Choppy playback in MBT on new Nuc

JasonS

I just bought a new Intel NuC Celeron and i'm unable to get video to play in MBT smoothly.

I can play 1080p videos in media player with lav and DXVA native and cpu stays below 10% with copyback it pegs at 100%

Problem is I cant set DXVA to native in MBT, why is that option not available?

So when I use MBT I get stutters and out of sync audio.

Anyone have an easy fix? I tried to open the lav decoder while a movie was playing and change it to native but when I stopped the movie and replayed it, it went back to copyback. Also quicksync same issues at copyback.

Please help.

• 3 weeks later...
cowsr4eating

@@JasonS

I tested MBT on several systems before buying a NUC.  My experience was MBT had issues without fairly high-end graphics, fast processor and hardwired network.  I could not see that any resource was a bottleneck, but the playback and GUI response would not pass the WAF.  I did find setting VLC as an external player for all video types made marginal systems usable, but I was not happy with the swapping back and forth between VLC and MBT.

I ended up buying a NUC5i3RYK NUC with 8GB RAM and a 256GB M.2 drive.  It is probably overkill, but it plays movies and 1080P liveTV from a HDhomerun Connect just fine.  In fact I am very happy with the performance.  Wish LiveTV had a guide and a "what's on", "up next", etc, but the performance is great.  I do not use any external players and and used all of the MBT defaults, except I bumped up the max throughput from 3Mb to 30Mb.

My only tip for LiveTV is to NOT install the HDHomerun drivers.  I did and had choppy, unusable TV.  I'm sure this is documented somewhere but I did not read ... I went straight to installing blindly.  Removed the HDHomerun drivers and viola! 

Hoping the next version of MBT adds the LiveTV features missing and improves performance.  My feedback is the 5th gen i3 NUC listed above does work with defaults so I can only assume the issue is your celeron and/or graphics.  Hope the next MBT release works better with the celeron.

lulzyatlas

AFAIK DXVA Native isn't supported in the current Theater and there's no way to manipulate the parameters LAV defaults to for Emby outside of the options.

Your best bet would be configuring an external player, hopefully the new Emby Theater will support it.

I've found VLC to be a good external player when I've needed one lots of optimizations you can set for speed boosts, and the command line to launch it allows for a lot of options that blend well with jumping from Emby and back.

I've heard a lot of people stand by MPC as well but I've never used it heavily.