Why is overscan and underscan an issue?

rakosnik

rakosnik

I am one of the "small percentage of people" who gets blue boarders when I use Emby in WMC. I did not edit my Windows Registry. I tried going into my WMC settings and changed the configuration from TV to monitor and that solved the problem in Emby, but it made everything in WMC look bigger and I didn't like the way that looked, so I switched it back. Then I changed OverScanPadding in the MBCommonXml.config file as it says how to do in this post. My settings ended up being Bottom -38, Lefft -68, Right -67, Top -39. It was a pain staking process to figure out the precise numbers to use.

My question is why does this happen? Every mediaplayer piece of software I currently uses has a setting to easily proportionally expand the image to fill the screen and put black bars either on the top and bottom or sides if needed. Why doesn't Emby automatically fill the screen? I used to have MediaBrowser on this WMC HTPC before I upgraded to Emby and I didn't have this issue with it.

AdrianW

Check your TV zoom settings - make sure it's on "Just scan" or whatever your TV calls its 1:1 pixel mapping mode. Do not use a mode of "16:9" as in the vast majority of cases this will zoom the image and you'll lose pixels of the edge.

Those values you've shown are extreme - mine are all set to zero. But settings of around -1 or 1 may be needed in some circumstances,

Edited by AdrianW

You can also check your video card setup as some of those have corrections for this as well.

The answer to your actual question is because this technology was created in like 2003 when CRT monitors were still in wide use.

rakosnik

My TV has settings has a setting called "Screen Size." I've been using on 100%. There is also a setting called normal, but I lose some picture when I put it on that. I haven't tried it on that setting when using Emby yet, but again I'm looking for a way to set everything up so it looks good all of the time. I don't want one configuration when I'm using Emby and another configuration when I'm not using Emby.

Once again, I wasn't having any overscan or underscan issues with Media Browser and I'm not having any issues the rest of the time I use WMC.

Also I have the blueboarder issue when I use Emby on my Xbox 360 with a different TV even after I adjusted the OverScanPadding. Is that because the settings I was adjusting were just to the local client?

I don't mess much with video cards. How do you suggest I start looking into seeing if my settings in my video card is causing the issue?