Android TV / Fire TV / Roku 4 Performance

andstein85

andstein85

I love Emby to pieces. I use it on my xbox360 in my theater room and now a Fire Stick for my bedroom TV. But now its time to ditch the xbox360 and get a new player for the theater room. The Fire Stick is great but its not got enough horsepower to direct stream ANY of media content.

WMV's w/ wmapro 5.1 audio and MKV's with either DTS 5.1 or AC3 5.1 at somewhere between 15Mbps to 30Mbps bitrate.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on streamers out on the market today and keep coming back to the Fire TV and Android TV mostly because I'm an avid VLC supporter. However, here comes the new ROKU 4 with some pretty sick specs that also has Emby support...

So my question is this:

From a dev standpoint, which of the following devices does the Emby app perform best on?

1. Android TV (nvidia shiel / nexus player)

2. Fire TV (the latest version offering 4K streaming)

3. ROKU 4 (4K streaming at up to 60 fps)

they're all great choices in all honesty. but be forewarned, none of these streaming devices are really putting any effort into supporting wmv, so a vlc based choice might make sense. or you could look at our folder sync feature to start converting to mp4's.

• Like 2

andstein85

I've actually already been testing converting my WMV's to MKV's using dvdfab's converter with positive results thus far, just haven't found the motivation and time to convert them all right now. Plus I wouldn't be able to stream most of them to my Xbox unless I temporarily kept the originals but I don't have 4tb of free space at the moment.

• 2 months later...

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I just signed up for amazon prime with the 73.00 special and already have netflix. I'm fed up streaming through a browser. I'm going to use my HTPC for emby and wmc for recorded tv until I decide to upgrade to windows 10 and emby live tv which means needing to buy the dlna version of hdhomerun.

which streamer fire tv box with 4k support or roku4. Which device works with emby the best? Which device handles  and mkv files the best. I rather not have to use mcbuddy.

Thanks

theniteow1

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I just signed up for amazon prime with the 73.00 special and already have netflix. I'm fed up streaming through a browser. I'm going to use my HTPC for emby and wmc for recorded tv until I decide to upgrade to windows 10 and emby live tv which means needing to buy the dlna version of hdhomerun.

which streamer fire tv box with 4k support or roku4. Which device works with emby the best? Which device handles  and mkv files the best. I rather not have to use mcbuddy.

Thanks

I have a Roku 3 (Not 4), and the FireTV 2014 & 2015.  IMO the FireTV offers the best user interface (especially with Live TV), and I can stream almost anything with direct play.  If it has to transcode it, the FireTV does an excellent job as well.  The Roku seems clunky, and just too kiddish.  It's great for my son to play Youtube videos and such, but as far as a device to replace your home theater experience, I think the FireTV or any Android device is hands down the best.  Since you already upgraded to Windows 10, you will be stuck using the DLNA version of HDHomeRun. That's why I sticked with Windows 7.  However, I've seen where there is a hack to transport Windows Media Center to Windows 10.  You could try that as well.  I'm just not as brave... lol

http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-center-running-on-windows-10-with-a-f-1729919907

Edited by theniteow1

Thanks for the reply

My main emby server is win7 serverwmc. I have emby on a win 10 box to test it before I swap my media HD's into it and buying the dlna hdhomerun.

From the research I did most like the roku over the fire TV,however that was not for accessing emby.

Are you streaming mkv's and wmc recorded TV without transcoding?

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

brendabryg

He should be, yes.

If he is in-fact direct streaming WMC recorded TV (WTV container) I would love to know the details of how.  I've never had any success direct streaming mpeg2 WTV files on my Nexus Player.  Direct streaming of mpeg2 LIVE TV works now with http on serverwmc, but no recordings??

I can not stream WTV WMC recorded TV shows on my win 10 laptop running the ap or theater. It's a core duo and I can watch mkv movies. The app says it's transcoding  my recorded shows. Theater is a bit better but not perfect. I've tried decreasing to 720 with which does not help. Theater on the server works fine which is what we use for TV and movies. The server web client also buffers. I just assumed my amd tricore can't handle the server web client.  As long as theater works I'm happy for now it's only my wife and I and we usually watch the same thing.

My son has a roku and will be coming up in a few days so i can test it. Seems you guys think fire tv is the way to go?

Okay, sorry, if they are .wtv files then I'm not positive they will be direct-streamable.  I was thinking .ts files from our recording engine.  

