Chapter images in media folder

shorty1483

shorty1483

As said here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27727-Where-are-Chapter-images-stored?

Where are Chapter images stored?

Really like to see the possibility to have chapter images in in the media folders in a subfolder called e.g. chapters. Same thing like with spare backdrops.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

• Like 26

under /metadata. it's not a bad idea, it's just that it will force lots of other software applications to be able to handle them being there without side effects, which means that for a little while there will be a pain period.

• Like 4

I think it would be a good idea too simply for ease of use when wanting to replace an image. The extraction script gets it right 90% of the time but that 10% of blurry weirdo images is a bit of an eye sore... to me anyway.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
shorty1483

under /metadata. it's not a bad idea, it's just that it will force lots of other software applications to be able to handle them being there without side effects, which means that for a little while there will be a pain period.

Can't the images be stored as hidden files with a dot as prefix? Or with a Emby specific naming like "<filename>.chapterX.jpg" in a folder called chapter, so other programs don't react on the pics?

Just remembered the thread after I read thread of @AdrianW http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29830-scan-extremely-slow-re-extracting-all-chapter-thumbnails/&do=findComment&comment=295204

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
MrWebsmith

bump to see about more support for this.. i recently removed my tv library and im now re-enduring a massive chapter image extraction again after putting the media back "in" ...   would be nicer/faster to have it scan chapter images that are already "there" vs re creating them for 35000 tv shows again.

Edited by MrWebsmith
  • Like 1

AdrianW

bump to see about more support for this.. i recently removed my tv library and im now re-enduring a massive chapter image extraction again after putting the media back "in" ...   would be nicer/faster to have it scan chapter images that are already "there" vs re creating them for 35000 tv shows again.

I'd like the first post again if I could.

Not only would it make that type of process quicker, but it'd also enable users to fix those "bad" chapter images where you get an all black image or an image of a fade between two scenes.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Michael K.

I just started testing this feature. I love the concept, but I would estimate that about 2/3 of my chapter image extractions are black.

I'm using several different TV series/seasons to test with. I'm guess is that the start of new chapters are where commercials would normally have ended, and the show fades back in from black.

@@Luke has mentioned in another posts that "...It [Emby] generates images at 30 frames and the encoder automatically picks the best one. that number can be increased, but it substantially increases the cpu requirement and amount of time required."

I'd like to have an option within Emby to choose the sample length. This way I could choose more frames. I would not mind the increase in CPU requirement, considering that I would perform the chapter image extraction only once, as the as new media is added.

Here is the other thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/8849-server-chapter-thumbs-improvements/

Aside from the extraction processes, I would also advocate that having the chapter images saved in the media folder would be a nice way to transfer media and avoid extraction in the future, much like is done with metadata and artwork.

This would be in line with having to do the image exaction only once, when the new media is added (as mentioned above).

It would reduce resource load (mainly CPU) over the lifetime of managing a library and moving media.

I don't think this kind of organization should be looked at as a way to fix/edit the chapter images, because that would be very tedious. Even for an occasional fix/edit, I think it would be better to accomplish that from within Emby, perhaps by allowing the user to set the sample length or by allowing the user to scrub the video to a desired frame. That would be keeping in line with the goal of managing media form within Emby.

Edited by Michael K.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
AdrianW

Bump.

@@Luke - please consider this request. It would help so much when library structures are altered.

(If anyone else would like this feature - please click "Like This" on the first post).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2

PenkethBoy

+1 from me

Media folder is the way to go for me - as no point re doing extraction if it already exists - but if you do have an option like for internet metadata equivalent to get new images etc

And if you do want to go the route of modifying some all you need to do is replace a file or two

• Like 1

AdrianW

On Version 3.1.6133.21963 dev

I switched on Debug Logging and ran a chapter scan - in the log I can see it running ffmpeg image extracts on lots of existing content that already has chapter images, none are being saved. In the last day I've only seen chapter images being saved for newly added content.

I do have my metadata path set to a folder on my NAS "ImagesByNameMB3" - and I can see the chapter images in /metadata/library below that. For the 15 minutes that this log covers there were 941 executions of ffmpeg.exe for chapter image extracts but no new data was stored into /metadata/library/.

Here's the log.

It appears that the server is extracting the chapters before it realises it already has them, and then simply discards the images. 

Edited by AdrianW

blade005

On Version 3.1.6133.21963 dev

I switched on Debug Logging and ran a chapter scan - in the log I can see it running ffmpeg image extracts on lots of existing content that already has chapter images, none are being saved. In the last day I've only seen chapter images being saved for newly added content.

