New hardware - nuc/brix/macmini

Schroinx

Schroinx

I am looking for some hardware to replace my ageing mac mini. It's hefty taxed when running ET with even modest madVR settings and this results in that the fan spin up. So I am looking for a replacement. The Skylake nuc would have been a obvious choice if they where fitted with a HDMI 2.0 port and 4k60p ability. I wonder when they will come with this?
An other road is to get a second hand nuc/brix or newer mac mini, that just have a faster GPU than my present one a HD4000 or something.

Cheap, silent, small and fast enough to run madVR. Any recommendations? Or should I wait?

My i5 nuc has Intel HD graphics 6000 (supports 4K). It comes with a mini-hdmi port and 7.1 audio output. I don't find it noticeably loud, even under load, but of course, YMMV. It has built in wireless/bluetooth, network port, mini DisplayPort, and 4 USB 3.0 ports.

If you have some notebook RAM, a 2.5" hard drive or m2 SSD, and an OS to put on it, you can get one new for around $300. If you do, be sure to download the Intel driver pack to install, as you'll need them.

• Like 1