There's a lot of upgrading to do both hardware and software. First I want to get a roku or fire tv which ever one works best with emby. I'm not in a rush as long as WMC on my 7 box is works. I figure  upgrading the server will be 500+ a new hdhomerun dlna another 80 and misc. One thing about being married the wife doesn't see a need for spending money if things still work. I try to tell her tech is changing and we need to change with it. You get that rolling of there eyes and say okkkk I need a different approach. Maybe I can make a trade.

theniteow1

Thanks for the reply

My main emby server is win7 serverwmc. I have emby on a win 10 box to test it before I swap my media HD's into it and buying the dlna hdhomerun.

From the research I did most like the roku over the fire TV,however that was not for accessing emby.

Are you streaming mkv's and wmc recorded TV without transcoding?

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Yes, if you are not using Emby Roku maybe a better choice, but the FireTV/Android App is a superior interface on the FireTV as compared to the Roku.  And I direct stream MKV, MP4, LiveTV, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
epayson85

Just a heads up for everyone. Firetv is great and super fast using Emby. However... The latest generation firetv is DOGSHIT. They literally released a beta and charged us a $100 for it... Feels like the ceton echo all over again. Surround sound and audio issues galore... Volume issues. It constantly crashes and freezes... Not just Emby but Netflix too and even just using the menu. They use wifi instead of Bluetooth for the remote and it constantly disconnects / is in responsive. Sometimes the unit will power on then just freeze on the amazon boot screen... Needs to be reset like 5 times before it finally turns on. It will go to sleep but then never turn back on... Probably because it doesn't detect the remote and the you have to unplug it and plug it back in. My unit sits about 6 feet from my couch and isnt inside any cabinet... So I can only imagine other peoples frustration. Don't believe me either... Go read the reviews online. They are lucky most of their reviews are about the first generation. They continue to promise software fixes for these issues and its been since October now... I am sure they will eventually fix it but to be honest... My firetv stick is slower but its so much more reliable.

Interesting.  The only issue I have with my 2nd gen FTV is the fact that DD doesn't work.  I've never seen all of these other issues.  I use primarily Emby on it but also Sling TV for ESPN.

What I did notice with the 2nd gen is a marked improvement in image quality (due, I'm sure to the upgrades they made to support 4k).

theniteow1

Interesting.  The only issue I have with my 2nd gen FTV is the fact that DD doesn't work.  I've never seen all of these other issues.  I use primarily Emby on it but also Sling TV for ESPN.

What I did notice with the 2nd gen is a marked improvement in image quality (due, I'm sure to the upgrades they made to support 4k).

Ditto, I own two 2nd Gen FireTVs, and they work great.  I have seen Emby crash every now and then, but it's rare.

epayson85

Hmmm maybe I got a lemon then? But I see a lot of reviewers both on amazons website and other websites claiming the same thing as me. They all say generation 1 is better. All I use mine for is Emby and Netflix. Just had it not wake up from sleep. Then I unplug it, plug it back in and gets stuck on the amazon logo screen. I have done nothing to it and only have those two apps installed. It's very odd.

Actually, there is one other issue with my 2nd gen that I totally forgot about.

When I unboxed it, it refused to connect to the supplied remote.  I went and got my 1st gen remote and it paired to it just fine but the one that came with it simply cannot be seen.

This wasn't a huge deal for me because I use a Harmony Hub and CEC to control it.  I do get an annoying pop-up when launching though that tells me there is no remote control.

I imagine I could have returned it or gotten a replacement remote.  I just haven't investigated it.

epayson85

Yea my remote constantly has issues and others have repeated the same thing. It uses wifi instead of Bluetooth to save battery but they clearly never figured it out.

Regardless I happened to be looking online today and noticed my local Walmart had a nexus tv in stock for $79. I went there expecting it to not actually be available and sure enough they had it... Even better it was only $26!! So far so good. No crashing, no freezing, and to be honest fast forwarding / rewinding recorded tv is far more responsive too. I hope the firetv can improve because I like having the ability to watch primetv but honestly the gf and I have yet to watch anything on there yet.

epayson85

Well I can say I have been away on business this week and no complaint from the gf yet so clearly the nexus is working great hahaha

mjktg99

I have a Roku 3 and Sheild TV.  Technology wise, format compatibility wise, emby app wise the Sheild wins hands down.  HOWEVER, the amount of apps available to the Roku far exceeds those available on any other STB streaming device.  The emby app for Roku currently is based off of Roku's old platform and definitely needs a refresh based on the capabilities of the new os 7.  Once that comes, I can see Roku being my choice no matter what.