I do have my metadata path set to a folder on my NAS "ImagesByNameMB3" - and I can see the chapter images in /metadata/library below that. For the 15 minutes that this log covers there were 941 executions of ffmpeg.exe for chapter image extracts but no new data was stored into /metadata/library/.

Here's the log.

It appears that the server is extracting the chapters before it realises it already has them, and then simply discards the images. 

I have seen this behavior in the past as well. In particular with my Recorded TV content. 

For some reason at very random intervals (months in between), my system will slow to a crawl until I realize that Emby has decided to scan and do image extractions on my entire Recorded TV folder again, even though nothing new has been added and nothing in the path or file structures has changed.

But, at least we have the option to turn off Image Extraction at the Library Level, which is what I have done with my Recorded TV library and most of my TV content. Chapter images seem to be more applicable to Movies with true chapter points in them.

Edited by blade005

blade005

if date timestamps on the videos change, they are reprobed and will get new chapter images.

Luke,

What alters a timestamp?

I have had items in my Recorded TV library that to my knowledge have remained unchanged, yet Emby will periodically re-probe them for chapter images. If it were just a handful of items, maybe not a huge issue. But, with 800+ items in library, it becomes a resource drain and makes using Emby during this process nearly impossible.

PenkethBoy

which ever timestamp ( there are a minimum of four in windows) emby looks at - its a program access that will change the file timestamp

Some badly behaved programs could change something just from reading

some programs dont change the file timestamp even though they do change the file e.g. Bulk Rename Utility, MKVMerge etc

so some process changed your file data - if you restored files from a backup, ran a scan, added some tags to photo's/music/video files ......

do you sync files to a cloud service - is it a two way sync?

the possibilities are endless without specifics

blade005

which ever timestamp ( there are a minimum of four in windows) emby looks at - its a program access that will change the file timestamp

Some badly behaved programs could change something just from reading

some programs dont change the file timestamp even though they do change the file e.g. Bulk Rename Utility, MKVMerge etc

so some process changed your file data - if you restored files from a backup, ran a scan, added some tags to photo's/music/video files ......

do you sync files to a cloud service - is it a two way sync?

the possibilities are endless without specifics

None of the above. They get created, moved to there library location, get scanned in and sit there.

No worries. I just turned off chapter extraction at the library level for all TV. They really don't serve a purpose and consume resources. Just use them for movies.

PenkethBoy

unless the server has a routine to refresh the images periodically like it does for nfo's - which i doubt although luke can confirm this

something is setting the server to think your files have changed

i hope you do not have a virus etc

AdrianW

If the video timestamps had been altered then surely the chapter extracts would actually write new chapter images. But that isn't happening - the existing chapter images aren't being replaced.

aspdend

+1 from me

Media folder is the way to go for me - as no point re doing extraction if it already exists - but if you do have an option like for internet metadata equivalent to get new images etc

And if you do want to go the route of modifying some all you need to do is replace a file or two

I agree - media folder all the way

PenkethBoy

If the video timestamps had been altered then surely the chapter extracts would actually write new chapter images. But that isn't happening - the existing chapter images aren't being replaced.

then in your case the timestamps are not changing

the question is why is emby probing files that have not changed

Latchmor

When I read Lukes comment I thought he meant the file timestamps (date modified etc), not the actual video timestamps.

I may be wrong, it has happened before  ;)

However this may still not apply to you if your file date modified hasn't changed...

• 4 weeks later...
AdrianW

BUMP

@@Luke - please consider this request. I'm really getting annoyed with the number of times Emby decides to delete my chapter images because it does a scan when content is offline. It takes me many days to get back to normal. 

Having chapter images stored with content would mean only having to extract them once instead of multiple times. It also allows us to re-organise content without having to endure another chapter image extraction. And it also allows us to replace any "bad" images (I often get black images because chapters exist at a fade out/fade in point).

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
AdrianW

BUMP again.

Lost all of my chapter images yet again - due to a scan running when my NAS was unavailable (samba seemed to have died).

In fact all of my library images were not showing - I had to perform a rescan with "Extract chapter images during the library scan" turned off to prevent the scan from taking a few days to complete. Now, I'll need to run the chapter image extraction task in stages to get all the chapter images back again (this is about the fourth time I've had to do this).

It would be really helpful if the scan just ignored libraries on inaccessible servers.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2