FreeNAS Emby Media Server to OpenElec HTPC client questions

NASbeginner

NASbeginner

Hello everyone,

I am continuing my research into an appropriate setup for streaming movies from a NAS (planning on building a FreeNAS NAS) to my TV screen. After continuing reading up on all the different options, I think I'vd settled on wanting to install the Emby Media Server onto a jail on a FreeNAS NAS. From there I've learned that I could then run OpenElec on a home theater PC that is built to run the Kodi the client. I would then intall the Emby add-on within the Kodi client and connect to the Emby media server on the NAS. So with all of that I have a few questions:

1) Will the above summary work?

2) If I go with an OpenElec HTPC, will this allow me to direct stream .mkv files to my TV without the need to transcode the media on the NAS first?

3) I want to future proof this system a bit and ensure I can stream .mkv files that suport 4K viewing (Blu Ray Ultra HD). Will this type of HTPC work?

4) What is recommended for the HTPC. Do I buy a prebuilt OpenElec system (one of many that openelec.tv lists -- acemax, wetek, intel next unit of computing kit, ZOTAK, etc?)... or should I build my own?

5) If I'm interested in slinging my browser from a laptop to TV Screen, should I be looking at an Apple TV to install OpenElec for the AirPlay feature, or would one of the above systems work better with Chromecast?

Any thoughts or guidance on this would be much appreciated! I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with any of these systems.

Thank you,

Edited by NASbeginner

Vidman

1)yes

2)yes

3)it depends on the graphics capabilities of the HTPC

4)personally i would recommend the nvidia sheild tv and just install kodi from the play store.

5) openelec is a minimal operating system that is designed to run kodi ...i don't think you can install openelec on apple tv

NASbeginner

Hi Vidman,

Thank you so much. I did find this:

http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/ but it looks like it may be ending soon, so it does look like Apple TV will not be an option.

I will definitely check out nvidia shield tv and see what graphic capabilities I will need for 4K streaming.

Also regarding the .mkv direct streaming question. Once I get Emby add-on installed in the Kodi client (htpc), when I stream from the Emby media server, are their any setting changes that will be required to stream the .mkv file directly, or will it automatically play the .mkv?

Thanks again for the advice. I'm really looking forward to getting all this put together :)

Thank you!

Edited by NASbeginner

Vidman

It will automatically direct stream locally but to direct play requires the paths defined in your emby server library setup are accessible to the htpc either by using unc paths or path substitution

josh4trunks

I do exactly this.

my openelec machines are j1900 motherboards + fanless PSU + small case + remote + cheap ssd as boot drive + 2x1gb laptop ram = around $200 per frontend. I have 5 of them in production across mine and my relatives home. no transcoding, and i never see frames drop like I've noticed with others rasperri pi or android builds.

NASbeginner

Vidman and Josh, thanks for the responses on this.

@@Vidman - what is thedifference between "direct stream locally" and "direct play"? My apologies for my lack of knowledge with all this. Josh - when you noted you do exactly that, was that with defining paths in the emby server...I take it I will need to do that as well?

Also, do you guys recommend I build my own (similiar to your setup Josh), or possibly some of the items that are commercially available? Here are a few options I've found:

Nagrace Android TV Box-Quad Core NT-V6

I'd like to future-proof my set up a bit for Ultra HD Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray, and like the specifications that it says it supports: BD-ISO, 3D BD-ISO. Video format includes .mkv. Has HDMI 2.0 for 4K/Ultra HD Blu Ray. It is running the Rockchip RK3288 (Quad Core Cortex-A17 up to 1.8GHz) and the Quad-core Mali T764 3D GPU. Their site seems to spell out their specification better, but wondering if the few below would cover  the same.

http://www.rock-chips.com/a/en/products/index.html

I've found a couple other devices that are running the newer Rockchip RK3368 (64bits Big.little architecture, Octa-Core Cortex-A53, up to 1.5GHz) with PowerVR SGX6110 GPU, although it seems the RK3288 may be a bit faster performance wise(?):

Kukele CSA90

Rikomagic  (android and linux mini pc's)

KDLINKS A300

Do any of these look like a good option for meeting potential Ultra HD blu ray and 3D Blu Ray direct streaming?

Are any of these an option to purchase and then somehow install and run OpenElec on them? Would this be better than Android? I really like the OpenElec option, or would Kodi run just as fine over Android and possibly provide me additional features on these boxes?

Thanks guys!

Edited by NASbeginner

josh4trunks

@@Vidman - what is thedifference between "direct stream locally" and "direct play"? My apologies for my lack of knowledge with all this. Josh - when you noted you do exactly that, was that with defining paths in the emby server...I take it I will need to do that as well?

Also, do you guys recommend I build my own (similiar to your setup Josh), or possibly some of the items that are commercially available? Here are a few options I've found:

I'd like to future-proof my set up a bit for Ultra HD Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray, and like the specifications that it says it supports: BD-ISO, 3D BD-ISO. Video format includes .mkv. Has HDMI 2.0 for 4K/Ultra HD Blu Ray. It is running the Rockchip RK3288 (Quad Core Cortex-A17 up to 1.8GHz) and the Quad-core Mali T764 3D GPU. Their site seems to spell out their specification better, but wondering if the few below would cover the same.

I've found a couple other devices that are running the newer Rockchip RK3368 (64bits Big.little architecture, Octa-Core Cortex-A53, up to 1.5GHz) with PowerVR SGX6110 GPU, although it seems the RK3288 may be a bit faster performance wise(?):

Kukele CSA90

Rikomagic (android and linux mini pc's)

KDLINKS A300

Do any of these look like a good option for meeting potential Ultra HD blu ray and 3D Blu Ray direct streaming?

