbskeqqx6a/MCERTBFULL.zip?dl=0

and 2 themes....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o82l6on3emte851/MCETheme%20-%20Dark%20Storm.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrr1pyf82gz7rrr/Shattered%20Glass.zip?dl=0

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

Ian-Highlander

i just clicked the link and it's fine.

I can host the files on my dropbox for you..... 2 secs

Here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/azfemkbskeqqx6a/MCERTBFULL.zip?dl=0

and 2 themes....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o82l6on3emte851/MCETheme%20-%20Dark%20Storm.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrr1pyf82gz7rrr/Shattered%20Glass.zip?dl=0

Fantastic! thankyou :) (although weirdly the original link still doesn't work for me, I can only get to one page on that website the rest give 404 errors).

Pleased to report that MCE RTB appears to work fine in Windows 10 (at least for applying themes which is all I've tried on it so far) and even works with my old MCS theme files (.mct files) too.

Now to play with the rest of it and see if it works fully, might even buy it if it does :D

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

So MCE RTB seems to do just about everything perfectly on Windows 10 WMC.

Both .mce7theme and .mct theme files apply correctly.

Logo changes work better than "My Channel Logos" and every function works (unlike MCL).

Guide editing all works as far as I can tell.

Top banana :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Ian-Highlander

Slightly irritating, I've got almost all of it working as expected now, but when I first started testing this, live TV recordings had thumb images on them, now any recordings I do don't. No idea what/if I've changed anything that would affect it, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful :)

Found it...

For reference if anyone else has this problem, it was the disable Microsoft Video Decoder setting in Shark codecs that I'd installed.
Edited by Ian-Highlander

Hello I had this installed (v8) and everything was ok, then updated with 1511 and WMC Emby locks intermittently not while playing a movie but sometimes at the end when going back to the list of movies, I have reset my PC reinstalled everything including older version of hack and it still locks, has anyone else experienced this? 

Ian-Highlander

I installed it on a clean 1511 build and it's fine, haven't tried it on one that was upgraded to 1511 from the previous build.

Well, it was an interesting experiment but I've gone back to Windows 8.1.  In the end, I couldn't think of an argument to stay with Windows 10 as everything works as well as on 8.1 and Windows 10 breaks My Channel Logos and the Media Browser Configuration tool for me.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Dibbes

v11 became available on Dec 23

System Files Modified Error has been eliminated.

I can only find V11 for x64. Do you have any links?

Ian-Highlander

When does that error message appear, I've not had any issues at all on v10, everything just works including live TV and recording/scheduling.

crash2009
crash2009

When does that error message appear, I've not had any issues at all on v10, everything just works including live TV and recording/scheduling.

Sorry for the delay.  I didn't realize the question was for me.  I was getting the System Files Modified error by attempting to watch a DRM channel inside a session of TeamViewer.  A couple BCDedit commands eliminated the error.   

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives/page283?p=1187809&viewfull=1#post1187809

WMCv11 with TeamViewer plays a live DRM channel over LAN or WAN without any BCDedit.

I can watch my DRM channels from anywhere on the planet. 

Edited by crash2009
  • Like 3

Sorry for the delay.  I didn't realize the question was for me.  I was getting the System Files Modified error by attempting to watch a DRM channel inside a session of TeamViewer.  A couple BCDedit commands eliminated the error.   

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives/page283?p=1187809&viewfull=1#post1187809

WMCv11 with TeamViewer plays a live DRM channel over LAN or WAN without any BCDedit.

I can watch my DRM channels from anywhere on the planet. 

I'm intrigued. Can you give some detail on how you use TeamViewer for this?

Thanks,

CFC

I've just upgraded my HTPC to have an SSD, and at the same time took the option to upgrade from 7 to 10. 

I still find the best interface is WMC, so I'm trying to get it working in 10.

All looks good, but my library is a mix of full dvd rips (video_ts), and some MKV blu-ray rips.

Everything plays, but after playing one thing I then get "cannot play media"...  I guess it's the dvd player leaving things hanging around, which isn't good.  Is there any way to use Kodi's internal player with WMC?

RobsterUK

Fantastic! thankyou :) (although weirdly the original link still doesn't work for me, I can only get to one page on that website the rest give 404 errors).

Pleased to report that MCE RTB appears to work fine in Windows 10 (at least for applying themes which is all I've tried on it so far) and even works with my old MCS theme files (.mct files) too.

Now to play with the rest of it and see if it works fully, might even buy it if it does :D

I know this is a month old, hope you don't mind be jumping in here. But did you need to do anything to get MEC RTB to work?

I've just installed it on Win 10 - already had WMC ver 10 from MDL, and i get an error when trying to open MCE RTB.

56a6254957c89_Exception.png