Are any of these an option to purchase and then somehow install and run OpenElec on them? Would this be better than Android? I really like the OpenElec option, or would Kodi run just as fine over Android and possibly provide me additional features on these boxes?

Thanks guys!

I just set the emby IP, and user in the add-on. from there Emby passes kodi everything it needs to know (the NFS paths to all my files).

I cant speak on that hardware. I only every use openelec on x86_64 hardware because like I said, I've never seen ARM hardware run without dropping a frame somewhere in the kodi GUI. but some people don't seem to care or notice.

Edited by josh4trunks

NASbeginner

Thanks Josh - if I want to stay with an openelec build Iis there a way to still have 4K/ultra hd blu ray and 3D blu ray support and able to direct stream .mkv and even BD-ISO/3D BD-ISO? I'd really like to go with openelec for Kodi/Emby add-on.

Edited by NASbeginner

josh4trunks

Thanks Josh - if I want to stay with an openelec build Iis there a way to still have 4K/ultra hd blu ray and 3D blu ray support and able to direct stream .mkv and even BD-ISO/3D BD-ISO? I'd really like to go with openelec for Kodi/Emby add-on.

I wouldn't know, every screen I have is 1080p or less, and I haven't used a DVD for years.

I'd like to future-proof my set up a bit for Ultra HD Blu Ray and 3D Blu Ray, and like the specifications that it says it supports: BD-ISO, 3D BD-ISO. Video format includes .mkv. Has HDMI 2.0 for 4K/Ultra HD Blu Ray. It is running the Rockchip RK3288 (Quad Core Cortex-A17 up to 1.8GHz) and the Quad-core Mali T764 3D GPU. Their site seems to spell out their specification better, but wondering if the few below would cover  the same.

Kukele CSA90

Rikomagic  (android and linux mini pc's)

KDLINKS A300

Thanks guys!

Why not just go with Nvidia Shield TV ($200) and run Kodi on it? You get Kodi plus all the other apps (netflix, pandora, crackle, etc etc), and acts as a front-end gaming machine as well.

It's 4k, all bells and whistles and with Kodi and Emby for Kodi, it's a perfect Emby client.

sluggo45

Second the recommendation for the Shield TV. I have two now, replacing my old NUC boxes running OpenElec.

I can re-purpose the latter now for some other projects and the Shield works just as well, if not better, with Kodi and I get all the streaming apps too (which you can make shortcuts to inside Kodi if your skin supports it - big advantage of Kodi on Android). So Netflix, etc. all work on the same box with the same remote. Even my Flirc works with it. It's great.

I am using Emby via a Freenas jail too, btw. 

Vidman

Second the recommendation for the Shield TV. I have two now, replacing my old NUC boxes running OpenElec.

I can re-purpose the latter now for some other projects and the Shield works just as well, if not better, with Kodi and I get all the streaming apps too (which you can make shortcuts to inside Kodi if your skin supports it - big advantage of Kodi on Android). So Netflix, etc. all work on the same box with the same remote. Even my Flirc works with it. It's great.

I am using Emby via a Freenas jail too, btw.

You 3rd it

NASbeginner

@Sluggo - that is great to hear. I've been reading up on the Shield TV this week and I really like it. However, is there a way to get Amazon Instant Video up and running on it? I see that Amazon does not support it on the Shield?

Also, can you get 3D blu ray playback on the Shield?

Thanks guys!

Edited by NASbeginner

sluggo45

There's no Amazon Prime on the Shield, no. There is an Amazon app for Android TV - but only for Sony TVs (that run Android TV, i.e. 2015 models).

This is typical Amazon stupidity and is probably related to their long running war with Google. This summer some folks at XDA managed to get the app off a Sony TV and it worked fine on the Shield....until Amazon blocked it.

Vidman is correct - if Amazon ever decides to reverse this ridiculous policy of exclusives then you'll see it on the Shield, no problem, because we know it already works. Never happen on an OpenElec box running Kodi. One of my TV's is a Sony XBR running Android TV and it works just fine, including Amazon, which only irritates me more :)

The Shield supports just about everything else, including 4k Netflix. It is an awesome little device.

There IS a way to get Amazon Prime content playing on the Shield - you can cast it from a PC/laptop. Since the Shield (and Android TV in general) acts as a Chromecast, you can use the casting feature from a Chrome browser to send the video over to the TV just like with any Chromecast. This actually works quite well, except for the fact you have to browse Prime in a web browser off a PC/laptop (phone/tablet won't work, unless the Fire tablets allow Chromecasting?)

I use my Surface Pro 3 for this purpose when I want to watch Amazon exclusives on my non-Sony TV. 

NASbeginner

Thanks sluggo. I have some time as I need to build my NAS first, but the Shield will be right up towards the top of my list. I'd really like a player that can play BD-ISO. Do you know if Kodi can play ISO from the Shield TV? Not sure if this is more a Kodi functionality issue or a Shield TV issue.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
sluggo45

Thanks sluggo. I have some time as I need to build my NAS first, but the Shield will be right up towards the top of my list. I'd really like a player that can play BD-ISO. Do you know if Kodi can play ISO from the Shield TV? Not sure if this is more a Kodi functionality issue or a Shield TV issue.

Thanks!

Yes it can, I have a number of them from when I ripped my dvd collection. 

NASbeginner

Thanks sluggo. Looks like the only thing it does not have for BD-ISO playback then is full blu-ray menu support, which what I am finding is that no media player really offers I think, except for maybe a Vidon XBMC box like the new Tronsmart Vega s95 (which doesn't offer the latest Kodi version).

Edited by NASbeginner